GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

urgent! help! radiator empty. reserve tank full. overheat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 03:15 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onelt1
I recently had a similar problem, but I would overheat while at idle. Tore it all apart and found my head was warped.
When my radiator blew I put a new one n the same thing was happening over heating at idle so I took my thermostat out n it did he same for a while then the problem went away I'm still running it without a thermostat it seems to run fine except the white smoke upon warm up
Old 10-15-13, 04:59 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

I would bet that your head is warped and with the thermostat out you could damage your engine bearings, pistons, and piston rings. I know it seems crazy because that has nothing to do with coolant, there is oil that cools those parts, but matter of fact the coolant cools the block which in turn cools the metal parts and if the coolant is too cold the internal engine parts wont heat up to like they should resulting in premature failure and to hot and catastrophic failure can happen. I would put that little thermostat back in and then take the head off and have it straight edged.
Old 10-15-13, 09:07 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Originally Posted by onelt1
I would bet that your head is warped and with the thermostat out you could damage your engine bearings, pistons, and piston rings. I know it seems crazy because that has nothing to do with coolant, there is oil that cools those parts, but matter of fact the coolant cools the block which in turn cools the metal parts and if the coolant is too cold the internal engine parts wont heat up to like they should resulting in premature failure and to hot and catastrophic failure can happen. I would put that little thermostat back in and then take the head off and have it straight edged.
Yea my instructor at skoo told me the same he's surprised it lasted me all summer that way I've been running without it for nearly half a year....I'm juss waiting to purchase another gs that has a bad transmission and then I will tackle the task of taking the engine apart cuz I don't wanna end up with no transportation lol