GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1st Gen GS300 Power Folding Mirrors Install Help . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 02:34 AM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen GS300 Power Folding Mirrors Install Help . .

purchased power folding mirrors for my jzs147 gs300. anyone familiar with doing this install . . any tips or write ups to walk someone along the instalation . .

now theres 2 relays. one for the power folding mirrors and one that says Vibration Control. from what i understand the japanese aristo mirrors not only have a power folding capability but they can also vibrate to shake off water fall at the press of a button. am i understanding correctly . .

another question i have is that ofcoarse my setup came with the switches which is at the lower left of the dash by the steering wheel. OK, the USDM switches have the power mirrors switch, the remote on/off switch and the parking brake release lever. NOW, on the japanese switches there is the power mirrors switch (normal), power folding switch (ofcoarse) BUT there is a damn coin pocket where the parking brake release is supposed to be. anyone delt with this before and what did you do . . im pretty sure the coin pocket just comes off so i can retain my brake release but i guess im trying to get at is that what did you guys do . . or did any of you guys even know this . . and also where the hell does the japanese aristo jzs147 have theyre brake release. i know they dont have the handle in the middle like most cars . . any help will be appreciated . . i did search this stuff ehre on CL and i got no luck, so if it has been covered, shame on me please kindly refer me to the link so i can do some studying . . thanx for all your help . .
Old 10-11-07, 11:17 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I know people have talked about it, but I haven't ever seen a diy or a write up. I'm guess you just wire up the positive and negative to the relays and see what happens. The stock wires should work for the power window part, i don't know if you will have to run a seperate wire for the vibrate feature. you should try to see if the plugs are different where they connect between the door and the window, maybe if your lucky it will be a semi easy job.
Old 10-11-07, 07:57 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

there are soooo many wires .. .. a few colors match up but alot of them dont . . i havnt even looked into the install yet . . i attempted to take off the door panel when i realized that its not as easy as taking off a civic door panel. so i stoped to leave it for a whole day job.
Old 10-11-07, 07:58 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

i am right to take off the door panel right . . cause the mirror doesnt come off unless the door panel does . . thats what it looked like . .
Old 10-11-07, 09:39 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WuTangUsa
i am right to take off the door panel right . . cause the mirror doesnt come off unless the door panel does . . thats what it looked like . .
i forgot if you have to take the door panel off or not, try pulling off the tweeter cover first, and then unscrewing the one screw holding on the tweeter, i'm not sure if that will be enough to get access to the mirror bolts. There are alot of wiring on the stock mirror also. With the jdm mirror there are only two more features so i can't see them having more than 4 or 5 more wires.
Old 10-11-07, 10:16 PM
Lexus Boy
Lead Lap

id just take it to a pro an ask them to how they did it
Old 10-11-07, 10:54 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

oh i forgot to say . . the 1st thing i did wat remove the tweeter cover and tweeter. i can see the bolts but only one. im sure theres probably 3 so i believe i need to remover the door panel . . i am thinking about taking it somewhere to have it done, but wheres the fun in that . . i'd rather have all of us help eachother out and get it done, so in the end i can do a complete write up and help other jzs147 owners . .

but i really havnt given it any effort yet. i was just checking to see if you guys had any tips or experience with this . . im sure if i sit down and look at the wiring carefully i can figure it out somehow and have it done legit. ive also got a jdm bumper pole that i need to wire but that shouldnt be hard at all . .
Old 10-12-07, 06:40 AM
blklegend
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

To remove the mirror, you will need to remove the door panel.
Old 10-12-07, 09:07 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Someone on the second gen board had recently done the swap.
Old 10-12-07, 02:04 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

i cant believe no one on here has thought about doing this conversion. the mirrors are on ebay all day long for pretty cheap . . like $100 and you can even find your own color so you dont have to paint them . .
Old 10-12-07, 05:42 PM
blklegend
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah well this mod isn't that wasy of a mod, how about you do it and then provide a write up for us, so we can then all do it.
Old 10-12-07, 06:52 PM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

ive done it and it all works. the switches can be put into the us panel. yes it vibrates. i will try to remember and post info
Old 10-12-07, 10:26 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

awesome .. .. i think on sunday i will atempt to install the power folding mirrors done, and put the parking pole on and try 2 do a write up. but any tips will be helpful . . i thing what WICKED 1 said is write . i think im just gonna put the japanese switches on the usdm panel if possible . .

also theres another thing which is wierd . . you know how our 1st gen GS'es have the directional switch on the side of the steering column to make the steering wheel go up, down, in and out . . well the sc300's have the same thing BUT they have a button that says AUTO. well, so does the japanese 1st gen aristos . i also have that switch with all wiring . but i dont think i could even attempt to install that .
Old 10-13-07, 03:46 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WuTangUsa
awesome .. .. i think on sunday i will atempt to install the power folding mirrors done, and put the parking pole on and try 2 do a write up. but any tips will be helpful . . i thing what WICKED 1 said is write . i think im just gonna put the japanese switches on the usdm panel if possible . .

also theres another thing which is wierd . . you know how our 1st gen GS'es have the directional switch on the side of the steering column to make the steering wheel go up, down, in and out . . well the sc300's have the same thing BUT they have a button that says AUTO. well, so does the japanese 1st gen aristos . i also have that switch with all wiring . but i dont think i could even attempt to install that .
WuTangUsa, the AUTO switch you're talking about are only offered in 93 and 94. In 95, Lexus decided to take that switch out. I guess Lexus felt that the power telescoptic steering wheel was made for a reason. By not allowing to turn it off, this will make sure that Lexus consumer will enjoy it for what it was intended for. Since Lexus is a luxury vehicle, by having an off function defeat the purpose of having it in the first place. I used to own a 93 GS300, which have that AUTO switch. I remembered turning it off on my 93, but with my current 95 GS300, I have no choice but to enjoy it. Hope I'm not boring you with my theory.

Last edited by suprawhite; 10-13-07 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-13-07, 03:54 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

ahhhh that makes sence . . lol my causin has a 93 sc300 and he was making fun of me cause i didnt have it . lol he was like haha my car is more luxurious then yours . . looks like i'll have the last laugh this time . . oh, but one thing the SC has over us is the head rests go up and down with a switch . . unless newer 1st get gs'es have that feature . .

Quick Reply: 1st Gen GS300 Power Folding Mirrors Install Help . .