GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

whats up guys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 09:10 PM
kounmechou
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build man! Do you feel any difference at all with the header and you said that the threated bung won't housed the stock 02 sensors so what sensors did you end up using?
Old 11-05-13, 12:24 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

he o2 sensors i used were generic o2 sensor replacements for my supras. just standard 1 wire sensors. they are threaded and have a flange to mount on the stock manifold, but can be unthreaded from the flange to fit the header.

got the alignment done today. hopefully it improves gas mileage even further. tirs plus told me the alignment was too far off and couldnt be done. didnt even try. went to tire kingdom, they aligned it no problem. got everything in the green. i left the spec sheet there by mistake though or id post the specs they got it too. drives great. no more slop at all.

as for the header, it made a difference in power, exhaust tone, and gas mileage. however i bought stuff and made a 2.25in midpipe. guy i got the header from said it was a 2.25in outlet. not true, it is a 2.5in outlet and the apexi catback i have is a 2.5in inlet. so later ill buy the stuff to remake the midpipe in 2.5in which should help it even more. once my supras are done ill put an aristo 2jzgte swap in it. bt for now, i want to keep it n/a. less chance of me breaking stuff this way. its my daily driver after all.
Old 12-05-13, 08:24 AM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice Job

Man I get so upset reading your post about the tard that lied to you. Sorry to hear that.

Maybe the positive is that you have a better car now than you might have had ?...

Anyway great job! Your attention to detail is mind-blowing.
Old 12-29-13, 04:43 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Well, since ill be driving even further for work, i got an SAFC2 used off craigslist and installed it to try and improve gas mileage. set it to -30% fuel at low throttle, and -15% fuel; at high throttle up to ~4400rpm then tapered it off to 0. throttle split is 35% for low and 36% for high. running 93 octane it seems pretty good so far. just topped off the tank and reset the trip meter. been getting ~20mpg with ac, so ill report what i can get it up to.

also, i couldnt find any info on anyone installing an SAFC2 into a gs300, but saw lots of questions on how to install it so heres my pics. I put it in the ashtray. Messed up and nicked the wood trim, so need to get a new piece of trim for it. its on my list for the next junkyard trip.

now you see it

now you dont

and here it is lit up at night

and this should help people in the future with wiring one in.
Old 12-29-13, 04:52 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome job on the header and SAFC installed. I would take to the dyno for a tune or at least install a wide 02 so you can check you Air fuel ratios instead of just pulling fuel. Can you post a sound clip of you header and exhaust combo? Great job keep up the good work!!
Old 12-29-13, 05:04 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Im not worried about making max power out of this thing. it is my DD. I have 3 MK2 Supras to play with. 1 has a 7mgte/r154/ms2 swap that is being changed to a 2jzgte/t56/ms3 pro setup. Another is getting an HKS side draft carb kit complete with cams, oversized valves, ATI damper, 18lb twin plate clutch setup, high compression pistons, the works, and the beater, well, eventually itll prolly get a 1uz swap.
Old 12-29-13, 06:00 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice line up of cars!! I am a 7m fan too!! I have an 89 MK3 Supra with 57 trim CT-26 and AEM Series 1 Standalone. Oh yeah do you think you could post a sound clip from your GS header and exhaust combo?
Old 12-29-13, 08:48 PM
williamb82
Advanced

ill try, but i doubt the mic on either of our digital cameras will pick it up properly at all.
Old 12-30-13, 01:57 PM
nomi64
Driver School Candidate

Awesome dude... Keep up the great work.. Your an inspiration to me ..!
Old 12-30-13, 02:32 PM
williamb82
Advanced

drove ~100 miles last night. readjusted the safc. its -24% at low throttle now. was getting some stunbling at cruise on hills for some reason. kinda wierd actually. no pinging or knocking, i had the radio off and windows down to listen. wondering if maybe its a side effect of the egr. maybe if i disable it i can lean it out even more. idk, might try it after this tank is done.
Old 01-05-14, 04:06 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Well, I found the #6 wire was still arcing to ground. also the ecu took a dump the other night. car died, and i could hear the injectors firing with the key in on but the car off. swapped my other ecu back in and it runs perfect now. engine light is no longer on for the egr either. so prolly the ecu was on its way out for awhile.

anyway, I changed the oil, filte, plugs and wires today. rruns much smoother. also reinstalled the lower plastic engine cover in hopes that it helps the gas mileage as well as most my driving is highways. im hoping it improves aerodynamics enough to make a difference. we shall see. also adjusted the cable from the trans as tight as possible to keep line pressure as high as possible so there is less chance of any slippage.
Old 01-12-14, 01:58 PM
williamb82
Advanced

well, car was acting similar to how my 85 supra acted before the fuel pump finally bit the dust. car has 298k on it so i bought a new pump, screen, and fuel filter etc... changed the pump today. the pump itself was probalby ok, but i changed it anyway since i had the new pump already and it was cheap. this is what i think the problem was. it is the rubber hose going from the fuel pump hanger assembly to the metal pressure line in the tank. first one you see when the cover is pulled off the gas tank.

yeah, so deteriorated it was literally falling apart. it also had screw type clamps on it so probably not the original fuel pump in the car. i replaced the hose and used the proper pinch type clamps. car runs much better now and ive pulled the fuel back to -28%. still driving great. prolly gonna replace the fpr next. when pulling the vac line from it while at idle it doesnt change how the engine runs at all. the vacuum diaphragm to allow it to pull the fuel pressure down at higher vacuum levels is probably dry rotted. gonna pull the upper y pipe again also to do a more thorough cleaning of the egr passages. gonna drill out the pressed in pipe plug to make sure i can get all the carbon out and then put a new plug in it. and ill rig up a hanger setup to hang most of the egr valve in my gallon can of carb cleaner for a few hours. should disolve the carbon built up i couldnt scrape out.

so far up to this point im from mid 19mpg to 22mpg. still hoping to get it over 25mpg.
Old 01-12-14, 03:58 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Wow man!! Good luck you found your fuel pump problem before it left you stranded somewhere!! I was actually recently thinking about replacing my fuel pump just because it 20 years old and I don't want to wait until it fails before I change it. I have a brand new Walbro fuel pump sitting around that I want to put in but I not sure how the car will perform with the extra fuel flow. I am pretty sure the regulator will just bypass the extra fuel so I may do it.
Old 01-12-14, 05:09 PM
williamb82
Advanced

idk if the gs has a fuel pressure safety built in. the supras do, and you have to drill it out, or bypass it when upgrading to a higher flowing fuel pump. its basically just a restricter in the return line to keep pressure in the system if the fpr fails.
Old 01-12-14, 05:39 PM
lethdumb
Driver School Candidate

What kind of gas mileage you getting by leaning it out. Do you have a a/f gauge just so your not going super lean under wot?

Quick Reply: whats up guys?