GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

urgent! help! radiator empty. reserve tank full. overheat.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 08:43 PM
SGVARISTO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent! help! radiator empty. reserve tank full. overheat.

one problem. radiator tank was empty but reserve tank was full whats going on? help! and coolant leaking and sparying everywhere hoses are good when i took them out
Old 11-19-09, 09:24 PM
zero44
Driver School Candidate

Well the coolant has to be coming from somewhere. Do you know where its spraying or leaking from?
Old 11-19-09, 10:42 PM
SGVARISTO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zero44
Well the coolant has to be coming from somewhere. Do you know where its spraying or leaking from?
well theres a hose right on on the firewall and theres some vent thing not sure if its the heater hose or anything since im a honda guy and a toyota noob so im not sure
Old 11-20-09, 10:58 AM
phollero
Pole Position

if you see evidence of coolant sprayed in your engine bay look for the heaviest coolant spray areas to find the likely part. Check your heater hoses that come in and out of the firewall. You can spot them as the thinner than the main coolant hoses. Typically It can only be a few things: heater hoses, heater core, radiator hoses, radiator.

Less probable: You don't see white smoke coming out of your tailpipes do you? That would mean an engine gasket leaking coolant into the engine and steaming up exhaust.
Old 11-20-09, 11:17 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The heater control valve up by the firewall and the hoses running to and from it are often a source of leaks as well.
Old 11-20-09, 01:20 PM
Aristoman
Driver

Originally Posted by phollero
Less probable: You don't see white smoke coming out of your tailpipes do you? That would mean an engine gasket leaking coolant into the engine and steaming up exhaust.
Its really hard to to tell if its white smoke or just steam especially in the cold winter. how long should it linger for?
Old 11-20-09, 02:13 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aristoman
Its really hard to to tell if its white smoke or just steam especially in the cold winter. how long should it linger for?
If you had a blown head gasket, the exhaust should smell like coolant. Also, you would tend to see the level go down without finding leaks as the coolant gets "burned" in the combustion chamber. The oil would be milky looking if you had a BHG. Also, the coolant would tend to smell like oil.

I would think all of the evidence of leaks you're seeing would make the head gasket a very unlikely culprit.
Old 11-21-09, 11:05 AM
Stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by link13
If you had a blown head gasket, the exhaust should smell like coolant. Also, you would tend to see the level go down without finding leaks as the coolant gets "burned" in the combustion chamber. The oil would be milky looking if you had a BHG. Also, the coolant would tend to smell like oil.

I would think all of the evidence of leaks you're seeing would make the head gasket a very unlikely culprit.
Hmm I recently had a coolant issue too, not like that one though! My reserve tank was bone dry, but my radiator was full? I do have an oil leak by my distributor, and valve cover, but thats about it? No spots on the floor either. Then again our cars have covers underneath them, so? No smoke issues either?
Old 11-21-09, 11:58 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Mine is now leaking at the back of the block by the cylinder head. Bad news for me. The head gasket is shot. What is unknown now is how much corrosion is around the head and block. I guess if it's too much, it's new engine time, which sucks. GTE is not an option for me due to smog. I may look for a 1UZ-FE if I need to do a swap.

I have the same thing. Radiator full and reserve tank dry. It does drip on the ground sometimes. Sometimes, it's a drop or 2 and other times, it's a trail of coolant. Sucks.
Old 10-06-13, 01:42 AM
Monster133
Driver School Candidate

well ive found my culprit and i need help changing the hose that is connected to the heater control valve
Old 10-06-13, 02:25 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Your reserve lines probably have restriction try n see if they are clogged
Old 10-06-13, 02:31 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Originally Posted by link13

That's funny I been loosing coolant lil by lil find no leaks I think I do have a blown head gasket but my oil is never milky which leaves me dumbfounded
Lol so I'm a lil confused here cuz upon start up I get the white smoke but clears up as it warms up
I wanna say I do have BHG but the non milky oil is a mystery....
Old 10-13-13, 05:04 PM
guardrail9
Rookie

best thing is to rent/borrow/buy a pressure tester theres probably a leak somewhere thats not obvious so you need to put it under pressure.
Old 10-13-13, 05:06 PM
guardrail9
Rookie

oh and a reserve tank cant do its job if the coolant isnt sealed from loosing pressure due to a leak. that pressure built up draws coolant evaporated or lost during driving. so if its loosing that positive pressure to the air it cant pull coolant from the tank.
Old 10-14-13, 01:04 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Salcedo90
That's funny I been loosing coolant lil by lil find no leaks I think I do have a blown head gasket but my oil is never milky which leaves me dumbfounded
Lol so I'm a lil confused here cuz upon start up I get the white smoke but clears up as it warms up
I wanna say I do have BHG but the non milky oil is a mystery....
I recently had a similar problem, but I would overheat while at idle. Tore it all apart and found my head was warped.

Quick Reply: urgent! help! radiator empty. reserve tank full. overheat.