GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

trouble installing window reg

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 04:29 PM
faceoff101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble installing window reg

Well my right back seat window reg went bad i purchased another one, i got it yesterday , today i went to install the reg i think i ******ed up, lol the little round piece that belongs to the reg that goes in the motor holds 2 wires one for going up and the other for going down, well that little round piece got losse now i don't know what way the wires are suppose to go in. please anyone with info help me out, Im such a newbie
Old 03-23-08, 08:42 AM
faceoff101
Driver

21 views good looks with the advice " friends"
Old 06-03-08, 04:15 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I guess nobody's done that recently... look at this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=window

someone may be able to help you there.. My LR window "fell" down about 3 inches and won't get up - I'm going to go in there and check mine out.

There's also thread 341373 but that's for an SC - may help you..

so where did you get your regulator ? how much did you pay ? I may be able to help you after I tear mine off this weekend ...

also, u could post a pic, too...
Old 06-04-08, 10:40 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by faceoff101
Well my right back seat window reg went bad i purchased another one, i got it yesterday , today i went to install the reg i think i ******ed up, lol the little round piece that belongs to the reg that goes in the motor holds 2 wires one for going up and the other for going down, well that little round piece got losse now i don't know what way the wires are suppose to go in. please anyone with info help me out, Im such a newbie

take off the door cover on the left side and look how its put together...
Old 06-04-08, 10:42 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raph TT
take off the door cover on the left side and look how its put together...
Its not that easy. Trust me....
Old 06-04-08, 11:31 AM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jmai or any of you...can you post some pictures of this? My rear windows dont work, I hold them up by inserting a bolt between the door frame and window. However I dont think my reg's are broken, Cuase Whenever I push the button i still hear a noise, so does that mean I problem just have the same problem as Jmai?
Old 06-04-08, 12:01 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vindedreal
Jmai or any of you...can you post some pictures of this? My rear windows dont work, I hold them up by inserting a bolt between the door frame and window. However I dont think my reg's are broken, Cuase Whenever I push the button i still hear a noise, so does that mean I problem just have the same problem as Jmai?
There is 2 part to the window assembly. The Motor and the Regulator. The motor rarely goes out so i'm sure that is not your problem especially since you still hear sound when you push the button.

The problem you have is your regulator, the regulator is the tracks the window slide up and down on. What happens over time is the plastic on the end of the track tends to break off or wear off causing the cable to have slack in it which causes the cables to get tangled up in turn causing your windows to be nonoperatable. Buy a new regulator off ebay for like 120 bucks or so.

It takes 4 screws to remove the track from the door and 2 screws to remove the window from the track. Its pretty straight forward and I had mine switched out in 15 minutes!!! Just be careful to not let the new regulator get "unwind".
Old 06-05-08, 08:51 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

thanks Jmai,
Regarding the cable, where does it go ? is it just between the motor and the plastic thing on the regulator ? I think mine did exactly what you said - I have all kinds of slack in my cable. I now have the door cover off but I'm waiting until I get my regulator in before I remove the old one..

Once you remove the regulator, is it just a matter of swapping the motor between the old and the new ?

I figure I'd be less likely to forget how to put the thing together if I remove/replace in one step as opposed to removing, wait a week, then put it back together...

thanks

BTW, I got my regulator from toyota world for 150 including shipping.. saw the one on ebay but they wanted $22 to ship the thing...
Old 06-05-08, 09:25 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpw
thanks Jmai,
Regarding the cable, where does it go ? is it just between the motor and the plastic thing on the regulator ? I think mine did exactly what you said - I have all kinds of slack in my cable. I now have the door cover off but I'm waiting until I get my regulator in before I remove the old one..

Once you remove the regulator, is it just a matter of swapping the motor between the old and the new ?

I figure I'd be less likely to forget how to put the thing together if I remove/replace in one step as opposed to removing, wait a week, then put it back together...

thanks

BTW, I got my regulator from toyota world for 150 including shipping.. saw the one on ebay but they wanted $22 to ship the thing...
Hey JPW,

When you get your new regulator in, the cables will be all set for you. MAKE SURE NOT TO LET IT GET UNWIND. There is a round pulley like mechanism near the center of the regulator, make sure this pulley does NOT move from the position it is in. If it moves your regulator will get unwind. You will spend hours trying to re-wrap it and in most cases will not be able to do it. Also you might get so frustrated you might just throw it away and re-buy a new one...

Ok, so to install the new regulator.

1. Roll the back window about 1/2 way down. Then use tape to tape it in this position.

2. Remove the 2 10mm bolt that holds the window to the regulator.

3. Remove the 4 10mm bolt that holds the regulator to the door

4. Push the entire regulator forward(towards the outside of the door) this should make the 4 bolts you remove come out of its socket.

5. reach in and push the pulley(we talked about up top) forward(towards the outside of the door as well) as well. This will push the pulley off of the motor.

6. now just pull the old regulator out and slide the new one in.

7. Do the exact same steps above backwards.

8. When you get to step number 4 above, you will have to reach in and feel how this pulley fits onto the motor. It is a square shape. The trick to this is put the key in the ignition and slowly tap on up or down on the window switch at the SAME time as trying to push the pulley onto the motor. The pulley is a female square shape while the motor has a male square shape.

9. After you have the pulley onto the motor DON"T start rolling the window up and down yet. Look for a round cover that probably fell down at the bottom of your door. When this round cover is found snap it onto the outside of the pulley/cover. For preventive measures I also put a zip tie around this cover and the motor so the pulley doesn't pop off.

Good luck. Its very easy.

-John
Old 06-05-08, 09:58 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

thanks so much !!! I'll tell you how it goes when I get it in next week .. I really appreciate your post...

john
Old 07-03-08, 04:50 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

OK, I did this - thanks a TON for your advice John !!

I did, however, remove that bar that held on the motor, then I removed the motor from the bar and took the regulator out w/the motor attached and put the thing on my workbench.

Then I removed the plastic round piece (aka the pulley) from the motor assy and removed the plastic cover from my new piece.

There's no way I could've removed the old pulley from the motor assy in place while in the door since it was held in via a metal cap. The only way to remove that cap was to pry one of the edges away from the housing. I did that while on my bench.

When positioning the new pully to fit in, I just moved the piece of the new regulator that attaches to the window up and down a put until the female part of the new pully lined up with the male end of the motor assy.

I see where you DON't want the pully to separate from the cables. thanks again for that advice.

After pushing the new pulley into the motor assy, I then re-attached the metal cap by lightly pounding the notch on the side that I previously pried away back in.

After that it was really easy to put the whole thing back into the car.

I took pictures but I'll post them and a procedure later.. It'd be nice to have a separate maintenance/procedures section here -

thanks again John for the help...