Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Location of fuel pump relay?

Old 10-28-02, 10:48 PM   #1
humpster
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Unhappy Location of fuel pump relay?

I have a 1992 GS300 turbo with a very irritating intermittent fault. The engine will not restart after a run of says 20min. This doesnít happen all the time, just most of the time. The engine will turn over and cough into life but will run very roughly for about 45 sec then die. Or, the engine will run sweetly for 3-6 sec then die.
I have replaced the fuel filter, map sensor, fuel computer, engine computer, and fuel pressure regulator. None have solved the problem.
Currently the fuel pump is powered by a 12volt supply from the air purifier located in the boot. I have put a voltmeter across the plug terminals of the fuel computer and have noticed that there is a large voltage drop when the pump dies and I think itís from the main 12v feed to the fuel computer.

My question is (and I hope like hell that one of you will know). Where is the fuel relay? Iíve got this funny feeling that the fuel relay could be the culprit. Why? Cos the other day my friend suffered the identical problem in his BMW E36Ö. the fault was a dodgy fuel relay.

Any help would be dearly appreciated
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
humpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-02, 06:33 AM   #2
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

1992 eh?? must be the beta version of the car. lol j/k. well even though the gs only started production in 1993. i'm not really sure what the problem of your car is. it doesn't sound like a electrical issue to me though. sounds more of a mechanical issure. something to do with heat. when it cools down it will run.
Old 10-29-02, 05:03 PM   #3
humpster
Driver School Candidate

Yip she's a genuine late 1992 Japanese import Aristo into New Zealand. It's definitely electrical cos the voltage drops away to the fuel pump to zero. Maybe.......a mechanical malfunction has caused an electrical component to produce faulty data to the ecu. It's got me beat?
humpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-02, 05:24 PM   #4
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

have you checked the fuel pump? that's what could be causing the voltage drop.
In the gloom and darkness of the night, when there is a sudden flash of light, a person will recognize objects; in the same way, the one with a flash of insight sees according to reality--"This is how sorrow works; this is how it arises; this is how it can come to an end; this is the path leading to that end."
2Lexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-02, 05:24 PM