GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

I might get kicked out... but it is worth the chance.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 11:17 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb I might get kicked out... but it is worth the chance.....

First of all, who am I?
My name is AJ 'Jmax' B. Native of CA (Born in El Centro, lived in Mexicali), living in AZ since 2000. Since 94' as a 13 year old, I fell in love the first time I saw a JZS147 visiting my family in LA. It was a pearl white 2 tone with gold emblems, parked at a Toys R' Us. Fast-forward to 2001.
After I got a job at a Toyota dealership as a tech, 2 months in my new job, I saw in the back of the used car lot my future car. It was dusty with a used car tag of 1325. Got a hold of the used cars sales manager and long story short, I owned my first very own car: a 1995 pearl white 2 tone GS300 with 45K miles. That’s right, 45K miles and super clean tan interior.
After enjoying the car in stock form for about 3 years, I had an accident and my front end was mildly damaged. By that time I was already working for a Mercedes-Benz body shop. During this time I had already started getting interested in VIP style and JZX90/100 sport sedan styling. Since I was a body shop tech, the insurance cut me the check for the repairs. I had 3K to spend and I didn’t know where to start. It was April of 2005. After searching the internet for info about 1st Gens, I found Club Lexus mid May. I started reading it (and still do) on a daily basis and by December I became a member using kidzik007 as my user name. That was my Quake/Unreal/Duke Nukem/StarCraft user name . I am not the ‘post-in-all-new-threads’ type of guy. If I don’t have anything constructive to say, I just ****. But I do read a lot of threads. After getting a job at a major tax software company in 2006, I decided to keep my hobbies and skills alive by doing lots of side jobs involving paint and FG modifications. I won’t mention my company name or anything so the mods don’t get the wrong idea, but all I am trying to do is tell you guys who I am. Now, I have been member of other JZS forums and so far, to me, this is the best one in the planet. I like the quality of members, the respect everyone displays in here and the content many people provide in here. This is where my request comes in…

MODS or FORUM OWNERS, it would be very nice if you could re-organize the GS300 1st Gen Section.
Not to disgruntled or mad or pointing it out at anyone, but I AM tired of new members creating threads for questions that have been already answered. These new threads bury other important threads and worthwhile discussions.

Also It would be nice to have SECTIONS: a suspension and tires section, Tech section and Interior/Exterior section. Every section could have stickies of FAQs and newbie helpers.

I don’t know what it takes but I am willing to help and contribute in whatever way possible. I don’t believe I speak for myself but for all the other members that regularly post here. Again, this is not a rant, but more like a wish.

I have some nice DIY articles I have wanted to post and also I have been doing R&D for other bits of information about our cars to make them more enjoyable. This is the only site I can consider to post them because of the quality of the members and the only website I would consider to become a Vendor if I ever make it that far with my R&D adventures. The frustrating part is that I am afraid I would post the DIYs I worked on and they will get
buried under newbie question threads... I believe some of our members dont even bother posting DIY's anymore because of this. All this is to make this website better. Please do not misunderstand me. By far, this is my favourite Lexus/Toyota webiste followed by jzxproject.

Thank you for your attention... and if I get banned because of this... well, it was nice posting here.

Last edited by jmax.garage; 04-06-10 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 12:17 PM
rudedog35
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup your banned.....j/k....
i remember those newbie days just like it was yesterday....
not knowing the search was there, till bout a month in and than utilized it more and more...
im sure if we give all newbies time they will learn...
but i hear you also....
Old 04-06-10, 01:12 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

For the DIYs, you can request that they be posted as stickies at the top. As far as the other suggestions, I see where you are coming from, but tires/wheels, engine, suspension, etc. already exist on CL as forums for owners of all years/models. The reality of our little corner of CL is that it has the lowest traffic of any of the subforums. We are a rare, but not dying breed. You would never get banned for posting suggestions here. Constructive input is well-received by the administrator (DaveGS4) and the moderators. It's nice to read your story and know how you came to own a 1GS. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-06-10, 01:46 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Thanks for being open about the feedback. Thats what I like about this palce.
I do know that our community is small but rather active and I do expect a surge in members as our plattforms become cheaper and cheaper, and maybe as we hopefully see a 1st Gen in D1/Formula D.

Is there a specific mod I can talk to regarding the stiky's and DIY's?

What I have available:
-JDM vs USDM Headlight FAQ
-The Suspension thread I started comparing parts from other models
-IS300 Gated Shifter DIY
-NeffyWrap DIY: A Pillars, Steering wheel, headliner

Soon to finish:
-Dash removal, dash painting DIY
-Installing new black carpet DIY
-DIY Dramatic interior lightning
-DIY dyeing seat belts

To come:
-DIY Look-a-like K-Break fog light setup
-DIY Trunk dramatic lightning
-DIY System install

EDIT: BTW, can you tell one fo my primary duties at work is creating/editing KB articles? LOL

Last edited by jmax.garage; 04-06-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 07:13 PM
fstlane
Driver

I agree completely kidzik, a tech/diy section would be awesome. And maybe too a FAQ section for the questions that come up all the time, with answers/fixes to common problems for our cars. Maybe an engine swap section, and NA-T section. There is a lot of info out there, and it would be really beneficial all compiled into one area. Keeping the main part of the section open to general chat about 1g's.

I can say this I would be more than happy to help out however I can as well. This site is the only one I goto for anything really relating to my GS. And have learned a lot about it, enough to convince me to keep it, and keep upgrading it for while.
Old 04-06-10, 08:53 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside from the DIY stickies I dont see anything else changing. A few forums have subsections such as performance etc, but they are higher trafficked areas. The 1GS forum is rather slow compared to the 2GS or 1SC forum. Sections such as wheels/tires etc are found in other ares of the site for all members to easily access.
Old 04-06-10, 11:20 PM
147noob
Pole Position

x2 to what kidzik is saying. Just as an example on jzxp u can go ask car and model specific questions go make a build thread in one section and have another section to ask simple questions that u should have already known but just want a second opinion on its not like hes saying anything is wrong with this site or the way its setup more or less lets just see a few subsections and order i would be happy if we just separate it into general, performance, and build threads i would be happy with that first thing is first wheel section if another person asks another what offset will fit my car question i might just kill myself and I've only had my 1g since December lol
Old 04-07-10, 05:33 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

I'm very happy that someone brought this up.

I'll be honest, the last moderator I saw post in these forums regularly was Seize, and I have no idea where he has gone lately.

Additional Stickies would be wonderful. While I don't own this car anymore, I avidly remember having to search countless times for information that was being asked about because there was no set standard to find it. I'd gladly contribute as well to make this section better.
Old 04-07-10, 05:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We are having the same thing in the 3gen GS section. You can check out what I started as a FAQ thread to help minimize the same thread over and over and over again. Its a start anyway. I took the idea from the 2gen ISx50 section from when I had mine.
Old 04-07-10, 09:02 AM
link13
Lead Lap

The 2GS forum has a DIY sticky with links to DIY write ups. IIRC, some are articles hosted elsewhere and there are links from the sticky post and others are DIY threads linked from the sticky. I think even something as simple as that would be a huge help. Also, all of the suggested write ups kidzik007 mentioned would be useful here.
Old 04-08-10, 07:31 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

So would it be OK if I host the articles in my website (or blog) then make a thread with links to it? I was thinking of making a thread with DIY's and each post would be a DIY then ask a mod to lock it so no one could post replies jsut to keep the thread clean
Old 04-08-10, 09:04 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kidzik007
So would it be OK if I host the articles in my website (or blog) then make a thread with links to it? I was thinking of making a thread with DIY's and each post would be a DIY then ask a mod to lock it so no one could post replies jsut to keep the thread clean
That's pretty much how the 2GS forum is set up except that I believe there are replies on that thread. Do we even have a moderator in here anymore? If not, I can sound the horn and get one of them to help. Thank you for your eagerness to share information with us.
Old 04-08-10, 06:17 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You definitely have my support. I did check up your Toyota and Lexus models colors site and your contributions on brochures of Lexus models which take lots of time and effort. Since you are a tech your expertise will help us on topics we surely would not able to figure out on our own. A good example is the Aristo conversion thread you help me out with rewiring JDM headlights to make corner lights work as running lights also.
Old 04-08-10, 07:52 PM
147noob
Pole Position

better idea couldnt we just make kidzik a moderator i mean how hard can it be
Old 04-08-10, 10:54 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

^^

there are protocols to follow for that.

but if two dedicated members stepped up and were nominated, it shouldn't be that big an issue.

Quick Reply: I might get kicked out... but it is worth the chance.....