GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Issue after getting TSB Brake pads done on the F

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 03:53 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Issue after getting TSB Brake pads done on the F

Yesterday got both TSB's done on my F. One for the fuel pump and the other for the brake pads.

Today was warm so I drove with the windows down and noticed there is a sort of metallic rubbing sound coming from the brakes, and once I apply the brakes the sound stops completely. But as soon as I let off the Brake pedal the sound reappears again.

I also noticed a decreased pedal feel, I definitely have to push down on the brake pedal more and the bite is not as sharp as the original pads.

Yes I am aware the other pads were rated for the track and were more performance based, but I did not expect they would be this different. Can anyone provide any advice or assistance. Did anyone else who got this done have this issue and what can I do about it. My dealer is an hour away so I have made them aware of it, but finding the time to go back is going to be the hard part with work/school/life etc.

Is it possible the service tech didnt bed my brakes? or One of the pins are now rubbing on the rotor. Any help would be appreciated as I am pretty annoyed right now.

Thanks guys,
Old 02-18-17, 05:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

^^^^I would be very surprised if they did bed the brakes. Personally, I would NOT want anyone, except me, to drive my ISF in a manner necessary to bed my brakes.

And Yes, the TSB brakes are lower performing pads then the the ones from the factory.

Lou
Old 02-19-17, 04:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Yesterday got both TSB's done on my F. One for the fuel pump and the other for the brake pads.

Today was warm so I drove with the windows down and noticed there is a sort of metallic rubbing sound coming from the brakes, and once I apply the brakes the sound stops completely. But as soon as I let off the Brake pedal the sound reappears again.

I also noticed a decreased pedal feel, I definitely have to push down on the brake pedal more and the bite is not as sharp as the original pads.

Yes I am aware the other pads were rated for the track and were more performance based, but I did not expect they would be this different. Can anyone provide any advice or assistance. Did anyone else who got this done have this issue and what can I do about it. My dealer is an hour away so I have made them aware of it, but finding the time to go back is going to be the hard part with work/school/life etc.

Is it possible the service tech didnt bed my brakes? or One of the pins are now rubbing on the rotor. Any help would be appreciated as I am pretty annoyed right now.

Thanks guys,
Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I would be very surprised if they did bed the brakes. Personally, I would NOT want anyone, except me, to drive my ISF in a manner necessary to bed my brakes.

And Yes, the TSB brakes are lower performing pads then the the ones from the factory.

Lou
+1. You got brake pads that make less noise and dust less. With that you get more pedal effort. I run Project Mu HC+800 on my IS F. They make ugly noises at very low speeds, make horrible dust, and feel like magic when I ask them to slow the car. I wish the OEM pads on the GS F were so effortless, but if they were, most of the members here would be complaining about noise and dust for sure, and maybe about them being too aggressive.

None of this impacts stopping distance, but it surely impacts the driver's perception of stopping distance and the balance of pedal effort between throttle and brake. I just recently changed my Supra brake pads from Hawk HPS to Project Mu HC+, and at the same time finally got the last little bit of air out of the ABS. They're way noisier, but the balance between throttle, brake, and clutch is stellar now. Project Mu isn't cheap, but their products are really very intelligently aimed at the market they intend to serve.
Old 02-19-17, 09:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

^^^^Right, no impact on stopping distance, the first time the brakes are used in a panic stop or at the track. But, don't forget the impact on fade resistance. I am running Ferodo DS2500 in front and PM HC+800 in back. Phenomenal setup, especially with RRRacing's USRS bushings in front. And, I have no noise - but yes, I do have dust.

Lou
Old 02-20-17, 07:06 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks flowrider and lobuxracer for the responses, I performed a bedding procedure on Saturday night, and on my drive home cooling off the brakes the sound went away. I didn't drive the car yesterday but on my way to work this morning the car was fine, no sound. Parked up the entire day and on my way home, the sound returned =(. Any ideas? I will probably be carrying it back to Lexus, but would attempting to bed the pads again potentially warp the rotors? (Sorry if thats a stupid thing to say, not really sure here).

Its really weird because as soon as I touch the brake pedal, even slightly the sound stops completely. Thanks guys..
Old 02-23-17, 01:56 PM
Logic83
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by shivad87
Thanks flowrider and lobuxracer for the responses, I performed a bedding procedure on Saturday night, and on my drive home cooling off the brakes the sound went away. I didn't drive the car yesterday but on my way to work this morning the car was fine, no sound. Parked up the entire day and on my way home, the sound returned =(. Any ideas? I will probably be carrying it back to Lexus, but would attempting to bed the pads again potentially warp the rotors? (Sorry if thats a stupid thing to say, not really sure here).

Its really weird because as soon as I touch the brake pedal, even slightly the sound stops completely. Thanks guys..

I had this same problem no less than 3 weeks ago. I had both TSB's done on my GSF. Take the car back to the dealership. More than likely when they replaced the pads a holding pin came loose on the backing plate and is rubbing the tip of the rotors. They said its very common when changing out brake pads if the technician doesn't check the backing plates.. If left unpinned you'll need to have your rotors resurfaced.
Bottom line - TAKE IT BACK!
Old 02-24-17, 09:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Resurfaced? WTF? I never do that. It's a waste of good metal.

What does "a holding pin came loose on the backing plate" mean? Sounds like service advisor BS to me.