GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Squeling and low idle RPM...Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 08:26 PM
DWOU15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Squeling and low idle RPM...Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this??!!

I tried changing my spark plugs in my Lexus GS300, therefor i had to remove the throttle body to get to the 2 cylinders underneath. After i put everything back, the car began to SQUEL very loudly and the idle rpm dropped almost to the point of turning off. I also found that my back 2 cylinders spark plugs had oil on them, possibly a leakage somehwere but im not sure.
ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!THNX!!
Old 04-11-11, 02:44 PM
RAMPAGEsd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that noise is more than likely your belts and could just be time to change them. as far as the low rpm check all your vacuum hoses. for the oil issue is your car burning up oil?
Old 04-11-11, 03:32 PM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

When you removed the throttle body did you get coolant on the belt? Also, ensure all of your vacuum hoses are reconnected properly. The oil on the last two spark plugs is the result of the valve cover gasket leaking more than likely.
Old 04-11-11, 09:58 PM
AirForceGS
Driver

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
When you removed the throttle body did you get coolant on the belt? Also, ensure all of your vacuum hoses are reconnected properly. The oil on the last two spark plugs is the result of the valve cover gasket leaking more than likely.
Get a bar of soap, turn on your engine. touch the soap on your moving belt on both sides... Be careful of loose objects or you fingers getting caught. squeal most likely gone now.
Old 04-12-11, 09:28 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The oil on the back 2 spark plugs may be related to your valve cover gasket being old.. there are other possibilities too as well.
(Did your motor overheat anytime in the last few months? If it did this may have led to a chain of events that I can explain later if so.)

keep an eye on this oil in the spark plug chamber as this can cause misfiring/low idle(almost to the point of shutting off) due to the spark grounding out on the engine block vs going to the spark plug.

A can of brake cleaner, a long enough popsicle stick, and a twisted up thin rag can get in there to soak up the oil and remove it..

Also for the funny idle:
[Do this only if you have idle problems after soaking up the oil w/ a rag from those 2 spark plugs you talked about above]

-1 can of brake cleaner w/ straw spray extension

To check for vacuum leaks have a friend get in the driver seat and keep the engines rpm's at about 1000rpm. Then get can get a can of brake cleaner(starting fluid can work[don't recommend for this] can work but if it touches anything hot or arcing/ sparking you may have a ball of flames in your face. Brake cleaner is a bit safer for this).

Put the little straw spray extension onto the brake cleaner and perform burst sprays in sporadic areas where you see rubber vacuum lines or anywhere you know that there is vacuum. spray these "burst sprays" up and down and all around trying to find any vacuum seals that are broken, and any rubber vacuum lines that are old and broken.

You will know when you hit the problematic spot when the engines rpm's really bog down and the engine may shut off.[you are causing the fuel mixture to run rich because the broken/exposed vacuum line is now also sucking in your flamable brake cleaner spray and your Air to fuel ratio is completely outta whack, causing the motor to run rugged and shutdown]

Then check the area you just sprayed for old rubber lines, or exposed vacuum passages, etc and replace.

If you have any questions let me know.
just trying to help from past experiences.

Last edited by kene; 04-25-11 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 11:00 AM
Stolen
Driver

I have to agree, w everyone here u probably spilled coolant on your belts, at least u didnt forget to tighten the coolant line under the trottle body like I did. As for the funny idle check the vaccum lines, also check tht u tightened the nutson the bottom of the throttle body, not just the bracket ones. You can miss those, and your car will run real crappy. Definately change the valve cover gaskets. I bet they are dried out like mine and letting oil seep everywhere.
Old 04-12-11, 01:10 PM
DWOU15
Driver School Candidate

Thnx for all the help. Ok i got the squeling to stop and i removed the oil from the spark plugs. i cleaned out the throttle as well and now my RPM idle is too high! its at 1500rpm and sometimes up to 2000rpm. It jumps dramatically when you switch out of parking and or brake to slow down.
Could the problem be the throttle lines?
Old 04-12-11, 01:31 PM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

I have you try to see the spark plug cables are in the correct place?? Also you should buy a new valve cover gasket to prevent oil from leaking into the spark plugs. I just change my spark plug cables on Sunday. Now the car shakes alot and it rides rough now. So this week I will check if I connected the cables right. Didn't change the spark yet.
Old 04-12-11, 06:20 PM
DWOU15
Driver School Candidate

Thats the same thing that is happening to mine. It shakes alot and rides rough. I got the idle rpm drop down to 1000 again but now its rumbling. Im thinking it may be the TPS sensor, or it may just need time to adjust.
Old 04-13-11, 06:23 AM
kene
Lead Lap

TPS sensor can also cause your symptoms too. Did you remove it from the throttle body?
Also do you have a timing light to get an idea of what is going on as far as ignition timing?

Triple check that you have your spark plug cables going to the correct spark plugs. It also sounds like it more than likely may be a vacuum line is either not connected or fully exposed to the atmosphere. try the brake cleaner method I told you about. And spray around the throttle body and any other areas that you worked on. It will pin point where the vacuum leak is so you can fix it.

I know on my throttle body there are 3 small vacuum lines that run into the top of the throttle body, and 1 line that sends coolant that I had to remove to get access to the spark plugs. Check these.

AJ it sounds like the cables may be arranged in the wrong order somewhere.

Last edited by kene; 04-13-11 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 11:06 AM
DWOU15
Driver School Candidate

Yes i removed the TPS sensor and all the vacuum lines going to it.
no i dont have a timing light so i havent been able to try that.
ive checked the sparks over and over and they look right. You could be right about the vacuum line, ill try your method tonight when i get home.
Those 3 vacuum lines that you mentioned all seem to be ok but maybe theres a messed up vacuum line that is old and may have cracked.
And some how theres is oil in the bottom of my air filter. And my Air filter hose does have cracks around the seals but i taped it temporarily. Could that be the problem?
Old 04-13-11, 12:43 PM
kene
Lead Lap

If the air filter hose is cracked after the mass flow sensor it will cause an erratic idle.

This happened to me this last Sunday when I changed my spark plugs(everything was fine beforehand, except for a slight rough idle due to the plugs).

After I put everything back together, whenever I started the motor the car was almost about to die.

Then I played with it the large air intake rubber coupling(with the 2 metal screw rings) at the throttle body more, and the revs were too high around 1,700 -2000 rpms. I then realized that although I put the coupling back (loose on purpose), there was a very large 1.5" crack running lengthwise along that coupling underneath.

So I rotated the crack upwards and tightened the coupling, thereby closing the crack significantly and fixing my high/low rev problem.

The oil in the bottom of your air filter very well could come from that metal recirculation outlet on the passenger rear section of the valve cover. It is connected the the long black rubber air intake tube(there is weird plastic box shaped resonator/oil catch can connected to it...if you still have a stock intake). when the motor is running the vacuum from the motor is directing any excess oil from this outlet port towards that plastic resonator box(at the bottom of your rubber intake tube) and also back in through the throttle body.

The only thing I could envision is either there maybe was a bit of excessive oil pumped into the motor during an oil change and that could have gone through that supposed outlet valve during start up, and then dripped down the intake tube to your filter.

or

Your motor had some sort of "hiccup" and the excess oil came up through that port.(Not sure about this one?)

-Also rubber hoses may look fine, but sometimes microscopically they still leak(the rubber lines in which air/fuel fumes may run through become sponge-like overtime).
-Or at times they become very hard and even though they fit fine they don't seal perfectly.
Old 04-13-11, 01:50 PM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

So this weekend I will disconnect then reconnect my spark plug cables in the right place. DWOU15 I will let you know if this stops the shaking and rough driving.
Old 04-13-11, 06:46 PM
DWOU15
Driver School Candidate

kene i think your right about the air hose. My air hose is cracked around the screw rings on both ends but i have temporarily tapped it around the cracks until my short ram air intake arrives.
Do you think i should go get a diagnostic test ($65, needs ODB1, only 1 in town)?
Now smoke seems to be coming out the around the 2 back sparks i just put in. Those are the ones with the oil leakage in them. Is it worth paying to get the valve cover gasket replaced?
Old 04-13-11, 06:48 PM
DWOU15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJ STYLEZ
So this weekend I will disconnect then reconnect my spark plug cables in the right place. DWOU15 I will let you know if this stops the shaking and rough driving.
Alright thnx AJ STYLEZ

Quick Reply: Squeling and low idle RPM...Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this??!!