GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Brakes still squeaking heavily

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 08:23 AM
Logic83
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes still squeaking heavily

Hey all. I've asked about this before and was told to try bedding the break pads. My 16 GSF with 4k miles still has squecking breaks after following this guide several times. Sometimes when I break heavily several times on purpose, they will not squeak for a short time (hours).

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6443

There is a thread that mentioned a TSB out but I can't find the actual bulletin. Anything else I can do? Very embarrassing to pull up somewhere in a GSF and slowing down to find out it sounds like a school bus.
Old 12-18-16, 02:11 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you taken it to Lexus? None of my cars have ever been that bad.
Old 12-18-16, 02:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

L-SB-0013-16. You'll get pads that squeak less, but will not be as track capable as the OEM pads. For street duty, I really doubt you'll notice a difference. They're likely to dust less too.

I am not impressed with the pad compound the factory chose for the GSF. I like my Project Mu HC+800 much, much better. But they are definitely not quiet.
The following users liked this post:
Logic83 (12-18-16)
Old 12-18-16, 08:01 PM
Logic83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
L-SB-0013-16. You'll get pads that squeak less, but will not be as track capable as the OEM pads. For street duty, I really doubt you'll notice a difference. They're likely to dust less too.

I am not impressed with the pad compound the factory chose for the GSF. I like my Project Mu HC+800 much, much better. But they are definitely not quiet.
Where can I find and print this builtin to show the dealer and have my pads replaced?
Old 12-18-16, 09:25 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i got the new pads from lexus put in . no more noise at all. brakes well like before daily driving. i can't speak on braking at the limit though.
Old 12-20-16, 10:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Logic83
Where can I find and print this builtin to show the dealer and have my pads replaced?
You would have to subscribe to TIS. I have a subscription, that's how I found it.
Old 01-16-17, 08:05 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

2016 GS F. Here is my experience with squeaking brakes. After about 9K miles I noticed a high pitched brake noise when braking with driver window down (couldn't hear it with window up, but then again I have tinnitus). It steadily got worse and I brought to dealer for evaluation around 10K mileage. They offered the replacement pads that others have talked about but I elected to stay with the factory ones for now. Then a strange thing happened. I finally was able to do a good wash job in the winter in Oklahoma and the brake noise was gone. Then I realized, before the winter months set in I was washing my car every week or two. That interval increased during the colder months of November and December. It appears with more frequent washing the brake dust was washed off and the noise went away. Hmmmm? Not a scientific evaluation but this is what I have experienced so far. I'll see if it comes back after a couple weeks of not washing.
Old 01-16-17, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you are washing inside the wheels and the discs are getting wet, they corrode a bit. The iron oxide gets swept off the surface by the pad, but provides a slightly rougher surface which seems to help transfer.

Honestly, the biggest problem is the brakes are extremely capable and very heat tolerant. It is very difficult to get enough heat into the pads with street driving, and the more high end the pad, the more this is a problem. Bedding the HC+800 is no fool's task on the street, and to really get good transfer, you need to block off the air ducts providing brake cooling.

Performance brakes don't mean the stop the car in a shorter distance. Performance brakes stop the car in the same distance over and over again. My first track day in the IS F, my instructor was amazed at how good the OEM brakes on the IS F are. The GS F has even better heat management - the rotors are thicker and are not hampered by the silly holes in the IS F rotors. They really could not have done us any better for the OEM setup. It just needs some serious exercise to remain quiet.

Yes, mine squeaks from time to time. IMHO, it's minor compared to what I have experienced with full track pads.
Old 01-18-17, 11:49 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

If you are washing inside the wheels and the discs are getting wet, they corrode a bit. The iron oxide gets swept off the surface by the pad, but provides a slightly rougher surface which seems to help transfer.

Honestly, the biggest problem is the brakes are extremely capable and very heat tolerant. It is very difficult to get enough heat into the pads with street driving, and the more high end the pad, the more this is a problem. Bedding the HC+800 is no fool's task on the street, and to really get good transfer, you need to block off the air ducts providing brake cooling.

Performance brakes don't mean the stop the car in a shorter distance. Performance brakes stop the car in the same distance over and over again. My first track day in the IS F, my instructor was amazed at how good the OEM brakes on the IS F are. The GS F has even better heat management - the rotors are thicker and are not hampered by the silly holes in the IS F rotors. They really could not have done us any better for the OEM setup. It just needs some serious exercise to remain quiet.

Yes, mine squeaks from time to time. IMHO, it's minor compared to what I have experienced with full track pads.
This. More often than not the best way to quiet them down is to drive the car aggressively for a little and put some heat into the brakes.

We have an affordable solution coming for GS F owners who don't want to have to continuously re-bed the brakes to keep the noise down on the street but we are still a few weeks out. Will announce more as we get closer.

-Matt M.
Old 01-19-17, 03:04 PM
Logic83
Driver School Candidate

This must be it. I wash my car ALOT. I Detail it once a week on average if the weather is nice. Foam bath, 2 bucket, wheel cleaners, wash, hybrid sprays, sometimes sealant and wax. I've noticed I haven't washed it in 2 weeks and brakes haven't been overly squeaky.