GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Stereo problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 10:27 PM
qpdo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo problems...

I posted this in the "Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics" forum however there doesn't seem to be much action there. Maybe those that read these threads can be of some help...

I’ll try to be as brief as I can so here we go…

I bought my car with a 10” bandpass subwoofer installed as well as the factory get up still intact. Not only does the bandpass not work, neither does the two rear 4” speakers. The amp for the sub powers up but produces no sound, so if anyone can give me any pointers there it would be greatly appreciated. Now for my main problem, the 4” rear speakers.

From the get go I assumed it to be a grounding problem, and sure enough the ground from the aftermarket headunit was not installed properly so I fixed that… Still doesn’t work. Then I removed my speakers and speaker boxes from the doors only to find that they were blown (tested it by plugging it into another one of my cars). So I bought new speakers… still doesn’t work. Then I removed my entire console again to get to the back of my headunit. I removed all speaker leads and plugged in my rear speaker wires from my headunit into my outgoing front speaker leads to check if the power source from my headunit to my speakers was screwed… they worked fine. SO the headunit power to my rear speakers are fine, my NEW speakers are great… but STILL no tunes . So I used a multimeter to check the continuity between my wiring going out of the headunit to the speaker itself, there was no continuity. SO I have concluded that there is either a blown fuse somewhere or a broken connection in the line.

If anyone can give me some tips as to where to check next or if there is a particular fuse for the rear speakers or any fuse that could be the culprit I would be extremely happy .

Thanks in advance…

qpdo
Old 10-11-07, 11:15 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

There aren't any fuses on the speaker wires so its just a break in the wire somewhere. I'm 75% sure that your best bet would be to take a look at the speaker wires at the rubber connection that goes from the car to the rear door. Its really tight in there so your probably going to have to take the door off. My power windows, door lock, and speaker didn't work and I found out that was the problem. Good luck
Old 10-11-07, 05:08 PM
mdmuir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a speakeer problem. I have no sound at all, and my rear windows and locks dont work. I checked the factory stereo and it produces sound at a very low volume, I assume that the power amp is bad. If so can someone tell me where the amp is located in a 1994 gs300, and what do you think the likleyhood is that the window and lock problem has any relation.
thanks for any help, Matt
Old 10-11-07, 06:16 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mdmuir
I also have a speakeer problem. I have no sound at all, and my rear windows and locks dont work. I checked the factory stereo and it produces sound at a very low volume, I assume that the power amp is bad. If so can someone tell me where the amp is located in a 1994 gs300, and what do you think the likleyhood is that the window and lock problem has any relation.
thanks for any help, Matt
The amp is in the trunk on the passenger side, under the cardboard cover.