GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Rubbing sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 06:39 AM
Verge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing sound when turning

I have a low pitched, rubbing/moaning noise when i am turning now. This seems to happen 100x more when making right turns as opposed to left turns. I have had the PS pump replaced, as well as the rack and pinion, and i still have this problem. I am going to try to flush the ps fluids and bleed them next time it is warm outside, but this is a desperation fix. Anybody had similar problems, could this be a shock or something going out, i started with power steering stuff because you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel but after lots of money, it doesn't seem to have fixed my original problem. If anybody has any idea's, post em up, i'll try anything. I'm getting very close to just buying a clip and yanking everything out.
Old 01-21-08, 09:21 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

oo i have the exact same thing, it doesnt happen all the time for me. it comes and goes. but i have that same low moaning sound when i turn. i always wondered what it was, hopefully someone knows.
Old 01-21-08, 09:28 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

i have a feeling your tie rod ios rubbing against your rim...
you have to look while someone turns teh wheel completely and drives inch by inch...
Old 01-21-08, 09:36 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or lift ur front end up, and turn the steering wheel and front wheels
Old 01-21-08, 09:38 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
or lift ur front end up, and turn the steering wheel and front wheels
but it might not necessarily rub right then..

lik it might rub on certain areas...

so you may want to rotate your tire while having the wheel completely turned
Old 01-21-08, 09:55 AM
Verge
Rookie

Originally Posted by yusef
oo i have the exact same thing, it doesnt happen all the time for me. it comes and goes. but i have that same low moaning sound when i turn. i always wondered what it was, hopefully someone knows.

weee, join the club

Thanks for the replies guys, i will try to check that stuff, i know i have alot of popping coming from front left side of the vehicle if i am braking and making a turn(like in a parking lot) had somebody check out the ball joints up there and everything was fine... maybe these are related
Old 01-21-08, 10:25 AM
novak82
Rookie

same problem here ....i think i need a new tie rod end tho
Old 01-21-08, 10:28 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by novak82
same problem here ....i think i need a new tie rod end tho
inner tie rod end might have bent..
or if you got into an accident..you might have a bent frame...

For this problem, I'd suggest a body shop that deals with frames/chassis more so a mechanic..

As if the rod is not bent...it may mean that the whole frame is...
Old 01-21-08, 10:40 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

for my problem i dont think its the rims, cuz even when i had stock rims it would make same sound. i guess ill check out that tie rod
Old 01-21-08, 10:56 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

for my problem i dont think its the rims, cuz even when i had stock rims it would make same sound. i guess ill check out that tie rod
when you hear the rubbng//moaning is it happening/coming from a specific side of the car?

if it happens more when you turn your car right...i think the noise shud be coming from teh right wheel as well
Old 01-21-08, 11:32 AM
Verge
Rookie

Originally Posted by DJ TANTRA
when you hear the rubbng//moaning is it happening/coming from a specific side of the car?

if it happens more when you turn your car right...i think the noise shud be coming from teh right wheel as well

mine definitely sounds like it's coming from the let hand side of the car... although a bit harder to hear right now since it's so cold and my windows are always up... but i can feel it in steering wheel. After work today i'm gonna try turning the wheel freely while in park to see if it only happens when moving. I can definitely say it's much louder making left turns, and the loudest when making a left turn into a raised/lowered street or parking lot, soon as you hit the bump you get a nice little wwwuuuuuuuuuaaammmp.
Old 01-21-08, 12:33 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DJ TANTRA

for me no it comes from all sides it seems. but i dont think its as bad as verge. because mine comes and goes maybe like once a month. im thinkin it has something to do with the steering...but im not sure. but like i said its not to serious, i just wanted to know what it was though.
Old 01-21-08, 01:13 PM
Verge
Rookie

for me no it comes from all sides it seems. but i dont think its as bad as verge. because mine comes and goes maybe like once a month. im thinkin it has something to do with the steering...but im not sure. but like i said its not to serious, i just wanted to know what it was though.
Mine started off being very intermittent... started probably a year ago or so... now it's much more frequent, but still not even every single turn.
Old 01-21-08, 01:44 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Verge
Mine started off being very intermittent... started probably a year ago or so... now it's much more frequent, but still not even every single turn.
oh...well now i gotta get that checked before it gets worse
Old 04-14-08, 06:04 PM
Dslexic
Driver

Check your wheel bearings. With the wheels off, spin the wheel hub by hand. It should need some force to turn, if they turn very freely without any drag, you need new wheel bearings. I know theres a spring loaded tool you attach to one of your wheel studs and pull, it then shows you how much lbs. of force you exerted to move/spin your wheel hub and wheel bearing assembly, it should fall within a certian spec.