GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 02:14 AM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I can tell you one thing about the RC's seat coolers: they don't blow half as hard as the GS's do. Not sure if it's a different seat that has to be fitted with smaller fans or what, but I had an RC loaner last summer and the seat coolers felt like cat breath. Was glad to get back in my GS for the real "package cooler" effect.\

Also to clarify my "taking a bath" statement about the RCF, they were dead on the lot at many dealers because they were fully loaded or close to it with 80k+ stickers. I've seen dealers knock 12k or more off that price to get them off the lot. So, that msrp really took a bath, and anyone that was a day one buyer that paid anywhere near sticker lost their *** in the deal. I guess that's just how it works with unproven new models particularly in the performance arena. What the manufacturer wants and what the public thinks it's worth don't always match up. I swear at the RCF debut I went to at my dealer, the Molten Pearl RCF they were showing was stickered at 68k or something and I thought, that's reasonable. Must not have had the PP on it.

Interesting theory. I remember hearing that the LS430 could be optioned with heated/cooled seats, but it was different than today's system. That it ran coolant pipes across the fans. I was told that by someone from Arizona years ago.

I'm not particularly interested in the RCF. The GSF is what I've got my eye on, but if they don't sell as well as Lexus thought they would, what are the chances of it getting knocked down $20k just to move units on lots? Maybe I'm just dreaming here, man. Thanks for the clarification though, it's appreciated.

I drove a GS350 F-Sport several years back. It was owned by a friend, and I fell in love with how the car handled. At the three nearest dealers to me, there were very few RCFs let alone RC350 and lower. I take it that the RC class isn't mass produced to the effect of say the IS class?

Like I said the other day, I was intent on leasing the M4 but after I test drove the Lexus cars and read the threads on here, I decided the Lexus would be the smarter choice. I could even finance it and it wouldn't take a depreciation hit like the M4. I'm gonna admit I had forgotten just how smooth Lexus was. Felt like I was driving a cloud, even when the salesmen moved the mode **** to Sport+.

Prior to checking the cars, I did look on craigslist for a late model ISF but dang the used prices were high. Even looked into getting an LS430 because I always wanted one, but the selection is slim pickings. And what looks super fantastic has at least 130k miles on the clock. yikes.

Last edited by Logitech; 05-29-16 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 04:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Some ls430s like my ultra have a Peltier cooler for the rear seats but believe it uses traditional ac method for front. Suggest heading over to the 3rd gen LS forum to learn more about them.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-29-16 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 03:22 PM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Some ls430s like my ultra have a Peltier cooler for the rear seats but believe it uses traditional ac method for front. Suggest heading over to the 3rd gen LS forum to learn more about them.

Oh wow. I've never seen it applied outside of industrial use. Thanks for the heads up. I saw a few LS430s with pristine interior, good paint and flawless records, under 90K miles. Unfortunately the owners wouldn't budge from the asking price, which is understandable because the LS cars are sought after especially in great condition.

Isn't the GS and IS due for a refresh for MY2017 though?
Old 05-29-16, 04:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidL
I own a 2013 GS350 F-Sport and a GSF. I use the GSF as a daily driver in SoCal and the ride is not too harsh IMO. Getting back into the F-sport besides the power differential/sound, the seats are the one thing I miss from the GSF.
David, I know the GS F owner % is low here on CL.

But have you or anyone else run into the missing spare tire problem..??

Same problem as RC F's.

Tire Inflation Kit

TVD ECU - Location

Joe Z
Old 05-29-16, 08:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RayKnight
When i got mine in September, 36 mo 12k residual was 68% and money factor was really good too. I was happy! Plus i paid 500 below invoice and buy rate. The M5 residual was not good nor was the rate in december 2012. I paid invoice for that one but had to put a ton down to get a good payment.
This is complete BS about M3 pricing.

I ordered my car in October 2015 and was monitoring lease prices well in advance.
M3 with 10k miles was 61% residual for 36 months at that time and pricing stayed the same until end of 2015!
Jan/Feb it was worse....it was NEVER 68%.

May 2016 #s - All 3 series including M
36mo,
MF .00138
15k 60%
12k 62%
10k 63%

Also M3s are not produced in the same #s as M4s and dealers have almost no available allocation therefore getting the car even close to invoice would be a miracle.
Old 05-31-16, 12:58 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the RCF and GSF are great cars but a bit highly priced. But the main problem is that more people like myself who can afford a $80k car price also has a family to haul around so a crossover vehicle would be on my radar even though i can afford a GSF its not practical. When i was single and in college i coulnt afford a 2 door coupe but desired one. So i bought used sports cars back them. Crossovers are selling like hotcakes now. 10 year ago i would have never considered a crossover but now i am attracted to them because of the utility it offers.
Old 06-01-16, 10:33 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Logitech
Thanks for the info, guys. Ray, if you don't mind me asking, how's the eco mode on the GSF? Do you find it useful to use on cold mornings? How's the mpg in general with normal driving? I think worst case if the price doesn't get knocked down despite them not selling as well as they thought it would, I may end up financing a pre-owned. One Lexus dealer has a 2015 GS350 with 22K miles going for $35,000ish, which seems like a great deal.
From my findings, the eco mode makes no difference in MPG. I drive in normal mode mostly and occasionally flip to sport mode. I have been averaging 19.6 MPG. Mostly country roads 45-50mph with lots of hills. My M5 averaged 10.8 MPG in the same conditions so the 19.6 is pretty impressive to me! About the same as my M3.
Old 06-01-16, 10:37 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I can tell you one thing about the RC's seat coolers: they don't blow half as hard as the GS's do. Not sure if it's a different seat that has to be fitted with smaller fans or what, but I had an RC loaner last summer and the seat coolers felt like cat breath. Was glad to get back in my GS for the real "package cooler" effect.\

Also to clarify my "taking a bath" statement about the RCF, they were dead on the lot at many dealers because they were fully loaded or close to it with 80k+ stickers. I've seen dealers knock 12k or more off that price to get them off the lot. So, that msrp really took a bath, and anyone that was a day one buyer that paid anywhere near sticker lost their *** in the deal. I guess that's just how it works with unproven new models particularly in the performance arena. What the manufacturer wants and what the public thinks it's worth don't always match up. I swear at the RCF debut I went to at my dealer, the Molten Pearl RCF they were showing was stickered at 68k or something and I thought, that's reasonable. Must not have had the PP on it.
Man my seat coolers are worthless. I feel nothing with them on. My Ford Raptor blows actual AC out of the seats. I'm used to them actually getting cold. The GSF seats just barely blow some cabin air through. Have to be naked to even notice it probably.
Old 06-01-16, 10:42 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I ordered my car in October 2015 and was monitoring lease prices well in advance.
M3 with 10k miles was 61% residual for 36 months at that time and pricing stayed the same until end of 2015!

36mo,
MF .00138
15k 60%
12k 62%
10k 63%

Also M3s are not produced in the same #s as M4s and dealers have almost no available allocation therefore getting the car even close to invoice would be a miracle.
68%. 3 years 12k. I'll dig out my contract and see exactly when i picked it up. I don't recall the month off hand as we also got a few other cars last year. Also i got the $1000 bonus cash on 3 series i remember. The M3 residual was a lot better than the base 3 series.
Old 06-01-16, 10:53 AM
RayKnight
Driver

68%. 3 years 12k. I'll dig out my contract and see exactly when i picked it up. I don't recall the month off hand as we also got a few other cars last year. Also i got the $1000 bonus cash on 3 series i remember. The M3 residual was a lot better than the base 3 series.
Found my order sheet from March 28th, 2015. I recall it took about 3 months to come in so must have been late June.
Old 06-01-16, 03:07 PM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the mpg info, Ray. I appreciate it. I have no idea what Ohio roads are like but thought they were flat and boring. About 20 mpg isn't bad at all, but I don't think one could expect more given its weight. I think the LS460 gets roughly the same combined.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I think the RCF and GSF are great cars but a bit highly priced. But the main problem is that more people like myself who can afford a $80k car price also has a family to haul around so a crossover vehicle would be on my radar even though i can afford a GSF its not practical. When i was single and in college i coulnt afford a 2 door coupe but desired one. So i bought used sports cars back them. Crossovers are selling like hotcakes now. 10 year ago i would have never considered a crossover but now i am attracted to them because of the utility it offers.
I can understand that. Crossovers are for practical reasons a sleeker wagon. The issue with the GSF is like you said it's incredibly expensive for what it is. If it were lighter and faster, I wouldn't mind paying. I may end up getting someone's PO model or negotiating 10-15k off to get it.
Old 06-02-16, 12:26 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

36mo,
MF .00138
15k 60%
12k 62%
10k 63%

Mine is a 2015. Picked up in June 2015. Residual is 64%. Not 68%. My mistake. I got $1000 credit and paid $500 below invoice. I worked for the dealer for 11 years and as a sales manage there for 6 years and i know everyone there personally. I've also bought 4 BMWs there since 2012. Its not hard to get a good deal when your friends are the sales manager and the GM. They let me into Reynolds and show me exactly the holdback, finance reserve, etc. I ordered the car custom. Not off the lot. Call all the BS you want. I'll enjoy my cars. 2016 model residual looks like its lower than it was when I got mine.
Old 06-02-16, 12:31 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by Logitech
Thanks for the mpg info, Ray. I appreciate it. I have no idea what Ohio roads are like but thought they were flat and boring. About 20 mpg isn't bad at all, but I don't think one could expect more given its weight. I think the LS460 gets roughly the same combined.

I can understand that. Crossovers are for practical reasons a sleeker wagon. The issue with the GSF is like you said it's incredibly expensive for what it is. If it were lighter and faster, I wouldn't mind paying. I may end up getting someone's PO model or negotiating 10-15k off to get it.
NW Ohio roads are flat and boring. NE Ohio roads have lots of hills and twistys! Mostly 2 lane 45-55mph. I only drive highways about once every 2 weeks or so. Most things are within a 5 mile drive. Just far enough to warm the engine. Checked the M3 today and avg has been 18.4mpg. I drive that one a lot harder though.
Old 06-02-16, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Mine is a 2015. Picked up in June 2015. Residual is 64%. Not 68%. My mistake. I got $1000 credit and paid $500 below invoice. I worked for the dealer for 11 years and as a sales manage there for 6 years and i know everyone there personally. I've also bought 4 BMWs there since 2012. Its not hard to get a good deal when your friends are the sales manager and the GM. They let me into Reynolds and show me exactly the holdback, finance reserve, etc. I ordered the car custom. Not off the lot. Call all the BS you want. I'll enjoy my cars. 2016 model residual looks like its lower than it was when I got mine.
ok now you took my hope away
Old 06-04-16, 09:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

64% and 68% are a HUGE difference when it comes to residual!

You also got great pricing off MSRP as a previous employee which you didn't include in your original post. Now at least it makes sense.