GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Damn. Two years and 50k miles will do a lot to a car. **Pics**

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 08:44 PM
CallmeQ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn. Two years and 50k miles will do a lot to a car. **Pics**

When I first got this car I put some pics up and then basically went into hiding until I needed to ask a question. I bought the car with the intention of sinking some big money into upgrades and that basically never happened.

2 years later and my money went into a new girlfriend, new apartment and a new puppy. I had thought over many times of getting rid of the car for a civic or something more economical due to crazy gas prices. Then I started to come here and see the latest wave of threads with everyone showing the 1GS some love and it inspired me to at least get my car back to a presentable status. It is by no means a show car, but it is now a reliable DD that looks half decent.

Here is a brief history of the last 2 years in pictures:

Second day home. One owner since 1993. Paid off in 1998. Kept until 2009 when I bought it. 121000 miles.

Can't beat free 18's with tires.

At 130k the torque converter went bad right after I ordered shocks and springs. The Lexus dealer wrote the car off for a variety of reasons but I remained persistent. So this is after a lower mileage trans swap, KYB shocks and Tanabe springs, and new tires.

Winter of 2010 I bent two of my rims after the salt pretty much destroyed the pavement around here. In a scramble with no money to repair them I searched eBay and found a set of 18's for $150 shipped. I put them on but the elements quickly ate them up. The car sat in bad shape due to a myriad of problems. The car looked like crap.

In between a host of other problems, one of my ball joints decided to divorce the spindle at 40mph one night. No pics, other than the usual wheel tucked under the fender. I got away with very minor damage to the fender thank god.

So here it is 2011 and I have been busting *** to get her back into shape.
This year alone she got:
-Water Pump, Timing Belt
-Cam and Crank Seals
-Distributor O-Ring
-New Alternator
-Drive Belt
-Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor
-Radiator
Overall she got:
-Front/Rear Pads and Rotors
-Front Wheel Bearings
-Sway Bar Links
-Tie Rod Ends
-Upper Control Arms
-Lower Ball Joints
-New Calipers with Hardware
-20% Tint
-Double Din DVD Player/Radio
-Alpine Type R Mounted in the rear deck
-Front Drivers Window Regulator
There's probably more but I'm forgetting at the moment.

Excuse the stupid Blackberry Picture. This is how she currently sits. Same rims, refinished by hand courtesy of yours truly.

EDIT: I got a better pic! It looks less like drug dealers car LOL

Currently 171,920 miles.

I just want to say that everyone here has been a huge inspiration to get my car back on track. I don't have huge money to sink into her but slowly but surely she is coming along. I have done everything on the car by myself with the exception of the tint and I couldn't be happier. I was going to wait for a better picture before I started this thread but I got too anxious. There will be more pics coming soon!
Old 06-27-11, 09:17 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

I am very glad to see you haven't given up on the old girl! A little love goes a long way with the 1GS, and looks great! Can't go wrong with black on gold either.

I still have a few 1GS parts and modifications (aristo rear garnish, a great sounding exhaust, etc) around that I am selling pretty cheap if you'd like them. PM me if you'd be interested. I could meet you in PA if you wanted them.
Old 06-27-11, 11:25 PM
lanthern22
Driver

That's cool, I just got flash backs of when i first got my GS. You have a clean car cant wait to see what you do with it.
Old 06-28-11, 08:13 PM
USMCgs3
Driver

Your gs is nice and clean. I like the gold and black scheme!!! Time for some boost and coilovers.
Old 06-28-11, 09:26 PM
crazyniick
Driver School Candidate

yeah thats a clean ride!! i like that 20% tint!!
Old 06-29-11, 09:50 AM
CallmeQ
Driver

Thanks for the kind words guys!
@lexatlast..don't forget to hold that exhaust for me. I definitely want that.
@USMC, yes that is the next step, first I'm going to get a good set of coilovers and then by next spring I should have everything I need to tackle either NA-T or a GTE swap. The motor is stout but I have this unknown oil leak that I think is coming from the rear main seal so for all of that effort I'd rather just do the motor swap.
@crazyniick...Thanks bro, 20% seems to be right where I want it. I thought of going darker but the cops around here harass me at night already. Thank god for a tint waiver!
Old 06-29-11, 09:56 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

glad that GS is well taken care of
Old 06-29-11, 10:23 AM
Cuban GS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful GS! definitely one of the cleanest i have seen in a LONG time!! looking forward to future mods!
Old 06-30-11, 02:27 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just spent close to $2K on my 95 GS also. It started out with a bad alternator then I decided to flush my radiator. All of sudden, I end up spending two grand because my heater hose broke. After that I decided to do a tune up since I got it four years ago and really done nothing to it except the lower ball joints and fixing up the vehicle like coilovers, 19' Volk Racing SF Challenge, Supra TT front/rear brake swap, JDM front headlights, rear taillights and swapping the stock Pioneer system to yours Nakamichi. Next thing I know, I end up replacing my Supra TT rotors because it was time to replace it anyway. I thought I can save some money by using my Supra TT original rotors I saved when I switch to cross drilled rotors but found out that I have to get new one so I end up paying more with brand new cross drilled. While I as on a roll spending, I decided to just get it all done so I end up replacing:
-Water Pump, Timing Belt
-Cam and Crank Seals
-New Alternator
-Drive Belt
-Heater Hose & Heater Iddle Valve
-Thermostat & Thermostat Gasket
-Valve Gaskets
-Change all fluids like Transmission, Differential, and Power Steering
-Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor
-Radiator Cap
-Front/Rear Cross Drilled Rotors
I know there's couple item I'm forgetting but the GS drive like new again.
Old 06-30-11, 09:53 AM
CallmeQ
Driver

Whats up man! I need to take a road trip out there to you some time and take a look at your cars. I'm glad you feel my pain/pleasure lol. I did most of the stuff that you did too, you just reminded me of a bunch of stuff I never listed. I think in the last 2 years I've put about 2k-2500 in my GS. Considering I only bought her for 3300 I think I did ok.

How is the Nakamichi system holding up? Is it a noticeable difference over the Pioneer?

I think somewhere down the line I may upgrade to LS or Supra brakes just for fun. I may do the LS just because the calipers are cheaper, especially around here.
Old 06-30-11, 03:19 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the Nakamichi. If you decide to do brakes upgrade, I recommend the Supra TT brakes over the LS because the LS require shaving part of the calipers in order to make it fit on our GS vs the Supra TT is pretty much plug and play.
Old 06-30-11, 05:33 PM
GS Nemesis
Rookie

sexxy gs man. the 1st gen body style is timeless. and u prove that saying. keep the G clean bro.
Old 07-01-11, 02:53 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u just reminded me i need to do all this stuff..... GREAT JOB ON THE WHIP!!!!
Old 07-01-11, 04:36 PM
CallmeQ
Driver

Thanks again peoples! I just moved into an apartment complex though and my car keeps getting dinged Does PDR take car of door dings or am I going to have to take it to a body shop?
Old 07-01-11, 10:57 PM
94ls
Driver

Gotta say the wheels turned out great. A set of factory lexus centres should fit in those holes to finished them off if you can find a set for a deal. Car really looks great, kudos!

Quick Reply: Damn. Two years and 50k miles will do a lot to a car. **Pics**