GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 06:52 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Check engine light

Got the check engine light today when I went and start my car remotely. A little bit after the engine remotely started the car turn off. If I start the engine manually it doesn't shut off. I want to see if the check engine would go away after I disconnect the battery or should I take it in for service. It's near the 5k miles service. I've notice a bit of the performance cut back and noticeable noises the more I open up the throttle. Check engine before 5k on a Lexus, this got me thinking.
Old 01-29-17, 07:16 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Invest in a decent code reader/scanner. Depending on the CEL code performance will degrade(Limp mode) or it could be as simple as loose fuel tank cap which will take a while to go off. Remote start has engine run time with default value of 15 mins. If engine shuts off right after remote started and if the remote brain sensed something not right it'll shut down the engine. What kinda remote starter
do you have?

Last edited by Htony; 01-29-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 07:37 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htony
Invest in a decent code reader/scanner. Depending on the CEL code performance will degrade(Limp mode) or it could be as simple as loose fuel tank cap which will take a while to go off. Remote start has engine run time with default value of 15 mins. If engine shuts off right after remote started and if the remote brain sensed something not right it'll shut down the engine. What kinda remote starter
do you have?
Thanks, Ill check the fuel tank. Remote start on my 16' gs f is default to 10 min max. I remote start with factory key fob. Haven't try it with the phone app just yet. Any GS F owner has heard of a louder air flow noise when you open up the throttle? I don't remember hearing that noise before.
Old 01-29-17, 09:43 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFbeast
Thanks, Ill check the fuel tank. Remote start on my 16' gs f is default to 10 min max. I remote start with factory key fob. Haven't try it with the phone app just yet. Any GS F owner has heard of a louder air flow noise when you open up the throttle? I don't remember hearing that noise before.
Does GS F have this Remote Start feature via Key Fob built in? So far, i have only attempted via Enform App.
Old 01-30-17, 05:30 AM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Originally Posted by Salil022
Does GS F have this Remote Start feature via Key Fob built in? So far, i have only attempted via Enform App.
if I'm not mistaken, I think all Lexus that are 2016 and newer have built in remote start on the key fob. But you have to be current subscriber to the Lexus Enform to use those added benefits. I found this out after my third Lexus I owned last year. So, I didn't find this out on my first car. It's a cool feature using the key fob instead of pulling out your phone and yes I'm still waiting for the smart watch app. Seems like Lexus are taking way too long for this to happen.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 08:49 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Got the check engine light today when I went and start my car remotely. A little bit after the engine remotely started the car turn off. If I start the engine manually it doesn't shut off. I want to see if the check engine would go away after I disconnect the battery or should I take it in for service. It's near the 5k miles service. I've notice a bit of the performance cut back and noticeable noises the more I open up the throttle. Check engine before 5k on a Lexus, this got me thinking.
It is a brand new car, I would take it to the dealer.

Last edited by mr2dave; 02-02-17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 09:56 AM
GSFbeast
Rookie

I thought about that, but I managed to reset it by disconnected the battery. We'll see if it goes off again.

Originally Posted by mr2dave
It is a brand new car, take it to the dealer.
Old 01-30-17, 12:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Did you reset everything the car forgot when you disconnected the battery? All the windows initialized, sunroof, etc? I never disconnect the battery unless I have no choice.
Old 01-30-17, 02:19 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

if I'm not mistaken, I think all Lexus that are 2016 and newer have built in remote start on the key fob. But you have to be current subscriber to the Lexus Enform to use those added benefits. I found this out after my third Lexus I owned last year. So, I didn't find this out on my first car. It's a cool feature using the key fob instead of pulling out your phone and yes I'm still waiting for the smart watch app. Seems like Lexus are taking way too long for this to happen.
I just tried the Remote Start from the KeyFob...
Yes !!! it works !!! lol
I didn't know this feature........very nice...very nice......
Old 01-30-17, 05:00 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you reset everything the car forgot when you disconnected the battery? All the windows initialized, sunroof, etc? I never disconnect the battery unless I have no choice.
nothing happened. At first the car start and shut off then on the second attempt it start up just fine. There's a message saying do no turn of the engine via the nav screen. I just let it do its thing. My phone contact we're still there. Clock reset to norm. Seat setting still saved in memory. Heater setting went back to 72 degrees. Other than that it's still the same. OT sure if anything else got resets like the sound system setting etc.
Old 01-30-17, 06:56 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Yup, just press lock 3 times on your key fob and then on the 3rd time, hold the button down. In 30 seconds or so, your lights will flash and the car should start. I don't believe you need to have Enform for that feature to work.
Old 01-30-17, 07:13 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
I just tried the Remote Start from the KeyFob...
Yes !!! it works !!! lol
I didn't know this feature........very nice...very nice......
Pretty cool imho.
Old 01-30-17, 11:04 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by danwlee
Yup, just press lock 3 times on your key fob and then on the 3rd time, hold the button down. In 30 seconds or so, your lights will flash and the car should start. I don't believe you need to have Enform for that feature to work.
Unfortunately you do need an active Enform subscription (after the 1 year trial) for the key fob start function to work. When the trial expires, the feature is disabled after about a week.
The following users liked this post:
danwlee (01-31-17)
Old 01-31-17, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Tried this on the wife's car last night, purchased in October, without Enform. It does not work on her car. No big deal to me or her, I work in Infosec and the last thing I want enabled is someone's ability to interfere with the systems on the car.
Old 02-04-17, 10:00 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by danwlee

Well **** i had no clue...THANKS!!!...just wished the car stayed on after opening the door.
(so it can continue to heat or cool as i load the baby in the car and then pack up the stroller)