GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 10:00 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Do you plan to switch the brake pads out like some of the RCF guys? Mine are straight banshees when you are gentle on them, but hard braking is not so much. I augmented my audio with a Kicker L7 so I can't hear them(brakes) most of the time. I had some issue with the audio since it sounded a lot different from my last GS 350 F and I tossed it up to the acoustic change in the car and the amp. The sound is crisp and thumping at select volumes but adjustments on the console did not do the trick for me.

Last edited by JayRo354; 04-23-16 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 10:19 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRo354
Nice. Do you plan to switch the brake pads out like some of the RCF guys? Mine are straight banshees when you are gentle on them, but hard braking is not so much. I augmented my audio with a Kicker L7 so I can't hear them(brakes) most of the time. I had some issue with the audio since it sounded a lot different from my last GS 350 F and I tossed it up to the acoustic change in the car and the amp. The sound is crisp and thumping at select volumes but adjustments on the console did not do the trick for me.
My brakes are silent. Very strong too. I like the sound system as is. No extra sub needed. I am 37 years old. I'd embarrass myself driving around with booming bass and rear plate rattling. Lol. No way. Sound level above 20 i think its awesome. I usually listen around in the 30-40 volume range.
Old 04-23-16, 10:33 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. I can't go that high. I might lose my hearing in both ears. Surprisingly enough the acoustics is not heard that much outside of the car until you roll the windows down; then the rest of the world knows what tunes you are listening to. The gas cap and plate rattle is minimal if any from what I've found at moderate volumes. My brakes were silent initially. After the initial shedding of brake dust the banshees showed up. it was expected. it is in the fine print in the brochure. I also got both mats, although the all weather mat is actually the one for the GS 350. Have you had a chance to slalom with the TVD on yet? What are your impressions of it on your GSF?
Old 04-24-16, 03:40 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

so youre saying basically the bmws are not daily drivers yet GSF is?
i see lots of people here driving bmw M's in winter here in philly. Should not be an issue if dry pavement.
What do you mean by too stiff? They are not body on frame suvs which ARE stiff, and frankly cars should have a frame for stiffness but it would add tons of weight.

as you can see, most of the gripes against the GSF are underpowered v8 and technology which has been mentioned numerous times. But also is the styling is bland compared to bmw and price is not right (too high). Yes its reliable b/c its a lexus and thats unfortunately its strongest point.
I would rather just get the GS-F sport if daily driver driving was what i was looking for.
Lexus could of did a better job seeing what audi and bmw have done. Lexus has lots of catching up to do here.
Old 04-24-16, 06:12 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats and good write-up and thanks for taking the time.

I am going to purchase a GSF but am on the fence about purchasing the GSF at this moment and it is only because of price - meaning what happened with the pricing on the first year RCF's as year-end discounts were extremely aggressive. As a former M3 and 7 Series owner, I also fully agree with your assessment of what you get for the price and when looking at it that way, the price is fair but if waiting a few more months will gain an 8-12% discount, it is hard to no wait it out being I am in no rush. i.e. lease expiring.

Again, thanks for sharing and congrats on the new purchase.
Old 04-24-16, 06:41 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by T4Fun
so youre saying basically the bmws are not daily drivers yet GSF is?
i see lots of people here driving bmw M's in winter here in philly. Should not be an issue if dry pavement.
What do you mean by too stiff? They are not body on frame suvs which ARE stiff, and frankly cars should have a frame for stiffness but it would add tons of weight.

as you can see, most of the gripes against the GSF are underpowered v8 and technology which has been mentioned numerous times. But also is the styling is bland compared to bmw and price is not right (too high). Yes its reliable b/c its a lexus and thats unfortunately its strongest point.
I would rather just get the GS-F sport if daily driver driving was what i was looking for.
Lexus could of did a better job seeing what audi and bmw have done. Lexus has lots of catching up to do here.
"Normal" BMWs are fine daily drivers. I loved my X5s. The M cars are a little more hairy! I love them dearly don't get me wrong but take a long trip in one with family and you may get what i mean a little better. The GSF does this job better. It feels more like the normal higher range BMWs in terms of comfort and ride quality but it has some great power on tap when you want it. Its just not always in your face like the Turbo M cars. Its hard to drive M cars politely in other words! Lol. They are raging monsters right off idle. They hate to be in standard driving mode. The GSF does not beg for sport+ mode all the time. Its just a more relaxed car to drive. As i said before, the GSF is comparable with the 550i M sport more so than the M5. And i think it beats it at a lower cost as well. 550i M sport with comparable options cost more than the GSF. As a "toy car" I would go BMW M no question. As a daily driver GSF wins for me even over the M5.

Last edited by RayKnight; 04-24-16 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-24-16, 06:43 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by mr2dave
Congrats and good write-up and thanks for taking the time.

I am going to purchase a GSF but am on the fence about purchasing the GSF at this moment and it is only because of price - meaning what happened with the pricing on the first year RCF's as year-end discounts were extremely aggressive. As a former M3 and 7 Series owner, I also fully agree with your assessment of what you get for the price and when looking at it that way, the price is fair but if waiting a few more months will gain an 8-12% discount, it is hard to no wait it out being I am in no rush. i.e. lease expiring.

Again, thanks for sharing and congrats on the new purchase.
It does not really bother me. Dealers are offering $3000-$5500 off generally and i think thats fair enough. These things are not marked up that much really. I think its a great price for what you get. Its NOT just a GS350 with a bigger motor.
Old 04-24-16, 06:46 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by JayRo354
LOL. I can't go that high. I might lose my hearing in both ears. Surprisingly enough the acoustics is not heard that much outside of the car until you roll the windows down; then the rest of the world knows what tunes you are listening to. The gas cap and plate rattle is minimal if any from what I've found at moderate volumes. My brakes were silent initially. After the initial shedding of brake dust the banshees showed up. it was expected. it is in the fine print in the brochure. I also got both mats, although the all weather mat is actually the one for the GS 350. Have you had a chance to slalom with the TVD on yet? What are your impressions of it on your GSF?
I will keep an ear out for the noise! I did play with the TVD and its impressive. Feels almost like rear wheel steering when you hit a corner hard. But not like fishtailing.
Old 04-24-16, 09:25 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RayKnight
"Normal" BMWs are fine daily drivers. I loved my X5s. The M cars are a little more hairy! I love them dearly don't get me wrong but take a long trip in one with family and you may get what i mean a little better. The GSF does this job better. It feels more like the normal higher range BMWs in terms of comfort and ride quality but it has some great power on tap when you want it. Its just not always in your face like the Turbo M cars. Its hard to drive M cars politely in other words! Lol. They are raging monsters right off idle. They hate to be in standard driving mode. The GSF does not beg for sport+ mode all the time. Its just a more relaxed car to drive. As i said before, the GSF is comparable with the 550i M sport more so than the M5. And i think it beats it at a lower cost as well. 550i M sport with comparable options cost more than the GSF. As a "toy car" I would go BMW M no question. As a daily driver GSF wins for me even over the M5.
While I've never driven an M car, I've driven the last gen CTS-V and the same can be said. There's no middle ground. It's either you're in park or you're saying oh *****. I drove the RC-F and it was such a different experience. It felt familiar, welcoming. I felt like the CTS-V was trying to chew and spit me out lol. The Caddy is a hooligan but I don't think I would want to daily it.
Old 04-24-16, 11:22 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
While I've never driven an M car, I've driven the last gen CTS-V and the same can be said. There's no middle ground. It's either you're in park or you're saying oh *****. I drove the RC-F and it was such a different experience. It felt familiar, welcoming. I felt like the CTS-V was trying to chew and spit me out lol. The Caddy is a hooligan but I don't think I would want to daily it.
Thats exactly how the M5 is. If you are not bouncing off the limiter and smoking tires at 100mph all the time, it seems like you would ratger be driving a different car. Normal mode in M5 feels like wearing a straightjacket. Lol. You just want to tear it off and go nuts.
Old 04-24-16, 04:51 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Great review!
Old 04-26-16, 05:27 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Neither really have any noticeable body roll. Both corner very well. The M3 is more lively but the GSF can sure hold its own. I have all options on the M3 except DCT. I have the adaptive suspension. Its great. But really, while these cars are similar on paper, they are VERY different. M3 is WILD, angry, evil, GSF is smooth, luxurious, and has an absolutely wicked sounding and very hard pulling V8 when you want it. The M3 is always angry and violent. Its like an axe murderer (M3) vs a professional hitman in a black suit (GSF)

The Sakhir orange is very slightly brighter, more saturated and slightly more orange but hard to tell even side by side. Both are a nice bright red.
Get a full exhaust system on the GS-F then it will be angry all the time
Old 04-26-16, 07:22 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Get a full exhaust system on the GS-F then it will be angry all the time
Nope. Keeping it stock. Angry is what my M3 is for!
Old 04-26-16, 10:21 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

After driving it a few days, I can say the navigation, voice command, audio UI, HUD, seat adjustments and climate control are all light years behind BMW's systems in features, ease of use and speed of response. These things are bothering me. Passenger side heated seat is not working.

Otherwise - it drives awesome! Super comfortable and great to cruise in. Just all electronic functions are painfully slow and hard to use while driving.
....and that is one of the reasons why i will take a Japanese car over a BMW any day! Not to mention that the quality of interior and ride are much better too. But too each his own
Old 04-26-16, 12:48 PM
BKGSF
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase!

I too come from owning the F80 M3, and had exactly the same impression as you did. M3 is a great car when going fast on a smooth surface but as a daily, was too bumpy and nervous on normal crappy roads. GS F is much better daily while retaining all the fun and refinement. Have fun with the GS F and what a combo!

Quick Reply: Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)