Charging system issues help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 02:16 AM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system issues help

Hey guys,
I have a 93 gs with an aristo swap. Recently I noticed an oil leak and through a brief visual I thought valve cover gaskets. When I actually pulled out the tools I saw the cover was actually cracked. So, I fixed the oil leak and took it for a test drive to my boys house to borrow his volt meter ( battery light stayed on a second or 2 longer than normal). On my way there I hit boost and before full boost the car shut off and I coasted to the light ( all dashlights were out. Got into a parking lot and finally got it started with a boost. I moved it forthe tow truck to have easy access and it shutoff when hit the brakes. Got it home and did some tests the next day and swapped the alternator ( figured it was just and old oil soaked alt). Finally got the volt meter from my boy and the new alt wasn't charging the battery ( battery voltage dropping at idle). I did the trusty disconnect the battery while the car is running test and the car instantly died. I checked all the fuses and saw that big 100A fuse looked mangled so I swapped it out with a brand new one from Lexus ( pita). With still no charge I decided to send back the alt and get another. I put it on and do my trusty test and it dies again ( oh yeah still no dash lights and battery is less than 6 months old). Help!!!!!
Old 04-28-11, 10:52 AM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

No help thoughts ideas nothing?
Old 07-14-11, 02:33 AM
Turbo147
Driver School Candidate

mostly its the distributor gasket failing and leaking on to the alternator and causing it to fail.. or the water pump failing and doing the same
Old 07-17-11, 10:55 AM
RMounier
Driver School Candidate

I would check the positive battery cables for corrosion & tightness. sounds like the fuse box under the hood isn't getting power. check the lighting fuses for power.
Old 08-30-11, 08:43 PM
whattaGS
Driver School Candidate

Did you fix the problem, I'm having similar issues.
Old 09-02-11, 05:12 AM
slammd_gs3
Driver

check all your engine grounds,clean them and put them back.
Old 09-05-11, 02:58 AM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I fixed the issue on mine about 4 months ago. I changed the alternator twice, that 100a fusible link in the engine bay fuse box twice and had the same problems. I had a cracked valve cover bad cam seals so needless to say a massive oil leak. On the tt motor there is a ground located under the middle of the intake manifold ( just follow your Dipstick) that is the ground for alternator and gauges according to the wiring diagram I have. I removed inspected cleaned with brake cleaner and that basically did it for charging according to my safc. Thanx for your help guys
Old 09-05-11, 03:21 AM
whattaGS
Driver School Candidate

I removed the alternator cleaned up the grounds near the fuse box, checked the positive and negative cables, I think it was the ground located behind the battery, it has four white wires grounded to the body but the paint was not removed. The problem is gone and my wife reports trouble free ride for 3 days know. I had the alternator bench tested and it was good. Problem solved with exposition new ground to the four wires behind the battery near the fuse box. Symptoms were battery light and alternator not charging.