GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Infamous 1st Gen TRAC problem (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 06:42 PM
bguild
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya Kaiser.
Old 07-24-07, 05:07 PM
savanna13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bguild
You are seriously asking that question? You own two 1 Gen GS's.. you do not work on your cars? Personally, I can't stand anything being wrong with my car, and I find it fun to fix problems on it. Maybe I am in the minority here, it's been pretty difficult finding technical knowledge on this forum. This forum is mostly about lowering springs and new wheels. Which is sad.
I am seriously asking that question.

To me, all that time and money could have been spent on something that wasn't gay. I have working TC in both of my GTE cars, and I would trade the afformentioned TC in both for a nice sub, 21 dollars, and some pocket lint.

<<< hates the traction control. I have a foot to make sure my tires don't spin.

PS: You mentioned new wheels? Where???
Old 09-01-07, 02:20 PM
margarita
Rookie

Cool Trac Light Stays On

Originally Posted by bguild
Guys, I'm coming closer on fixing this. I am fairly certain it's the pump. BTW, the cost of a new pump from Lexus is $2500. I happen to have found a used one for 1/10th of that cost.

Brian
Hi -- I was told recently that the ABS system controller is 'acting up' and that it should be replaced. Is this the 2500 part you refer to? Is the pump a different part? I hear a waa, a kind of groaning sound on start up. I hear it under the hood, not through the steering wheel though. It's not a groan coming from a power steering pump, it's from somewhere else. When I asked about that, I was told that it was probably the ABS controller. Does this makes sense? I was quoted 1900 for the part and 400+ for labor. I will probably try to find someone who knows how to turn the ABS off rather than spend that kind of $ on a car this old (1994 LS400. Advice? P.S. I found the part at www.factorylexusparts for $950 which is still a lot. I believe it is the same part, the ABS system controller, although they call it the ABS computer. Thanks...
Old 09-02-07, 04:43 AM
George.S.
Rookie

im startin to have the same problem. but the engine check light comes on the same time as the trac off light. they both turn on and off the same time. when they do come on, its only on for an hour or so. i've only seen it come on 2 times... im not really sure what that means....

i've had the trac off light and the brake light came on before, i jus added brake fluied and it went away.
Old 09-04-07, 04:41 AM
SC3001
Driver

Originally Posted by George.S.
im startin to have the same problem. but the engine check light comes on the same time as the trac off light. they both turn on and off the same time. when they do come on, its only on for an hour or so. i've only seen it come on 2 times... im not really sure what that means....

i've had the trac off light and the brake light came on before, i jus added brake fluied and it went away.
I'm having the exact same prob. right now.
Old 09-07-07, 06:00 AM
George.S.
Rookie

so does anybody know what the problem is?
Old 09-08-07, 01:47 PM
jdmtruong
Lead Lap

I own a 92 SC400. When I turn my car on I hear TICK TICK TICK and the TRAC on my cluster between the RPM gauge turns out.

How do I bleed the air out of the system? Help please. I ****ing' hate that sound.
Old 04-02-08, 09:25 AM
bguild
Pole Position

Here is the air bleed article written by Steelwheel which is very helpful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=code%2043

But, I am experiencing a similar problem to yours. I tried the bleed and it didn't help. I'm still working on my issue with TRAC, and haven't found the culprit.
Old 04-02-08, 09:33 AM
bguild
Pole Position

Here are some related service manual scans from LexusOwnersClub.com (registration required) from the owners manual on troubleshooting DTC 54 as well as component locations. I havent yet tested the voltage between PR and E2 on the ABS and TRAC ECU on my car.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=3897 ABS Component Locations

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=3886 Troubleshooting DTC 54

-Brian
Old 04-02-08, 10:28 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't get too frustrated with the lack of response. A lot of us don't have traction control. Mine is almost as bare bones as it gets. no trac, no heated seats, no sunroof. It does have leather, though.

We are a dying breed still rolling the 1GS and with few on the road and fewer with traction control, it's gonna be tough to get answers on some issues.
Old 04-02-08, 06:31 PM
bguild
Pole Position

link13, thanks for the post. I'm not frusterated, I am just committed to trying to solve this problem, because it annoys the hell out of me ;-)

Hopefully in doing so, I can help a few other folks out.

-Brian
Old 04-04-08, 01:25 PM
bguild
Pole Position

Guys, just a quick update. Replaced the ABS/TRAC ECU and also the TRAC ECU this morning with used ones from the junk yard. This did not fix my particular problem. I have already replaced the TRAC PUMP/ACCUMULATOR combo, so I am running out of pieces to replace. ;-)

This is probably some obscure bad ground, dead relay or something. I am putting my chances of solving this at <1 % ha.

Anyhow, I might try to replace the actuator assembly next. That is one piece I haven't tried.

Yes, I have the service manuals, and I am generally following them, but my current TRAC DTC is 43, and generally according to the manuals that is an issue with one of the ECUs

Brian
Old 04-05-08, 07:53 PM
George.S.
Rookie

i started havin that problem in fall of 07' when it started gettin cold and the engine light and trac off light stays on all thru winter. now its started to get warmer outside, like close to 50dgrees. i got up to start my day, drive around and like 20mins later i notice something was missin. the trac and engine light wasnt on. i was like "WOW the car fix itself" i was happy thru out the whole day. but at night when it got alil colder out the trac and eng light came back on "DAMMIT". today was the samething durin the day no light but at night light comes on. so im gussin its a weather thing for my Gs.
Old 04-09-08, 09:11 AM
bguild
Pole Position

This is a good post on LOC about how the accumulator works. I can see how it's possible that the accumulator could loose its internal pressure and cause problems. And if the TRAC diagnostics require a certain number of brake presses, it makes sense how the TRAC light could come on at random times due to certain driving behaviors.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=27445

Lexuspartsonline.com will sell a new accumulator, part number 47970-30011 (47970-30011 supercedes 47970-30010) for approx $520. I'm not sure I want to dump that kind of money into this problem right now.
Old 04-09-08, 09:17 AM
bguild
Pole Position

The following post contains a scan of the manual pages dedicated to bleeding the TRAC system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170398

Quick Reply: Infamous 1st Gen TRAC problem (pics inside)