GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

cracked radiator-oem or aftermarket!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 06:25 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked radiator-oem or aftermarket!?!

Hey guys, when i went to order my wheels i found out that my radiator is cracker. It doesn't look too bad but needs to be fixed. The crack is right underneath the air intake and looks like a line crack! (probably about an inch long). Can these radiators be rebuilt and if not how much are the originals? Or is there a performance aftermarket radiator? and how much?
Thanks again guys!
Old 08-26-04, 06:54 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Sorry to read about your radiator, but I just replaced mine 2 days ago because of a crack in the same spot..The factory radiator is $415.00, but I ordered and installed an aftermarket radiator that has a lifetime warranty and fittament was excellent and the best part was that it was only $168.00 delivered to my door.. Here is the link to their website..
http://www.auto-car-radiators.com/cg...21104385119.e0

Just make sure that you call in your order because I got a better price than what was on the site..I also recommend that you use the lexus(toyota) red coolant when you change the radiator and also you may want to change your tranny cooling lines because my lines where old and kind of fell apart when I disconnected them from the radiator(The lines are rubber and you can buy them from any auto parts store, and also have some tranny fluid handy because it will will leak out,lexus tranny fluid is T typeIV)..If you haven't , you should also change your thermostat and check your upper and lower radiator hoses..The whole job took me about 2 1/2 hours and my car is running alot better...Hope this helps..
Old 08-26-04, 07:01 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Originally posted by johnee78
Sorry to read about your radiator, but I just replaced mine 2 days ago because of a crack in the same spot..The factory radiator is $415.00, but I ordered and installed an aftermarket radiator that has a lifetime warranty and fittament was excellent and the best part was that it was only $168.00 delivered to my door.. Here is the link to their website..

Just make sure that you call in your order because I got a better price than what was on the site..I also recommend that you use the lexus(toyota) red coolant when you change the radiator and also you may want to change your tranny cooling lines because my lines where old and kind of fell apart when I disconnected them from the radiator(The lines are rubber and you can buy them from any auto parts store, and also have some tranny fluid handy because it will will leak out,lexus tranny fluid is T typeIV)..If you haven't , you should also change your thermostat and check your upper and lower radiator hoses..The whole job took me about 2 1/2 hours and my car is running alot better...Hope this helps..
Hey man, thanks for all the info! But can i or someone esle rebuilt the same radiator that i have? (just trying to save $$$) if not then i'm ordering a new one!
Thanks again!
Old 08-26-04, 07:02 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

and how long did it take to get to your door? (since i hate driving my car like this)
thanks again!
Old 08-26-04, 07:06 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bmoon_007
Hey man, thanks for all the info! But can i or someone esle rebuilt the same radiator that i have? (just trying to save $$$) if not then i'm ordering a new one!
Thanks again!
I wouldn't rebuild a radiator thats over 10years old and when you remove it and see how much crap has accumulated(leaves, rocks , ect..)under it you"ll understand..just order a new one and get a lifetime warranty..
Old 08-26-04, 07:07 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

and how long did it take to get to your door? (since i hate driving my car like this)
thanks again!
I ordered it at 2:00 and it arrived the next day at 10:00 in the morning..Now thats next day delivery!!
Old 08-26-04, 07:21 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

I ordered it at 2:00 and it arrived the next day at 10:00 in the morning..Now thats next day delivery!!
Yeah you're right, i'm not trying to be cheap! I called that site and they have a warehouse right around the corner from me and have one in stock. He quoted me $189 w/ lifetime warranty or a 1year warrany for $165. I told him about someone refering me and what they got it for and they gave it to me for $168 w/life time warranty. "YOU DA MAN johnee78".........should've told him that you got it for $138!?!..............lol.................j/k..........hey, thanks again man, you've been MUCH help! By the way, what's your name and where you from?
Old 08-26-04, 07:23 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Yeah you're right, i'm not trying to be cheap! I called that site and they have a warehouse right around the corner from me and have one in stock. He quoted me $189 w/ lifetime warranty or a 1year warrany for $165. I told him about someone refering me and what they got it for and they gave it to me for $168 w/life time warranty. "YOU DA MAN johnee78".........should've told him that you got it for $138!?!..............lol.................j/k..........hey, thanks again man, you've been MUCH help! By the way, what's your name and where you from?
Glad I could help..My name is John and I live in Florida..For that price you can't beat it and the warranty makes it even sweeter..Are you going to install it yourself???
Old 08-26-04, 07:29 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Glad I could help..My name is John and I live in Florida..For that price you can't beat it and the warranty makes it even sweeter..Are you going to install it yourself???
Nice to meet you John, my name is Braulio but people call me "B" for short! Yeah, i'm going to try to install it myself, doesn't look to hard and if i need some help then i'll ask my bro-inlaw (works for toyota). He said that his dicounts aren't all that!?! (anyways) Is there anything i should lookout for when taking it off or when installing it?
Old 08-26-04, 07:36 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Nice to meet you John, my name is Braulio but people call me "B" for short! Yeah, i'm going to try to install it myself, doesn't look to hard and if i need some help then i'll ask my bro-inlaw (works for toyota). He said that his dicounts aren't all that!?! (anyways) Is there anything i should lookout for when taking it off or when installing it?
Nice to meet you too..It's not hard to change, it's just a procedure of steps that you have to do..First make sure you get the coolant and some tranny fluid(USE the Lexus/toyota brand stuff don't cheap out here) and distilled water from the store, the hoses that I mentioned earlier and a 10mm & 12mm socket and some pliers so you can move the hose clamps..Also make sure you go to the auto parts store and buy a big pan to catch all of the coolant and tranny fluid..If you need any help don't hesitate to ask...
Old 08-26-04, 07:44 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Nice to meet you too..It's not hard to change, it's just a procedure of steps that you have to do..First make sure you get the coolant and some tranny fluid(USE the Lexus/toyota brand stuff don't cheap out here) and distilled water from the store, the hoses that I mentioned earlier and a 10mm & 12mm socket and some pliers so you can move the hose clamps..Also make sure you go to the auto parts store and buy a big pan to catch all of the coolant and tranny fluid..If you need any help don't hesitate to ask...
Where do i get the lexus coolant and all? (dealership?) Hey thanks again, (i sound like a broken record), i guess i'll do this on the weekend! but i'm buying the radiator today!
Old 08-26-04, 07:46 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Where do i get the lexus coolant and all? (dealership?) Hey thanks again, (i sound like a broken record), i guess i'll do this on the weekend! but i'm buying the radiator today!
You can buy the tranny fluid(1qt.) and a bottle of red coolant at the dealership and buy the water from the grocery store..Good luck, let us know how it goes..
Old 08-26-04, 07:52 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

You can buy the tranny fluid(1qt.) and a bottle of red coolant at the dealership and buy the water from the grocery store..Good luck, let us know how it goes..
Will do, and I will post pics of the car when i get my wheels! (hopefully 5 business days!)
Thanks!!!
Old 08-26-04, 08:03 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Will do, and I will post pics of the car when i get my wheels! (hopefully 5 business days!)
Thanks!!!
Sounds great, good luck...
Old 08-26-04, 06:14 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Get the coolant and tranny fluid from a Toyota dealer, they are much cheaper than from a Lexus dealer and is the same exact stuff.

Quick Reply: cracked radiator-oem or aftermarket!?!