GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Is anyone on this site>>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 04:31 AM
Frek08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone on this site>>>>>>>

Does anyone on this site ride there Lex GS first gen on 22's daily?

If you do how did you lift the car and is the weight of the rims to much for the GS ie ( is your car always in the shop getting brakes and a new trans?)

Or does the GS ahndle the rims just fine with no problems?

Please post a reply I know most of you guys don't even think twice about ridin that big but the GS looks so sexy with the big boyz underneith her, and I think thats the route I want to go (22's that is)

Is there any way to drop the gear ratio to maybe .319 or 320 or a way to boost torque without putting turbo's everywhere, This car is my daily driver for at least this year and I want to cover all bases in pre-maintenance or pre-modz to prepare the car for this major modification, If I'm taking this mod to seriously just tell me to chill
Old 01-26-08, 07:31 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

IMO 22's look ridiculous. 20's are the biggest that look good. Either way, the bigger you go, the less rubber there is, the harsher the ride.

To speed up the rev's you want a shorter final drive like a 4.27, not a taller like a 3.23. You already have a 4.08 so switching it out wouldn't yield too much more power and would throw off the speedo unless you could find the corresponding gear for the trans case.
Old 01-26-08, 12:55 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

i currently got 20s on mine that im taking off and selling because the ride is so bad, and the small amount of rubber makes me nervous when im hittin all these potholes. i mean it looks nice, but for a daily driver its just uncomfortable. and to heavy. oh and im not sure if this is true, but when my uncle bought some 20'' dub tis, for his ls. they guy told him not to drive really fast, because they arent as strong and could bend. so idk, is that with all 20 and up sizes, or depends on brand?
Old 01-26-08, 03:16 PM
joelgs3
Pole Position

dude wut kind of 20's u running?..jajaja..i got 20's and its ride fine,theres a gs on this forums that boosted and on 20's also i dont think those gs300' look bad ^^^^^ i was gonna do the same thing
Old 01-26-08, 03:29 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

haha lex bubbles...nice. a boosted gs on 20s!? damn.
Old 01-27-08, 11:47 PM
Frek08
Driver School Candidate

I mean aside from maybe ride comfort, potholes, and bent rims is this conversion harmful on the car in general, I know most of you guys don't think the car looks good on those rims, I was just wondering if anyone has 22" rims on there GS and has been running those rims and if there maintenance routine changed drasticly or not becuz of the rims, ( I was wondering about the final gear becuz on american cars with big boy rims they are know for dropping the final gear to about 3:10 the accomodate for weight a higher final gear will burn american trannies out to fast.) Does anyone know the towing weight specs for a 93 GS 300 that information would also be very helpful Thanx
Old 01-28-08, 06:23 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

You know your trans was made in Japan right? It can handle 300+ hp. If I get some time I'll do a search on this taller gear for bigger wheels theory. I can't wrap my mind around how a taller gear will save the trans. The trans should still turn at the same speed regardless of the final drive, the wheels just turn faster with a shorter gear. Admittedly I don't know anything about riding on 22's so maybe there is logic behind it.
Old 01-29-08, 01:28 AM
Frek08
Driver School Candidate

well to help you out a bit, in the Donk world (hi risers) the huge rims these cars are pulling weigh a ton and I mean a ton so to help move so much weight you heighten the gears so you can actually drive the car ( get the car rolling ) without burning out the trans/ If I let the final gear remain the same I'd be driving the street in overdrive the car screaming and I'm going nowhere becuz the wheels weigh so much and the gearing ran out on me. I'd be going slow but my trans would be saved. Now on a smaller note the 22's on a GS thats a very big rim and the weight of those rims have to do some sort of damage over a period of time to the transmission, or brakes or both. I've had 22's on Chevy avalanche (a truck I will never buy again) and it was in the shop more than I drove it to get new brakes, or I had to get a new trac controll put in due to the rims, I still do want 22's on my Lex but if I can't get in contact with someone who has them on their car now and could let me know how the car acts with the added weight and such (maintenance and all) then I'd have to settle for 20's and a 1.2"inch drop with those TEIN springs.
Old 01-29-08, 03:25 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Frek08
well to help you out a bit, in the Donk world (hi risers) the huge rims these cars are pulling weigh a ton and I mean a ton so to help move so much weight you heighten the gears so you can actually drive the car ( get the car rolling ) without burning out the trans/ If I let the final gear remain the same I'd be driving the street in overdrive the car screaming and I'm going nowhere becuz the wheels weigh so much and the gearing ran out on me. I'd be going slow but my trans would be saved. Now on a smaller note the 22's on a GS thats a very big rim and the weight of those rims have to do some sort of damage over a period of time to the transmission, or brakes or both. I've had 22's on Chevy avalanche (a truck I will never buy again) and it was in the shop more than I drove it to get new brakes, or I had to get a new trac controll put in due to the rims, I still do want 22's on my Lex but if I can't get in contact with someone who has them on their car now and could let me know how the car acts with the added weight and such (maintenance and all) then I'd have to settle for 20's and a 1.2"inch drop with those TEIN springs.
If you had problems with a big truck like an Avalanche w/22's, why would you want to go through the same problem with a Lexus which my cost more to replace worn items?
Old 01-29-08, 03:37 PM
Frek08
Driver School Candidate

The truck wuz the only vehicle I've ever had that had problems after putting rims on I mean to me 22's on a truck is nothing cars in my area are riding on 22's. I had a 93 LS400 like 3 years ago with 22's on it but I bought with them on the car already it drove like crap becuz they we're just forced on but I didn't have problems mechanically, but thats a V8, I've never ran 22's on a 6 before just tryin to be cautious thats all, Plus in my opinion import cars are engineered a little more reliable than some american cars still, Lexus has been known for building exceptional vehicles especially in the years we all own. So that's some reasoning, plus the car looks good to me clean with big feet lol.
Old 01-29-08, 06:00 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I don't think too many second gen guys have 22 either on their rides?
Old 01-29-08, 06:30 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=first+gen
Old 01-30-08, 03:12 AM
Frek08
Driver School Candidate

SEIZE you're a beast man! I be on some big chrome ballin type #$%^ but you gonna get me on some VIPish type ballin %^&* lololol word up good look for the archive how come I couldn't find that I feel extra remedial right now.