GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Flashing O/D light

Old 09-22-09, 12:59 PM
Pass V1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing O/D light

Hello Everyone, I have a 1995 GS300 with a flashing overdrive light but it doesn't happen all the time. The transmission shop said it was a bad switch (ECS but I maybe wrong) that is not communicating with the overdrive. Is this a common problem with this car? Is this something I can change on my own? They are asking around a $1000 to fix it. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-09, 04:21 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Does your tranny shift fine and all when the o/d is on? or does it feel like its missing a gear?
Old 09-22-09, 04:54 PM
Pass V1
Driver School Candidate

Shifting fine as far as I can tell. Just sometimes the O/D light starts flashing.
Old 09-22-09, 05:10 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that happened to me, after i had a used speedcut installed, and when I would leave it in D, it would go from 1 to 3 then 4 (I think that was the sequence).

one of the tranny solenoids wasn't getting any signal.. so I guess something in the speedcut was shorted, so the ECU wasn't reading anything. so right now, the speed cut is uninstalled, and the blinking OD went away and my tranny is shifting fine again. I checked the tranny solenoids and they were working perfectly fine. now I have a brand new greddy speedcut I yet to install.

but if you're tranny isn't shifting funny when it blinks, I guess you're good for now, but if I were you, I would get it checked out. I had a link to a toyota manual page for blinking O/D, I tried looking for it but can't find it. If I find the link, Ill send it to you.
Old 09-22-09, 07:33 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boosted86
that happened to me, after i had a used speedcut installed, and when I would leave it in D, it would go from 1 to 3 then 4 (I think that was the sequence).

one of the tranny solenoids wasn't getting any signal.. so I guess something in the speedcut was shorted, so the ECU wasn't reading anything. so right now, the speed cut is uninstalled, and the blinking OD went away and my tranny is shifting fine again. I checked the tranny solenoids and they were working perfectly fine. now I have a brand new greddy speedcut I yet to install.

but if you're tranny isn't shifting funny when it blinks, I guess you're good for now, but if I were you, I would get it checked out. I had a link to a toyota manual page for blinking O/D, I tried looking for it but can't find it. If I find the link, Ill send it to you.
sorry to the OP dont mean to thread jack, and this is a lil off topic. but do you know how to wire up the HKS speed limit defencer type 2 to our cars by any chance? the manual shows the 2nd gen gs and not ours, but i have heard it works on ours. Ive had this thing for almost a year and havent put it on cuz im scared ill do it wrong and mess up the ecu or something haha
Old 09-22-09, 08:48 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

^^^^^^^^^^sorry but whats the purpose of this speed cut????
Old 09-23-09, 03:12 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vtec-this
^^^^^^^^^^sorry but whats the purpose of this speed cut????
GTE motor limited to like 120mph lol. yes its lame.
Old 11-13-11, 05:07 PM
1stgenvip
Rookie

sorry to bring up such an old thread. But dose anyone have any information on this? My O/D light blinks when driving (about 1 second between blinks). B4 it started, I made a sharp U turn and then all my speakers stopped working. I got to where I was going and about 30min later I moved the car and the radio was working again. When I was leaving I then noticed the blinking light. I drove it about 17 miles home with no problems at all. (just a blinking light).