GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How does everyones lowered car ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 09:01 AM
CallmeQ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does everyones lowered car ride?

I'm on KYB GR-2/Tanabe combo and it seems that my car is pretty bouncy and tends to take the larger bumps pretty hard. On a smooth road it feels great but once I hit some waves or roughness it seems magnified 10x over.

Does anyone else experience that?

How does coil overs feel on a rough surface?
Old 06-20-11, 10:13 AM
vvtisupra
Driver School Candidate

I'm running TeinHA at half stiffness. Ride is pretty nice. Slightly firm but nothing near harsh.
Old 06-20-11, 06:58 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On other cars I noticed that lowering springs were quite a bit more bouncy than coilovers. I dont know if its due to a softer spring or what, but I wont get anything besides coils now.
Old 06-20-11, 07:01 PM
CallmeQ
Driver

That seems to line up with the experiences that I am reading about. Excuse the noobish question but what is the main different between springs and coil overs other than height adjustment?
Old 06-20-11, 07:21 PM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Im running the same thing only cause that's the way i bought it. Its horrible. I hit a hard bump and bent my rim pretty bad, luckily i was able to fix it. The bumps are hard on the car. There's no space for your shocks to take the hits. Put it like this...its like going down for a squat with your legs in a 90 degree angle. I'm getting coilovers so i can drop it low for events and ride a little higher or stock when i'm driving regularly. With coilovers you can adjust it low, medium or high. And it also has to do with what area you live in.
Old 06-20-11, 07:24 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by CallmeQ
That seems to line up with the experiences that I am reading about. Excuse the noobish question but what is the main different between springs and coil overs other than height adjustment?
Coilovers are a 1 piece set up with height and dampening adjustments. When you get springs/shocks they work well enough, but werent necessarily designed to go with one another. Ive only seen one set up work really well, I think it was like gixxer-drew/bilstein or something like that. Besides that most people lean towards coilovers nowadays. It also helps that the price of new coilovers has dropped quite a bit, especially with some lower end (but not bad) brands cranking out coils for all different makes/models.
Old 06-20-11, 07:47 PM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CallmeQ
Lowering Springs just lower your car to the desired measurement of the spring. Some give you 1 inch, 2 inch etc. they come that way already. (correct me if im wrong) Coilovers are fully customizable. (not a word but it fits the sentence thank you. lol) it comes with a wrench so you can adjust the desired height.
Old 06-20-11, 07:48 PM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matador
Coilovers are a 1 piece set up with height and dampening adjustments. When you get springs/shocks they work well enough, but werent necessarily designed to go with one another. Ive only seen one set up work really well, I think it was like gixxer-drew/bilstein or something like that. Besides that most people lean towards coilovers nowadays. It also helps that the price of new coilovers has dropped quite a bit, especially with some lower end (but not bad) brands cranking out coils for all different makes/models.
^^^^ What he said lol.
Old 06-20-11, 08:57 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

of course lowering springs are going to be bouncy/hard, they're not designed to be like that. coilovers on the other hand, such as my k-sports, are 100% adjustable, including, height, rebound, and damper. the Tein HA's are garbage. i know first hand, as i had mine, and if you go lower enough to come close to rubbing the wheel wells, you turn up the damnper, and it feels like a mexican lowrider on hydrualics. i'm so glad they siezed on me causing me to have to buy new ones.

get a good set of NEW coilovers, and it'll fix that boucny/hardness your feeling
Old 06-21-11, 10:01 AM
CallmeQ
Driver

Thank you everyone. So I pretty much am decided on getting coil overs once I get some other issues out of the way. I want to remain cost effective so I may go with the Megan's or K-sports depending on what the research uncovers about each.

Originally Posted by ReeM
Im running the same thing only cause that's the way i bought it. Its horrible. I hit a hard bump and bent my rim pretty bad, luckily i was able to fix it. The bumps are hard on the car. There's no space for your shocks to take the hits. Put it like this...its like going down for a squat with your legs in a 90 degree angle. I'm getting coilovers so i can drop it low for events and ride a little higher or stock when i'm driving regularly. With coilovers you can adjust it low, medium or high. And it also has to do with what area you live in.

Thats how I feel. I drive up to New York occasionally and just came back from DC a couple weeks ago and the ride was a mess on the rougher streets. It definitely feels like there is no room for the suspension to travel. Which is weird given the fact that the car isn't slammed or anything like that. This setup must be made for super smooth japanese roads or something like that.
Old 06-21-11, 04:13 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

I'm sooo happy with my K-sports, firm enough it doens't cause major issues with rubbing, but soft enough to be able to DD it, and i know, cause i put over 80km's on it just to work and back daily