Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Step by Step - Replacing Window Regulator GS 1st Gen.

Old 10-09-08, 03:27 PM   #16
sebastian0
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

The car is an old commuter car. I really don't care if that window works. Is there an easy, reliable way to just keep the window closed, albeit inoperable?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
sebastian0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 12:46 PM   #17
jpw
Driver

Look at my first pic - I had some of the grey small PVC pipe... I just jammed it in there until I could fix it and it held nicely .... It's small yet strong..
jpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 03:10 PM   #18
afracer
Driver

I just bought a new regulator as I thought mine was toast. The window would not go up or down but you could hear the motor turning. I'm not sure what went first, the motor or the regulator...anyways, I took it apart today and there was a piece of metal shoved up against the bottom of the window (GHETTO) tied to the regulator with rubber hoses. Now, the idiot jerk *** piece of crap scamming used car dealer I bought it from (Ebay, I thought it was a private party) when I picked the car up said that the window was just working last time he drove it earlier that day! (LIAR!!!) Anyways, the regulator wasn't broken, the cables were out of their respective pulleys and holders, but there was nothing wrong with it. My guess is someone tried to fix it but didn't have an IQ above 10 or something... anyways, installed the new regulator in about 5 minutes, threw it all back in another 5. Went to test it out and it still did the same thing...

So, obviously the motor is shot right? No, I took the cover off the motor and found that Lexus used a rubber insulator, kinda like a motor mount, between the gear of the motor and the drive spindle for the window regulator. Kind of a destined to fail design I think...so rather than spend $300 and wait a week on a new motor (no Lexus dealer in town or junkyards w/GS300's), I decided to fix it myself. There could be many options to how you do it, my rubber insulator was only half there...if there was more rubber left I would've bought some Polyurethane multi purpose adhesive caulk and glued it back together. Instead I grinded away all the old rubber and bought a large nut (5/8") and ground it down to about 3/8" thick. I then JB Welded the gear piece and nut together...it's drying now.

I'll let everyone know how it works. I don't see why you'd need to have rubber in there in the first place, but oh well. Even if it gets tore up more I'll just have to buy a new or used motor to replace it.

On a side note, does anyone know if other models have the same power window motors? LS, SC, ES??? I know theres one or two of those at the junkyard.
afracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 08:33 AM   #19
afracer
Driver

Well, lasted a good 2 days before the JB Weld failed. There could be lots of other ways to mess with this thing but I'm just going to get a new motor
afracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 08:39 PM   #20
dale386
Driver School Candidate

My rear window motors are shot -- I want to replace them. AllData says the if a motor is replaced, the regulator needs to be replaced with it. Can I replace just the motors anyway, or is replacing the regulator really a requirement?
dale386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 09:02 PM   #21
TheMole
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (13)

Send a message via AIM to TheMole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale386 View Post
My rear window motors are shot -- I want to replace them. AllData says the if a motor is replaced, the regulator needs to be replaced with it. Can I replace just the motors anyway, or is replacing the regulator really a requirement?
You can just replace the motors, but not sure if the motors are specific to each window.
93 Black Onyx JZS147 - Sold on 9/12/2012
93 Diamond White Pearl JZZ31 - RIP on 09/02/2009
TheMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 10:22 PM   #22
jasonhowy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the writeup. I am just about to replace the rear right window regulator and will certainly use this tutorial.
jasonhowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 11:01 AM   #23
JoeSF
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had success with the used regulators they sell online? They seem to come with the motor as well, although I just need a regulator I have a good motor. I have to replace a rear regulator.
JoeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 09:10 AM   #24
jpw
Driver

Joe,
I wouldn't buy a used regulator for 2 reasons:

1. You're not saving a ton of $$$
2. This is a fairly tedious job - how often do you want to have to do it ?

If this was something you could just unbolt/bolt on in 3 minutes, sure, I'd get a used one in a minute. But since it's such a hassle to do, I recommend spending the few extra bucks to get a brand new one rather than worry about when the used one is going to break.
jpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 09:10 AM

Tags
1993, 2004, 93, 95, es330, gs300, install, left, lexus, rear, regulator, repair, replace, replacing, sc400, window