GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Dealership got my ss#

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 07:57 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Dealership got my ss#

Ok I don't know if I'm posting this in the right category if it's not right please move it to the right spot.

So I bought a GSF from Pohanka Lexus and had the car delivered to Indiana I got my own financing so 3 weeks later the dealership emailed me asking for my SS#, loan contract, and etc so they can tile the car. I didn't give it to them and some how they got my SS# and I called the store manager and spoke with him and he stated that I sent it in but will not send me a copy of it and stated that the dealership lost it so he can't provide it. So my questions is is there a way for a dealership to come up with someone's social security info? What actions should I take. I have spoken to the store manager and he told me that he can't provide that for me and for me to take to his legal dept which I have and he can't come up with anything either.

Last edited by 13FSPORT; 01-06-17 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 08:46 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Are you confident they have it? What proof?
Old 01-06-17, 10:41 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

SSN can be obtained maybe from credit bureau if legit entity requests it.
Old 01-07-17, 02:54 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
SSN can be obtained maybe from credit bureau if legit entity requests it.
What he said
Old 01-07-17, 07:41 AM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IsfClyde
What he said

They have its on the title app. but before they sent that to me they asked for my SS info and etc when my bank got the title app to register the car it was on there. So the bank called and ask me how the dealership got it bc they called the bank to see if they would give them the info.

When I ask the GM how they got it he stated I sent it in when I sign the paper via Fedex so I asked him to send me a copy where I wrote down my SS info and he stated that they lost it and cant provide it to me and told me he's done talking to me that I can talk to his legal dept and hung up. So I did talk to the legal dept and he stated he would find out whats going on and called back and pretty much told me the same thing that GM told me that I sent it in but they cant provide anything that I sent them to prove that's how they got

Last edited by 13FSPORT; 01-07-17 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add pic of the email
Old 01-07-17, 09:37 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

Sounds extremely fishy. What's worse is that they "found" your social, but now they've "lost" the documents with your social security number on them?

Target, Home Depot, Chase, etc. were all sued when there was a breach of privacy, I'm assuming they could be too.
Old 01-07-17, 02:41 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95bat
Sounds extremely fishy. What's worse is that they "found" your social, but now they've "lost" the documents with your social security number on them?

Target, Home Depot, Chase, etc. were all sued when there was a breach of privacy, I'm assuming they could be too.

Yes thats what I was thinking...
Old 01-07-17, 03:03 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I mean if this is true it is a serious offense on the dealerships part. I would be real sure they have it or had it because they would have to answer a lot of questions in regards to it.
Old 01-07-17, 03:22 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I mean if this is true it is a serious offense on the dealerships part. I would be real sure they have it or had it because they would have to answer a lot of questions in regards to it.
It sounds like they know that, too. That is probably why he was told to contact their legal department.
Old 01-07-17, 09:55 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95bat
It sounds like they know that, too. That is probably why he was told to contact their legal department.
Why would the legal dept tell me that they don't have it in writing? You would think if I sent it in they wouldn't have asked for it via email and call my bank and ask for it my bank called me and told me that so I have my bank as a witness of the dealership saying they don't have it and if they can provide for them
Old 01-08-17, 09:42 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
Why would the legal dept tell me that they don't have it in writing? You would think if I sent it in they wouldn't have asked for it via email and call my bank and ask for it my bank called me and told me that so I have my bank as a witness of the dealership saying they don't have it and if they can provide for them
What I was getting at was the GM figured they were in hot water, which is why he told you to contact the legal department. I don't know why the legal department would tell you they don't have it, when obviously they do if it was produced on dealership documentation. It might be their best course of action, deny deny deny... do you have any sort of credit monitoring?
Old 01-09-17, 01:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

SSN is easy to get. Lots of legitimate and illegitimate sources for that. Driver's license number is harder to get, and usually the thing the bad guys need to complete true name credit fraud. The hype over SSN disclosure is way overblown.
Old 01-09-17, 01:57 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Just spoke with the GM of all of Pohanka dealership and he even told me the same thing today that he's not wasting his time to look into how they got my SS info.... This dealership is something else... I need to figure out who can look into this and see how they got it bc they are not wanting to give me any info...
Old 01-09-17, 04:50 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

You were going to give it to them anyway correct? You're just wanting to know how they got it basically...Just for your info?
Just monitor your credit, credit cards, etc etc etc to make sure nothing gets out of the ordinary. A ton of people/companies can pull your SSN if need be. Don't worry too much about it I say. Don't rack your brain unnecessarily. Enjoy your F!!

V.
The following users liked this post:
13FSPORT (01-09-17)
Old 01-10-17, 09:30 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
You were going to give it to them anyway correct? You're just wanting to know how they got it basically...Just for your info?
Just monitor your credit, credit cards, etc etc etc to make sure nothing gets out of the ordinary. A ton of people/companies can pull your SSN if need be. Don't worry too much about it I say. Don't rack your brain unnecessarily. Enjoy your F!!

V.
Well said. Reality talking. Nothing is secret this day and age. They know more about you than you know yourself, LOL! If purchase were made with cash(bank draft) they wouldn't bother with SSN. When deal is made on my purchase, I tell them give me your account number so I can x-fer fund right now. That's it , already new car is paid for. Save time and paper work...
The following users liked this post:
13FSPORT (01-10-17)

Quick Reply: Dealership got my ss#