GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 09:21 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it's tough, time consuming, and very risky. I went through 2 sets of lights before i got mine right.

I have another method which deknick and i discussed tonight, and I will post it up here as soon as i have a finished set.
Old 01-08-10, 06:53 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Share! Sanding is hard and risky as well. Im curious as to what you guys came up with
Old 01-08-10, 08:57 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

soon

1 week and i should have the prototype done
Old 01-08-10, 03:04 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok good cant wait
Old 01-08-10, 10:37 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

I sent mine off tonight man. you should be able to pick them up before sunday morning, tha's wha the guys at the depot said
Old 01-12-10, 08:19 PM
SharkGTS
Rookie

hello??? the initial molding is complex and they are all hand done, so some are turn out better than others. just in dealing with the small sampling for this project i could see it was a lost cause, however, esp sales in canada where people tend to be extraordinarliy cheap and complain like hell. as you can see here.

also..I'm pretty sure i tossed in some lenses at no or reduced charge, and here those are. our shop hourly is $75 per hour how long do you think it takes to make a custom lense?

when you properly follow the instructions and fuse lense to the frame using a heat gun the "wavy" parts will totally flatten out and you are good to go. this lense is huge - 2 feet long!! granted you have to have some talent and you must be able to read.

Now the reason why the original lenses are lined is the plastic is so cruddy and cheap they had to line 'em otherwise you see all the faults in that plastic.

the lenses we did here turned out pretty nice.
Old 01-12-10, 08:27 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

One of the main reasons why I didn't place an order with garage9(i think that was the name of the company), is because I don't see how it would be possible to create a perfect seal, let alone a perfect fuse of the 2 pieces...

With regards to sanding down the lines. It took me honestly, 3 days of non-stop sanding and cursing before getting rid of all the lines. After I was done, the plastic was still not as clear as OEM lens on other cars. I wouldn't recommend sanding down the line.

I would wait until a company produces an exact replacement of the lens without the lines.
Old 01-12-10, 08:45 PM
SharkGTS
Rookie

no problem with the sealing - both sides are level and clean, both sides get
3M adhesive and fused under heat, it ain't coming off.

again it's custom custom one off stuff. like any hot roddin'.

the cost of the our lense development project was about $5000 including my time. I learned more about working acyrlics so that is training budget. AutoCAD the shape took 2-3 days of trials, CNC Cutting of the plastic and we don't do large molding here so we had to build the molds, modify my oven and get a vacuum source connected to existing headlights. it took a lot of work to get to the point of being able to create this shape.

so it did exist, first cut at it. who else has done it?? let's see it. No one. nada. doesn't exist and never will.

if it made no financial sense to produce a full one clear lense for the GS 5 years ago, it certainly makes no sense now. point them to this thread first!
it's a shame. that GS body is sweet.
Old 01-12-10, 10:20 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SharkGTS

so it did exist, first cut at it. who else has done it?? let's see it. No one. nada. doesn't exist and never will.
interesting

Last edited by Bippu147; 01-12-10 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 10:22 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jmai22
One of the main reasons why I didn't place an order with garage9(i think that was the name of the company), is because I don't see how it would be possible to create a perfect seal, let alone a perfect fuse of the 2 pieces...

With regards to sanding down the lines. It took me honestly, 3 days of non-stop sanding and cursing before getting rid of all the lines. After I was done, the plastic was still not as clear as OEM lens on other cars. I wouldn't recommend sanding down the line.

I would wait until a company produces an exact replacement of the lens without the lines.
you need to sand it in stages, and polish it in stages properly for it to look perfectly clear.

Old 01-13-10, 09:11 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As pointed before, I don't think anyone in the world has taken to do the duty garage9 di on building the lenses; i take my hat off to them and wish they would still sell the lenses to try it myself. Sanding is a ****** process but doable. In the end, out of the 5 cars I have seen, only 1 satisfies me and the lenses where done by Prestige Japan; the guy paid about 800 to get it done... In the end, I still think the garage9 lenses with a properly sealing technique and a clear plastic lense vinyl protector would be the best for cost effectiveness for us in the states. Damn it, i wanna try installing these lenses!!!
Old 01-13-10, 09:56 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bippu147
soon

1 week and i should have the prototype done
be patient
Old 01-13-10, 10:09 AM
Scotguy
Driver School Candidate

Looks sweet. Do you have to keep the indicator section beam deflector ?
Any issues dazzling drivers or upsetting the authorities ?
Old 01-13-10, 11:28 AM
SharkGTS
Rookie

Injection molding is the ideal solution and maybe the boyz in Alberta have an inside track on that. I figure after talking with some engineers back east, if you can get injection molds done for less than $10,000 each you're doing well. it's a big mold about 23" by 7" x8" - and there is risk of quality being off etc.

So lets budget $20,000 at qty 200 = $100 cost + production costs = $300-400 retail each.

v.s. modify orginal part at $75 each + a couple of hours labour.
Old 02-17-10, 11:13 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

wonder how it would look delined and have the chrome housing painted black. Im not a big fan on the chrome look haha.

Quick Reply: Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens