GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 01:27 PM
Losaun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens

Is there a vendor that makes clear lenses for the 1st Gen GS300?
Old 11-28-09, 03:16 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

are you talking about clear lenses as in no orange rflector?

or clear as in, no lines on the lenses?

cause there is not a vendor that makes any that are a straight replacement without the lines on them.

and the clear reflector, well that's an easy mod to do yourself, and doens't need a lense, just need to bake them open and pull the relfector

someone does make the delined lenses, but you have to cut your lense in half and glue part of the lense onto the other part, which is VERY sketchy to do
Old 11-28-09, 10:50 PM
Losaun
Driver

A company that makes clear aftermarket lenses for the GS (No lines)
Old 11-29-09, 01:12 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

there is only one, and even then, it's something you could make yourself, and a complete waste of money. since you have to cut a whole in your lense, and then glue thiers in it's place.

so bascially your cutting a section of your lense out where the lines are, and glueing a flat piece of plastic in it's place
Old 11-30-09, 05:59 PM
Losaun
Driver

Originally Posted by deknick
there is only one, and even then, it's something you could make yourself, and a complete waste of money. since you have to cut a whole in your lense, and then glue thiers in it's place.

so bascially your cutting a section of your lense out where the lines are, and glueing a flat piece of plastic in it's place
Thank you homie.... Is there any thing else that can be done? I am doing a high beam, low beam, signal light project / LED conversion....
Old 11-30-09, 06:31 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

what kind of led conversion are you doing?

and what conversions are you doing?

a projector retrofit?
Old 11-30-09, 06:33 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

i'm just about to bake my spare set apart in the next couple days to start another headligh mod, not to sure what i'm going to do, since my other set is the only set like them that anyone has ever seen. So i'm not sure what i'm doing next, but we'll see how it goes.

i'm curious as to what can be done with the high beams that you have planned
Old 12-01-09, 02:24 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Losaun
Thank you homie.... Is there any thing else that can be done? I am doing a high beam, low beam, signal light project / LED conversion....
You can sand the inside of the lenses flat until the lines are gone then polish it clear again.
Old 12-07-09, 10:21 PM
Losaun
Driver

Originally Posted by deknick
i'm just about to bake my spare set apart in the next couple days to start another headligh mod, not to sure what i'm going to do, since my other set is the only set like them that anyone has ever seen. So i'm not sure what i'm doing next, but we'll see how it goes.

i'm curious as to what can be done with the high beams that you have planned
Well I have a auto leveling unit from a bmw 330i. that I was going to attempt to apply to that GS. The High beam will be a Acura TL or Audi A6 Retro projector.
Old 12-07-09, 10:39 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

i claim your headlights nick lol i love those. cash in hand if you sell them. and the deline thing your talking about is that the garage9? or something else
Old 12-08-09, 03:21 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

garage9/jager engineering. They make alota stuff for the gs including the chrome window trim. any1 actually try their clear lenses?
Old 12-08-09, 04:11 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

those are the 'flat plastic pieces' theya re talking about... i find the garage9 lenses far less cheap and far less time consuming than sanding your own. Besides to do ANY mods to your headlamps you still have to have a spare set anyways...
Old 12-08-09, 08:56 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

vindereal, read my posts that i have posted in here already.

i was talking about them. other than that, noone else has come close to making another set.

I have baked my other set apart, and looked at the insides, and i REALLY don't think those can be sanded down
that would take a VERY long time, and you would be left with next to nothing left of the lense, a single small pebble would shatter whatevers left. theres not alot of plastic there, and whatever there is, is filled with lines.
it would be VERY risky(atleast in a climate like the one i live in) to do that. cause the risk of cracking one after would be to high
Old 12-18-09, 01:11 AM
SharkGTS
Rookie

Default clear lenses

we (i) spent a lot of time getting the shape right to CNC the acrylic lenses, then create some vacuum molds with seals, elongated my molding oven - and built several sets of clear lenses.

not the perfect solution, but a solution. Acrylic is very forgiving so with a bit of time edges can be rounded and polished etc.

I think the result looks pretty good on the ones we converted here because the plastic of the originals is so horribly cheap and now most are yellowed with age.

it is what it is, but not prepared at this time to make more of them. price wouldn't cover the shop time and getting the feedback we were getting - expectations are too high.

ohh and what would be sick is not the audi christmas lights but one (that's 1) LED (white or blue) only mounted bottom pointed up to give ambient light to the lense housing, and directed right on the polished alum bezels we had installed on the projector light.

Last edited by SharkGTS; 12-18-09 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 09:04 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Prestige Japan and Garage Freedom in j-land would sand the lenses... but that costs about 600 bux. lol
No cheap/easy solution for this one. BTW, apparently Garage9 doesn't seem to be selling the covers... ;(

been saving for some for a while...

Quick Reply: Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens