GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model
View Poll Results: are you disappointed with the GSF?
Yes
44.57%
No
55.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Are you disappointed with the GSF? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 01:24 PM
dart22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What really disappoints in the GSF is not only the price. It's actually the lack of effort in catching up with the competition!
specifically I mean:
Sub-bar power and torque (recycling an almost 10 year old engine)
No performance transmission such as a DCT, MB, Audi, BMW all use it!
No adjustable suspension damping to suite various driving styles (the lesser GS350 F-sport has it)
No performance steering such as variable ratio system (the lesser GS350 F-sport has it)
while i like the refinement and the overall quality of the platform (I owned both a 2013 GS350 and a 2014 GS350 F-sport) I'm disappointed in Lexus shorting us with the total ingredients that this class requires!

Last edited by dart22; 05-23-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 12:46 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PMan
The M3 and the GS F are in different classes in terms of size and intended market, so I would say its a good comparison. It should start in the 70K range based on the size, power, and features it has compared to competitors with similar size, power, and features. The M3 is in a smaller class and much lighter. Not to mention a base M3 doesn't come with a whole lot of stuff in base form. In a nutshell its not the car to compare it to. Lets not forget that the new M3 would undoubtedly destroy the GS F on road or track, straight line or twisty...all while being way cheaper The M3 may not feel as special, but is anyone really going to say "well the GS F feels more refined and special" after getting their rear end handed to them on the highway (or track)?

Which version of the 550 did you drive? The M sport ones are pretty good and with the active suspension are even better in my opinion. The GS F is a bit better in terms of handling, but not enough to justify to extra price.

I agree with ssmoked, the GS F doesn't offer anything over the RC F other than more space and that doesn't justify the price. Along those lines the fact that the F line is supposed to be a competitor to M, S, V, and AMG, yet falls short of all them in terms of performance and has to be compared with standard models says a lot.
I'm not a race car driver, I don't drive on the "track"; I drive on the public roads. With that in mind, I would buy my GS-F again over any BMW or Mercedes, or Audi. Reliability is important unless you are going to trade in that BMW, Mercedes or Audi before 60-80K miles. I like the styling of those other three and would consider them seriously if their reliability scores came up considerably. I've seen BMW and Mercedes owners step away after they get some serious miles on them because of reliability issues. My son got rid of his Audi because of high maintenance costs. I'm not an expert, just a casual observer and Lexus owner for 15 years now.
Old 06-04-16, 04:54 PM
trilogy069
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddmavis
I'm not a race car driver, I don't drive on the "track"; I drive on the public roads. With that in mind, I would buy my GS-F again over any BMW or Mercedes, or Audi. Reliability is important unless you are going to trade in that BMW, Mercedes or Audi before 60-80K miles. I like the styling of those other three and would consider them seriously if their reliability scores came up considerably. I've seen BMW and Mercedes owners step away after they get some serious miles on them because of reliability issues. My son got rid of his Audi because of high maintenance costs. I'm not an expert, just a casual observer and Lexus owner for 15 years now.
Well said. When will they get it? If you like the Specs in the BMW Audi Benz then just buy those cars. Just make sure you have enough for
maintenance costs etc. Lexus is not trying to be better than those cars.
Old 06-05-16, 05:04 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trilogy069
. Lexus is not trying to be better than those cars.
This is painfully apparent
Old 06-06-16, 02:19 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me: mid 30s single making just bit over 100. I don't go to the track so I don't really care about the " balance" or misunderstanding part per the previous poster. When I spent that kind of money on. GSF I don't expect to get pull on by its German rival for less.

Same mistake Toyota made for the frs/86. How many people actually go to the track to unleash the cornering capability. It will always be an underwhelming car in the segment. No torque no power for daily driving which is 99% of buyers.
Old 06-07-16, 02:59 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross3857
When I spent that kind of money on. GSF I don't expect to get pull on by its German rival for less.
That's a great point.
Old 06-25-16, 02:35 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps Lexus doesn't try anymore to keep up with the Germans. Why should they? They are selling enough cars to support slow selling models which are halo models anyhow, rubbing off LFA looks and dash, and very successfully too. Maybe most Lexus owners might either is not as demanding, or is looking for a more reliable version of the previous generation German car. And they don't care about the numbers, nor the latest advancement in technology.

It's possible they never considered they might loose loyal aspirational customers, even hybrid customers; soon the Europeans will ace that too.
Old 06-27-16, 07:35 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I drove a GSF around for half a day. I liked the car. I loved the interior, fit and finish and handling of the long wheel base. If the price drops around December, I'll pick one up. The price is the only show stopper for me.
Old 06-28-16, 05:39 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The price is holding alot of buyers back, and I suspect the RCF isn't doing as well as they'd hoped either. GSF is limited production with only 2k scheduled worldwide, but sticker shock is hard to overcome and dealers are letting cars die on the vine because I imagine corporate won't let them take much off the sticker. Yet.

Lexus is trying to get younger buyers into the brand with the cheaper IS200t and GS200t but they are kind of missing the point. The RCF and GSF need to be priced better than competitors (way better) to lure people in their 30's and 40's to their performance brand. The styling is getting there, the electronics are kinda dated (but reliable and function well) but without stunning lease deals, you won't see them running around. I don't know about you guys, but seeing more of something on the street gets me more interested than any commercial or Youtube ad.

Cadillac, BMW and Mercedes have Lexus beat on many fronts, but Lexus still holds the quality card, for good reason. What Lexus needs to do is come in at a lower price point and start offering up halo editions of those same cars. The way they see it, I imagine they're thinking GS200t, GS350, GSF. But there is breathing room between the GS350 and GSF for an interim model...a turbo 6 would slot in very nicely and put the GSF on top of the heap as the halo until the newer L cars (LC500 etc.) debut. The old reliable V8 in the GSF is just a supercharger away from being serious competition for Cadillac and others.

As far as sales go, their bread and butter are the ES and the RX series. They can afford to take chances on the F platform as long as their SUV's are raking in the cash. But maybe, just maybe, the engineering combo car from the Toyota and BMW partnership is waiting in the wings and getting ready to drop the curtain with a Lexus badge attached. One can dream.
Old 06-28-16, 07:20 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
The way they see it, I imagine they're thinking GS200t, GS350, GSF. But there is breathing room between the GS350 and GSF for an interim model...a turbo 6 would slot in very nicely and put the GSF on top of the heap as the halo until the newer L cars (LC500 etc.) debut.
That's wishful thinking. In order to do that, Lexus needs a turbo 6 first in its part bin. If Lexus is too lazy to create a new engine for the over hyped lc500 (10 yr old engine from isf), what makes you think they will go out of their way to create something just for interim model?
Old 06-28-16, 07:20 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Cadillac, BMW and Mercedes have Lexus beat on many fronts, but Lexus still holds the quality card, for good reason. What Lexus needs to do is come in at a lower price point and start offering up halo editions of those same cars. The way they see it, I imagine they're thinking GS200t, GS350, GSF. But there is breathing room between the GS350 and GSF for an interim model...a turbo 6 would slot in very nicely and put the GSF on top of the heap as the halo until the newer L cars (LC500 etc.) debut. The old reliable V8 in the GSF is just a supercharger away from being serious competition for Cadillac and others.
I'm really hoping now that Lexus has a few turbo models that the higher end will be next. If they had another 100hp with a turbo in the GS F it will be more appealing at that price.
Old 06-29-16, 10:51 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

with an extra 100hp turbo engine, would you really expect the price point to stay the same??

just read alot about the GSF being compared to the M5 (with the extra 100hp) but that "starts at " $94k, when one is built with similar options its goes over $105k.

The GSF is over priced at $88k fully loaded???
Old 06-29-16, 11:25 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

When a buyer is in the market and able to afford a six figure sedan, they want the best, most powerful and fastest on paper and road. At that point, 10-20k more doesn't really make a difference to them. That's why the GSF is not selling
Old 06-29-16, 11:40 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I see your point.

However the prices are dropping through negotiations... I have read about a few members getting theirs in mid 70s. Which mine was as well. At that point that gap is much larger.
Old 06-29-16, 03:09 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
When a buyer is in the market and able to afford a six figure sedan, they want the best, most powerful and fastest on paper and road. At that point, 10-20k more doesn't really make a difference to them. That's why the GSF is not selling
Nailed it. I just bought an M5 after being so disappointed with the GSF. If the GSF had 575HP and drove like an M5, I wouldn't care if it cost an extra $20k.

Quick Reply: Are you disappointed with the GSF? Poll