GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

GE/GTE 1st Gen Hybrid is done! pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 02:15 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation GE/GTE 1st Gen Hybrid is done! pics!

I decided to start another thread b/c I have a ton of pics and the other one is already 3 pages long.

What you are seeing here is a JDM Aristo GTE bottom end mated to my 93 GE head and intake manifold.
The engine is still naturally aspirated at the moment, but will soon have a custom twin turbine setup. Power goals for that first stage of forced induction is 400-450 rwhp and boost low in the powerband since my focus is on drifting. Along the way in putting the engine together I changed some things and added some things to make it better in my opinion. One of them is to remove the plate separating the intake manifold halves. It caused a wierd dip in the power band on the dyno and when the engine is boosted, there will be plenty of torque to make up for the decreased velocity of it being wide open now. I removed that butterfly plate and pulled out the shaft, the remaining hole I tapped 1/8NPT and screwed in a port for a boost gauge to be used later on. Here's a pic of that:

I also stripped the head completely while it was off and had it milled and did a stock valve job.. no time or money to get into angle jobs at the moment.

Here is a shot of the hybrid assembled, and showing the modifcation I did to use the GTE oil cooler around the oil filter. You can also see the way that I have the GReddy oil pressure sender mounted in the turbo oil feeds off the GTE block. I'm not sure if the GTE oil cooler will be a lasting mod as I'm having trouble bleeding the cooling system b/c of the extra piping and slightly different coolant flow path. I'm going to be hitting up a local SC company for an aluminum radiator, oil cooler and tranny cooler soon anyway. I'll need the additional cooling for drifting the car in competition.

Here's a shot of the GTE sandwich type oil cooler on the oil filter. The GE doesnt have one, but taking it off will be a moot point anyway soon when I get the external oil cooler. Unfortunately I'll probably have to pull the engine out again to do it b/c the GTE water pipe wraps around the back of the engine.

more coming...
Old 09-05-04, 02:25 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 51 Posts

Looking good epik
Old 09-05-04, 02:31 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Default some more..

I found out in the middle of the project that I was dealing with an Aristo GTE not a Supra GTE b/c the oil pan was the same as mine. This was really fortunate and will save me a lot of time when I install the turbo. The GE upper oil pan baffle has the casting for the turbo oil return, but it is not tapped. I just used the Aristo GTE baffle and made a blockoff plate for the return. Now all i have to do is remove the plate install the stock GTE oil drain port when I put the turbo(s) on.

Aristo GTE pan.. look at the lower left and you'll see the plate on the aluminum baffle

Here is the GE short block.. nasty with 213k miles of grime, but a good shot of the casting for the oil return that is already there..just waiting to be used..
Old 09-05-04, 02:41 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good I can't wait to hear see the dyno sheet once you get your car up and running
Old 09-05-04, 02:43 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Default keep going..

Out with the old..

Gotta clean that junk up..

In with the new..

Old 09-05-04, 03:02 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Default and finally..

completed pics..

That's it!

So the mods were.. GTE short block, installed ARP head studs with GE head and top end. New valve seals, milled head, HKS cam gears. Removed intake manifold butterfly plate and tapped for boost gauge. Installed senders for GReddy water temp and oil pressure gauges. Blocked off EGR flow into head.

I still have:
.. HKS HiperMax D coilovers to repair one then install,
..the GReddy gauges have to be mounted,
..fabricate my single 85mm stainless exhaust system for the HKS carbon/ti muffler and modify the rear bumper of the kit to fit it,
..make another seat bracket for the passenger side Bride Ergo,
.. fabricate a "Sparco-style" harness bar for the front seats (will bolt to floor and B pillar),
..possibly remove the airbag steering wheel and install a Sparco Monza dished wheel in it's place. I'm surprised the airbag didnt pop when the car hit the curb and bounced when I bent my front rim.

After all that I'll be building a twin turbo kit and dialing it in for around 400+ rwhp to start with.

I'll be going to the dyno soon so I can dial in the current engine setup and will be sure to post the results of the GTE bottom end running NA. Oh and don't forget the Zex nitrous..hehehe

Stay tuned!
Old 09-05-04, 03:17 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 51 Posts

What would this cost a lex owner?great mod.
Old 09-05-04, 03:24 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

very impressive. shows lots of dedication to such an older car that many do not consider a sports sedan.
Old 09-05-04, 04:52 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Seeing those pictures is absolutely breathe taking! I never thought I would see the day a 1st gen owner would mod "under the hood" to this caliber. Best of luck with your project.

Bryan

Last edited by Wald GS; 09-05-04 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-05-04, 11:16 PM
sillbeer
Driver

Looks good Jeff. If your looking only for 400-450rwhp and your going to go twins just run the stockers for now. They are good for 450rwhp and you'll keep the low end response needed for drifting. Just a thought.

-Destin
Old 09-06-04, 01:13 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Nice work I'm glad people are still seriously modding the 1st gen, it'll make a really great sleeper
Old 09-06-04, 01:26 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Looking great man.... I am thinking of doing something similar. I was wondering what your opinion is on this though since you have some performance oriented experience. My car is a 94 with 100k on it. In my shoes whould you go with a 2jz-gte swap or turbo the current engine in my car. I am afriad if i turbo it I will have problems. Engine burns hella gas but runs great.
Old 09-06-04, 12:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Excellent
Old 09-07-04, 08:31 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LB Lex
Looks good I can't wait to hear see the dyno sheet once you get your car up and running
I hope to be able to post some #s again after Wednesday evening. I'll try and get the nitrous installed back into the car by then too. I mainly need to set up the SAFC2 again with the new lower compression shortblock, and I have cam gears to tune now too. Can't wait!
Old 09-07-04, 08:46 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexus4jess2
What would this cost a lex owner?great mod.
Hmm.. Jess, I havent thought about that. I bought my 2jzgte complete JDM swap before I even owned my GS, that 's how serious I am about this project. After researching it, I found that I didnt want the downtime and I couldnt spare the additional research time from paying jobs to do the wiring splices for the complete GTE swap right now. I also didnt want to use the stock JDM twins either b/c they have ceramic exhaust wheels that arent stable over 1.0bar of boost... very susceptible to cracking and disintegration. So.. that leads me to the solution I did. At first I was just going to swap the guts of the GTE to my block, but I figured if it aint broke dont fix it.. so I lubed up the GTE bearings with NEO Assembly lube to give them a good shot and cleaned the hell out of the shortblock... pulled the oil pans and cleaned them out and everything. Then while the head was off I decked it and hot tanked it, and did a full valve job (stock specs).

I'm guessing the money that I have in it, without my own labor (which would be about 30 hrs total..or $1800.00 in my shop) I have about $3000.00 in the GTE.. another $200.00 in gaskets and seals.. and $300.00 or so in the cam gears.. $150.00 in the ARP head studs.. with incidentals I guess it comes to around $3800.00 before labor.

The good thing is, now I have the GE shortblock that I can clean and stuff with forged pistons and rods, work the GTE head and stuff it with goodies and have a monster motor waiting in the wings. That is, if I ever find the need to exceed the power handling of the GTE stock block.. pretty beefy.

Quick Reply: GE/GTE 1st Gen Hybrid is done! pics!