GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Owner Review - RC F vs GS F - Who wins?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 07:01 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The opening video clearly shows the ISF in D, not M. Pretty obvious they didn't go for broke in that comparison. I will be happy to argue the track performance. Look at the Lightning Lap numbers. No street legal Lexus F car has circulated VIR faster than the 2011 ISF with the exception of one LFA. Between the time the RCF and the ISF were run, they widened the track and removed the tree at Oak Tree which has made later editions of the LL cars faster. Even with this advantage, the RCF has failed to beat the ISF. No question about it.
Please watch video in full before commenting that the IS-F was ran in the drag race in AUTO. Watching just the gauges proves NOTHING. If you watched the whole video, the RC-F walked away from IS-F and the driver was PADDLE-SHIFTING. Regarding track performance, I don't magazine race. I know you do track your IS-F and your wife is some sort of a driving instructor. For the aforementioned reasons, you should know the merits of a pissing contest done on the internet and not on the track accomplish NOTHING.
Old 11-01-16, 08:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I did waste the time it took to watch it twice. And I fail to see the difference between a YouTube video and magazine racing. Pretty much the same if you ask me. Maybe you don't want to believe how important it is to Lexus to make the RCF the winner. Of course the guys making this video are unknown to all of us, so we don't know what motivations they have other than producing a video showing the RCF as the winner. I trust the Lightning Lap a whole lot more than just about anything else simply because everyone shows up in their Sunday best to impress the readers of Car and Driver. You can bet the ISF, RCF, and GSF were all prepped by Lexus to get the most out of the cars at VIR. Ferrari shows up with a whole team of mechanics and preps their cars for every run. So, we are seeing them all in their best light at the same track in "bone stock" form. Note the ISF beat a couple of M3s and a Cayman S surely to the chagrin of the BMW and Porsche fans of those platforms. This is about as fair a fight as you'll ever find. That's why I like it better than magazine "reviews" or comparos.

FWIW, yes, I track my F, but no, my wife is far from a driving instructor. She hates to drive period, and if I won the lottery, she'd never drive again if she didn't want to.

And Lou - yes, my wife is awesome. We are rapidly approaching 17 years together and it still feels like we just met. The time has flown by so quickly. So I am really happy she decided she wanted the GSF - something for her and something for me too. Now to just find a local RCF and shoot my own video...
Old 11-01-16, 09:20 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

I did waste the time it took to watch it twice. And I fail to see the difference between a YouTube video and magazine racing. Pretty much the same if you ask me. Maybe you don't want to believe how important it is to Lexus to make the RCF the winner. Of course the guys making this video are unknown to all of us, so we don't know what motivations they have other than producing a video showing the RCF as the winner. I trust the Lightning Lap a whole lot more than just about anything else simply because everyone shows up in their Sunday best to impress the readers of Car and Driver. You can bet the ISF, RCF, and GSF were all prepped by Lexus to get the most out of the cars at VIR. Ferrari shows up with a whole team of mechanics and preps their cars for every run. So, we are seeing them all in their best light at the same track in "bone stock" form. Note the ISF beat a couple of M3s and a Cayman S surely to the chagrin of the BMW and Porsche fans of those platforms. This is about as fair a fight as you'll ever find. That's why I like it better than magazine "reviews" or comparos.

FWIW, yes, I track my F, but no, my wife is far from a driving instructor. She hates to drive period, and if I won the lottery, she'd never drive again if she didn't want to.

And Lou - yes, my wife is awesome. We are rapidly approaching 17 years together and it still feels like we just met. The time has flown by so quickly. So I am really happy she decided she wanted the GSF - something for her and something for me too. Now to just find a local RCF and shoot my own video...
My bad about your wife.
Anyways, the people who made this video are the same people who raced a GS-F against the M3 completion package ( see video below) where the F lost badly to the M. And if you subscribe to their YouTube channel, you will see that they feature a variety of brands. So, THEY DO NOT HAVE A HORSE in this race if that is what you are implying. Since you don't see the difference between REAL LIFE videos and magazine comparos, and believe staged/prepped performance magazine racing, let's just agree to disagree. I'd rather debate more important things in life.

Old 11-01-16, 09:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

We can agree to disagree if you like, but are these guys buying these cars?

Wait - here it is, directly from their about page on You Tube: For Sponsorships or Endorsements contact us at: info@auto-top.nl

So it appears they are no different than the magazines running test mules, not their own cars. A BMW beating a Lexus is no indication of impartiality.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-01-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 09:43 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

We can agree to disagree if you like, but are these guys buying these cars?

Wait - here it is, directly from their about page on You Tube: For Sponsorships or Endorsements contact us at: info@auto-top.nl

So it appears they are no different than the magazines running test mules, not their own cars. A BMW beating a Lexus is no indication of impartiality.
Yeah, does it make sense for anybody to pay these guys to feature a video where the RC-F wins over the IS-F and GS-F? Common sense dictates that I ask this. And to make it clear, I did not hire or bribe them to feature the RC-F as the all conquering car... This is the my last word on this. Good night.
Old 11-01-16, 10:00 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Even if one doesn't want to belive in magazine numbers or YouTube videos, one just has to look at track slips posted by our own forum members to see that both cars run near identical numbers. But I guess we'll all have to agree to disagree.

Getting back on topic, after driving both back to back at the track I can really understand the praise that the GSF as well as the criticism the RCF have received. The GSF and IS350 are both a rewarding experience. They feel tight, composed and hide their weight well, specially the GSF. They are both easy to drive and confidence inspiring.
Old 11-04-16, 03:57 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

.5 of a second who cares they are all great cars, but i own the ISF so it wins LOL.
Old 11-06-16, 07:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

.5 second is at least 5 car lengths in the real world. That's PER LAP. I'd call it a trouncing.
Old 11-07-16, 04:37 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

great write up!!
Old 11-14-16, 06:02 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

This is a great post!. I don't know which car I would choose. If I were rich I would own both in Ultrasonic Blue, along with a 2014 IS-F.
Old 11-29-16, 08:03 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

drove the GSF today. very neutral handling sedan. it felt like i was right back in the IS-F with better interior. only thing i don't like was joystick and felt kind of gutless compared to the RCF but the lightness feel was something i wasn't expecting. huge car that feels lighter than i though it would. the light and direct steering was great.

Not too fond out the the rear of that car but its not a bad buy if you can get this car 55k out of the door. it feels like honda civic in terms of speed compared to the m5 i drove.

When I'm driving in the RCF , it feels like it is something special. something you can keep for a long time and have a classic. i did not feel the same way with the GSF. its a cool car but i think needs wider fenders or something to make it a bit more special.
Old 11-30-16, 01:32 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
When I'm driving in the RCF , it feels like it is something special. something you can keep for a long time and have a classic. i did not feel the same way with the GSF. its a cool car but i think needs wider fenders or something to make it a bit more special.
Yeah the GSF missed some styling opportunities on the rear, and probably the hood too, which should be bumped or scooped like the RCF. Although the RCF is a pig compared to the GSF on the scales thanks to the frankenstein chassis. I think we're just seeing the beginning of performance on these models. If the RCF survives another generation of sales and they both go turbo 6, things will get really interesting.
Old 12-08-16, 10:44 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Yeah the GSF missed some styling opportunities on the rear, and probably the hood too, which should be bumped or scooped like the RCF. Although the RCF is a pig compared to the GSF on the scales thanks to the frankenstein chassis. I think we're just seeing the beginning of performance on these models. If the RCF survives another generation of sales and they both go turbo 6, things will get really interesting.
I agree the GS F has missed the boat in some regards to its styling, particularly from mid car on back. I like the front end of the car, and the tail lights are nice looking, but the rear is just too plain IMO. I think the Tom's rear diffuser helps greatly on this. The Novel rear looks great too.

One thing though, the GSF does weigh more than the RCF with the GS tipping the scales at 4034 lbs vs 3958 for the RC.
Old 12-08-16, 12:35 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
One thing though, the GSF does weigh more than the RCF with the GS tipping the scales at 4034 lbs vs 3958 for the RC.
FYI, the 3,958 lbs curb weight refers to a RC-F equipped with a Torsen differential. IIRC, the TCD adds an additional 70 lbs to the RC-F's curb weight and the carbon package would help reduce approximately 12 pounds from the overall weight. The GS-F comes standard with a TCD.

When doing an apples-to-apples comparison on the curb weight of the GS-F (4,034lbs) to a RC-F equipped with a TCD (4,0XXish lbs), the weight of both vehicles would be very close.
Old 12-08-16, 12:46 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
FYI, the 3,958 lbs curb weight refers to a RC-F equipped with a Torsen differential. IIRC, the TCD adds an additional 70 lbs to the RC-F's curb weight and the carbon package would help reduce approximately 12 pounds from the overall weight. The GS-F comes standard with a TCD.

When doing an apples-to-apples comparison on the curb weight of the GS-F (4,034lbs) to a RC-F equipped with a TCD (4,0XXish lbs), the weight of both vehicles would be very close.
Good points for sure, yes the TVD on the RCF adds between 60-70 lbs or so if I remember right. So they are more likely more similar in weight then, but the RC F is not much heavier than the GSF, that was the point I wanted to convey. Thanks for the great input and info though.

Quick Reply: Owner Review - RC F vs GS F - Who wins?