GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Someone rear-end my car, now the new bumper color mismatch

Old 12-28-16, 06:20 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Someone rear-end my car, now the new bumper color mismatch

Someone at the parking lot just rear-ended my GSF that was just purchased a month ago.
Brought the car to the body shop, and they couldn't really get the color right on the new bumper.
The reason is that even got Lexus people to come over for the paint and still couldn't get it right due to USB 2.0 is such a unique and problematic color to deal with,
and they have repainted the new bumper from OEM twice already that they couldn't paint anything more.

They gave me 2 option, either refunded me fully that insurance quote them so I can go to any other shop to do it, or they can try to fix the old bumper with some respray since it was just bent.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-28-16, 06:34 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

well for one, that looks like a bad quality paint job.

2. you have to blend panels. you can't just repaint the bumper only. any decent shop would of known this. even the adjuster would of known.

Get your insurance to pay for a good shop to repaint. You will have to blend it to the rear quarter panels
Old 12-28-16, 06:44 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

you need a really good shop to match that. how bad is the old bumper? if the paints okay is heating it up and straightening it out an option? sorry to hear about your gsf bud
Old 12-28-16, 07:10 PM
bolaga
Rookie

This is the damage, the bend is only visible under the red reflector, cant find it anywhere else.

Some suggested to bring the car to a body shop called AW Collision (Seems like a chain store), not sure if they can deal with it better.
Since I am in SF Bay area, really don't know where to bring it to. Open for suggestions.

Should I just let the current body shop deal with the current bumper? Or try the AW Collision shop since Lexus dealership suggested it.

Old 12-28-16, 07:15 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

that damage is really not bad. At least from what the picture is showing. I believe you can buff or compound out those scratches. As for the Dent, a good body shop would recommend trying to heat it up and push it out for you.

I also own a GSF the same color as you and got my entire rear bumper covered in clear bra. In this situation of a minor incident i believe it may have saved you some damage to an extent.

Hopefully someone here can recommend a shop to help you out. Hope all goes well.
Old 12-29-16, 06:45 AM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subject to your insurance policy repair policy and guarantees, suggest telling the insurance company that the repair is unsatisfactory, painted incorrectly/paint and finish mismatch, the repair center has no confidence they can do it correctly and that the repair needs to be taken to Lexus Collision Repair center that know how to do the job correctly.

Other suggestions include taking it to the Lexus dealership/service center that has a collision repair center that stands behind their work, verify with the repair center that they have the experience (re)painting 4 stage Ultra Sonic Blue 2.0 or call Lexus Corporate for assistance in recommended Lexus Collision Repair centers with experience (re)painting 4 stage USB2.0.

BTW, I would prefer an experienced center that can get the closest match and not blend/overlap new paint on the rear quarter panels.
Old 12-29-16, 07:12 AM
Maxiii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bolaga
This is the damage, the bend is only visible under the red reflector, cant find it anywhere else.

Some suggested to bring the car to a body shop called AW Collision (Seems like a chain store), not sure if they can deal with it better.
Since I am in SF Bay area, really don't know where to bring it to. Open for suggestions.

Should I just let the current body shop deal with the current bumper? Or try the AW Collision shop since Lexus dealership suggested it.

Bring your car to M&S Collision. It's located in Milpitas. Here's a link https://www.yelp.com/biz/m-and-s-collision-milpitas
Ask for Chuck (hopefully he still there i haven't been to the shop in a long time.) and tell him i sent you
I had several cars and body worked from there. They do an excellent job in panting. I used to own a Rio Yellow Pearl S2000. That color is hard to match and one time i had my rear bumper repainted. (body was at least 4 years old) They color matched it very well!

- Max
Old 12-29-16, 09:04 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

There are only a few Lexus Certified Collision Centers, but it might be worth getting your car there if you want the perfect color match.

Old 12-29-16, 10:53 AM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're in the SF Bay Area, I recommend Redwood City Auto Body. All 5-star reviews. I've been there many times with my previous cars. Super professional, awesome service, and original paint-matching. Alex is the owner. It's worth a shot dropping by and talking to them, you have nothing to lose. https://www.yelp.com/biz/redwood-cit...y-redwood-city
Old 12-29-16, 04:57 PM
GSF4RL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lfinesse
subject to your insurance policy repair policy and guarantees, suggest telling the insurance company that the repair is unsatisfactory, painted incorrectly/paint and finish mismatch, the repair center has no confidence they can do it correctly and that the repair needs to be taken to lexus collision repair center that know how to do the job correctly.

Other suggestions include taking it to the lexus dealership/service center that has a collision repair center that stands behind their work, verify with the repair center that they have the experience (re)painting 4 stage ultra sonic blue 2.0 or call lexus corporate for assistance in recommended lexus collision repair centers with experience (re)painting 4 stage usb2.0.

Btw, i would prefer an experienced center that can get the closest match and not blend/overlap new paint on the rear quarter panels.
^^^^^^^ this! ^^^^^^^
Old 12-30-16, 01:39 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Thanks for all the responds.

The current bodyshop I worked with just told me they wouldn't try to do blend either, since they still can't get the color right.
The local lexus dealership refer me to AW Collision, and as I read their paintwork page, it seems like they are doing the color.
http://www.awcollision.com/paintwork.html
They did mention 3 stage with Mica, Pearl, Metallic, and computer sensing , but USB Mica is 4 stage paintwork, not sure if its the same thing.

The closet Lexus certified center is almost 2 hours away from me in Santa Rosa. Any suggestion?
Old 12-30-16, 02:25 PM
GSF4RL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe trying calling one of the Lexus certified centers listed above and speak to the manager. See if they have a recommendation for someone in your area......
Old 12-31-16, 03:56 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

The new bumper doesn't even come close to the original color, i would ask them to re do it or find someone that can. I would drive two hours or more (or ship the bumper to a certified Lexus repair shop) and have your insurance cover the cost
Old 01-04-17, 04:25 PM
flashnacka
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks, sorry to hear that.
Old 01-31-17, 07:57 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Took the car to the Santa Rosa's Freeman collision center, which is a Lexus Certified one. The end result turn out to be darker than the rest of the color.
I have argued with the representative about the color and told them that its a 4 stage paint before they even tried to fix it, yet they argued that it's just a 3 stage paint and they can do it just fine.
It turns out that the color is much darker than the original color, and the edge of the bumper was either scratched or not painted.

When I told them about the paint and the unpainted edge ( I can even touch the plastic out of that white part, not wax or any other compound ), this is the response I get.

I reviewed the photos from the original bumper color match, and it looks almost identical to the previous bumper in color and tone. I have attached the image that you initially emailed me for review. As for the color, I understand your initial emphasis. In my 13 years of experience in the auto body trade, I can tell you that a clear coat in between color coats will not lighten a color, it will in fact darken it. The color that we used was, per our paint system which is produced by Axalta, and I can assure you, that what we sprayed was the closest possible match to your color. With the paint systems that are available to all of us, including the manufacturer, we work diligently to ensure the product meets the standard laid down by the factory. Plastic panels will not reflect light the same was as steel and that is another key difference in color appearance. I noted that your front bumper is also different in tone to the front body panels as well. All that being said I’m happy to inspect the vehicle with you in person. I just want to assure you that the highest care was taken including having my production manager come out with myself and the painter to inspect the color before the vehicle was assembled. In the photo that you attached, I believe the white is actually a polishing compound that didn’t come all the way off after polishing the bumper. I can remove that for you at any time
This is just ridiculous from a Lexus Certified center. Even their people came out who saw me checking out the car noticed the color difference without me telling them anything about it, and that was during sunset, so no sunlight involvement on that.

I understand that the plastic and metal has different color tone, but the front bumper wasn't even this much off. Now I am clueless on what to do next, except paying out of pocket on a new shop.....sigh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone rear-end my car, now the new bumper color mismatch