GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Turn Signal Blinks and LPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 07:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts
Default Turn Signal Blinks and LPS

I took the car in for the 5000 mile service yesterday and after researching TIS, asked them to modify the number of blinks on the turn signal when you use the soft blink function. TIS says you can set it to 3, 5, or 7 blinks. Unfortunately, the guys at the dealership were unable to make the procedure in TIS work. No surprise, it's like a freaking NES cheat code (they could really learn a lot from Hyundai on this point) and when I read through it, I was thinking, wow, glad I'm having them do it.

Don't get me wrong, I have access to Techstream and I could try it myself, but, why would I choose to do that if I can have it done for me by a dealer tech who has likely done this before? (Really bad assumption because these cars are so rare).

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask if anyone else has done this, and if so, what dealership did it so Nalley can call them and figure out what they're doing wrong? Has anyone done this?
Old 02-10-17, 11:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

NVM. I figured it out. Dealership techs don't see enough of these to get what needs to be done.

It truly is like an NES cheat code, but you don't need Techstream to do it. Just follow the procedure diligently.

Hyundai has Lexus beat to a pulp with this. I rented a Hyundai Santa Fe and was able to do this with an on screen menu in seconds.
Old 02-11-17, 12:08 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Just in case any other GSF owner wants to change it themselves, here are "simplified" instructions from the 4GS forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBike
1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks
The following users liked this post:
Stormryu (02-11-17)
Old 02-11-17, 07:13 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
NVM. I figured it out. Dealership techs don't see enough of these to get what needs to be done.

It truly is like an NES cheat code, but you don't need Techstream to do it. Just follow the procedure diligently.

Hyundai has Lexus beat to a pulp with this. I rented a Hyundai Santa Fe and was able to do this with an on screen menu in seconds.
Cool info and I will give it a try because the number of turn signal blinks seemed excessive.

Lance - I must have just missed you. I picked mine up around noon from my 5K miles service and I too got the impression Nalley has not seen too many GSF's through the bays yet.
Old 02-11-17, 02:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mr2dave
Cool info and I will give it a try because the number of turn signal blinks seemed excessive.

Lance - I must have just missed you. I picked mine up around noon from my 5K miles service and I too got the impression Nalley has not seen too many GSF's through the bays yet.
That's funny. I saw your car - not knowing if it was yours for sure, but I suspected it was. Those instructions worked. TIS is a little cryptic. I was thinking of shooting a video and posting it, but it sounds like this is pretty well known.

My only remaining issue is moving the HUD so I can see it. I only see the lower half of the numbers. Have to have working Techstream for that.
Old 02-12-17, 08:37 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Regarding the HUD, I know you are a tall dude and you probably already know this, but you can adjust the view up or down from the buttons tucked above your left knee on the dash.

When I test drove the first vehicle, I pushed the HUD button and it was perfectly aligned and visible but when I purchased mine and tried the HUD a few days later, nothing. Thought maybe I missed that option but one time when exiting the vehicle I caught a glimpse of it on the windshield then figured out it is based off of the angle and driver view. So that said, if you knew all this already and you are just too damn tall, then I understand why you are talking Techstream.

For what it is worth, I really find the HUD distracting but it is nice on the highway at night. My son loves to drive with it on all the time, I keep it off when I pilot. That said, the next turn display is nice if you are running the GPS.

Last edited by mr2dave; 02-12-17 at 08:41 AM.
lobuxracer (02-12-17)
Old 02-12-17, 09:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

That's the odd thing... IIRC the 4RX indicator can be changed in the setting from the infotainment system. Not sure why some models use the cheat code and others use the settings menu.
Old 02-12-17, 12:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mr2dave
Regarding the HUD, I know you are a tall dude and you probably already know this, but you can adjust the view up or down from the buttons tucked above your left knee on the dash.

When I test drove the first vehicle, I pushed the HUD button and it was perfectly aligned and visible but when I purchased mine and tried the HUD a few days later, nothing. Thought maybe I missed that option but one time when exiting the vehicle I caught a glimpse of it on the windshield then figured out it is based off of the angle and driver view. So that said, if you knew all this already and you are just too damn tall, then I understand why you are talking Techstream.

For what it is worth, I really find the HUD distracting but it is nice on the highway at night. My son loves to drive with it on all the time, I keep it off when I pilot. That said, the next turn display is nice if you are running the GPS.
I completely missed that switch. Awesome! I tried it and now it's perfect. I really thought I could only move the display with Techstream. Big thanks Dave!!!
Old 02-14-17, 07:37 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Just in case any other GSF owner wants to change it themselves, here are "simplified" instructions from the 4GS forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBike
1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks
Wow this is pretty neat....I just changed mine to 7 blinks.....
Does anyone know if this feature available on a 2011 RX450h ?
Old 02-17-17, 03:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

For the visual learners out there:

Old 02-17-17, 05:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Would luv that on my ISF. My Silverado has it, but it's preset to 3 flashes. ISF, only one

Lou
Old 02-17-17, 07:19 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I couldn't get this to work on my GS-F...I got the flash confirmations but the Blinking Commands won't set...
Old 02-17-17, 08:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 16GSF00336
I couldn't get this to work on my GS-F...I got the flash confirmations but the Blinking Commands won't set...
OK, so I didn't do it like the video shows. I set the wiper delay switch before doing anything. If it is at the bottom, you'll get 3 blinks. One up from there 5 blinks. Two up and 7 blinks. At the top, the feature is turned off (so it works just like my IS F).
16GSF00336 (02-18-17)
Old 02-18-17, 01:22 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you!

OK, so I didn't do it like the video shows. I set the wiper delay switch before doing anything. If it is at the bottom, you'll get 3 blinks. One up from there 5 blinks. Two up and 7 blinks. At the top, the feature is turned off (so it works just like my IS F).
Old 03-25-17, 10:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Would luv that on my ISF. My Silverado has it, but it's preset to 3 flashes. ISF, only one

Lou
Well, you guys here aren't going to give a darn on this forum, but I accomplished this on my ISF. There is a thread in the ISF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

Started a month after my post here. I installed my SmartTap relay last night. I have it set to 4 blinks for the turn signal and the hazards set to strobe. Luv it

Lou

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Blinks and LPS