GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Questions on JDM Aristo Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 01:07 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Questions on JDM Aristo Headlights

I just got a set of JDM Aristo Headlights from a member. I thought it was plug and Play but I guess that is for the installation. My biggest concern is that I realized that the bulbs are different from the USDM Headlights. One thing that got me so frustrated is not being able to remove the low beam bulb. I twisted but seem like it is impossible without breaking it. If anyone that is using this or have knowledge how to remove it would be appreciate. Secondly, what bulbs are the high and low beam on JDM Headlights. I know that the USDM low beam is 9006 and high beam is 9005. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by suprawhite; 07-14-08 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 03:57 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st Question: Just twist and get it out. ONE THING: it is unusuall this is happening UNLESS they put in the wrong bulb in there by FORCE. See next answer to know WHY I am sayng that...

2nd Question: Since the pattern doesen't match to ANY USDM bulbs, the high and low beams are both going to be 9005. They might not fit PERFECTLY on the low beam BUT they will go in. Seems liek the problem you are experincing is because someone forced the wrong bulb in the socket... just be careful... try to unscrew the ring around the socket...
Old 07-14-08, 04:38 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

So you're saying that both low beams and high beams are 9005? If that's the case, I have to find extra plug for the 9005. Let me check it out to see if it fit. I pretty sure I tried 9005 on the low beams side but did not fit. As you mention it doesn't fit perfectly so that's might be the reason why. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-08, 04:46 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Well as you might know as well, you DO have to change the plug as well... yep, this retrofitment is not that 'easy' lol
Ur welcome man!
Old 07-14-08, 05:39 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used 9006 in my low beams, i had to cut the little ***** a bit, but they work fine, and plugged in perfectly fine as well
Old 07-14-08, 10:51 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by deknick
i used 9006 in my low beams, i had to cut the little ***** a bit, but they work fine, and plugged in perfectly fine as well
Any pictures would highly appreciate because that would be a better alternative than cutting the wires and rewire them.
Oh one more thing, the JDM have day time running lights. I'm thinking of wiring it to the parking lights so it will be on when the parking lights are on. I wonder if you guy did the same thing. Thanks.
Old 07-15-08, 12:34 AM
deknick
Lead Lap

well what are the bulbs for your GS300 ones? cause you should just be able to use those, cause the only difference in 9005 and 9006 are the mounting twist points,

and the DRL's are used as DRL's, so as soon as the ignition is on, the DRL's come on, as we need it to pass inspections, it's a law here
Old 07-15-08, 01:07 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

I guess I'll figure out where to shave the **** and go from there. That will be better since the USDM plugs are 9006 and 9005.

Base on the information that were given, I found out the bulbs that were on low beams were not the right bulbs, obviously due to the fact that it can't be remove. What I did was cutting the bulb apart then unscrew the 3 phillips to remove it. That was the only way because the more I tried to get it out, I have the gut feeling that it will break the housing.
Old 07-17-08, 03:42 PM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suprawhite
I just got a set of JDM Aristo Headlights from a member. I thought it was plug and Play but I guess that is for the installation. My biggest concern is that I realized that the bulbs are different from the USDM Headlights. One thing that got me so frustrated is not being able to remove the low beam bulb. I twisted but seem like it is impossible without breaking it. If anyone that is using this or have knowledge how to remove it would be appreciate. Secondly, what bulbs are the high and low beam on JDM Headlights. I know that the USDM low beam is 9006 and high beam is 9005. Thank you in advance.

OK

i have an aristo

i needed some euro gs lights to pass inspection

i had a usdm set and traded em with a friend for inspection use

Sooo.. the bulbs from the usdm and euro swaped easily, the headlight however didnt swap too well (had to shave the back a wee bit) and the euro cars a different bracket to house the headlight adjusting motors (what usdm didnt have -all plugs worked except the usa turnsignal, so use the turnsignal harness in your car and your good to go)

^^thats not important^^

now heres the hard part.

the jdm has a special looking 9005 on high beams and a hb3(which is technically 9005) on low..

So,i bought 4 hb3 bulbs and it fit the jdm housing.. i then tried the 9005 and 9005 hb3 on the us one..no worky.. i found that different bulb manufacturers have slight differences in the bulb tabs(things on the base)

Philips bulbs have thick tabs ..no worky on the aristo lights without trimming the tabs , slyvania bulbs fitted with very very very minor trimming of the tabs(used a nail file)
Edit(not important) the jdm turnsignal hosing is different from the usa and thats different from the edm one.. so always make sure you get plugs and a bit of harness with your used lights.

but making them work is easy.. make the bulbs fit before you install the headlights!no glueing or hacking is necessary,just minor teaks on the bulb bases, OR you can always swap the rings on the back of the headlights (use a philips screwdriver the get em off..use the right size and dont strip them..the screws threwad lock on em)

Just look at everything and take your time.
Old 07-17-08, 04:07 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Exactly what I did:

you can always swap the rings on the back of the headlights (use a philips screwdriver the get em off..use the right size and dont strip them..the screws threwad lock on em)
Old 07-17-08, 07:13 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

I'm planning to put the JDM Headlights on tomorrow. I trimmed the 9005 to fit the 9006 plug already. I even test it out on my GS to see if it fit and it work (Thanks vipguy with the link). This is better since I don't have to cut the wires, all I need is to modify the bulb. Eventhough 9005 fit on the JDM low beams, I hope it doesn't fall off due to road bump. As for the turn signal, I didn't know that the plug are different. It's true about making sure you have some extra harness because mine seem to be a little short if I want to tap the daytime running from the JDM Headlights to the parking lights. Now that I think about it, the JDM have daytime running and the USDM doesn't, that's why the plug for the turn signal is different because the USDM is both turn lights and parking lights versus the JDM only being as turn lights only since the daytime running lights is replacing the USDM parking lights. Anyhow, I'm going to do this mod tomorrow. Hope everything go smoothly, but I still have no clue how to remove the Headlights . I guess I'll figure it out as I go along since the DIY section only have description but no pictures.
Old 07-17-08, 07:23 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suprawhite
I'm planning to put the JDM Headlights on tomorrow. I trimmed the 9005 to fit the 9006 plug already. I even test it out on my GS to see if it fit and it work (Thanks vipguy with the link). This is better since I don't have to cut the wires, all I need is to modify the bulb. Eventhough 9005 fit on the JDM low beams, I hope it doesn't fall off due to road bump. As for the turn signal, I didn't know that the plug are different. It's true about making sure you have some extra harness because mine seem to be a little short if I want to tap the daytime running from the JDM Headlights to the parking lights. Now that I think about it, the JDM have daytime running and the USDM doesn't, that's why the plug for the turn signal is different because the USDM is both turn lights and parking lights versus the JDM only being as turn lights only since the daytime running lights is replacing the USDM parking lights. Anyhow, I'm going to do this mod tomorrow. Hope everything go smoothly, but I still have no clue how to remove the Headlights . I guess I'll figure it out as I go along since the DIY section only have description but no pictures.
To remove the lights two 10mm nuts in fenderwell close to where the amber section of the light and the the other three (i think) when you open the bonnet one kinda bolts under the bumper cover and the other 2 on top of the light gently pull on the light and you kinda have to manuver it to get the tab under the bumper cover out be careful thee do break easily. i think lexus ment for the whole bumper cover to come off but it is not neccesary good luck