Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 08:03 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Why Purchase GS-F or RC-F article and who does GS-F hope to target

This article pretty much sums it up.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/gs-f-...e-sedan-coupe/

Comparing the GS-F to competition in its class, it does feel nimble and responsive. That said, it still is not a sports coupe and you feel its size and weight which is entirely understandable. Definitely a compromise between an RC-F and AMG, RS/S or M sedan range in both price and performance. Not sure GS-F could ever really lure the driver that wants a true sports car and can live without 4 doors, but it presents a nice option for those that cannot live without 4 doors with a reasonable price point.

Intuitively it makes sense. The problem is Lexus wisdom may have misjudged the character traits of those buyers in this market segment (those purchasing high performance sedans new, not those purchasing used at heavy discounts). I know them all to well. This car needs 600 hp at its current price point to lure the segment that purchases these cars new. These buyers can typically afford the extra $$$ for the M6 Gran Coupe, Maserati, CLS AMG or RS7.

Not sure Lexus gets that buyers with the disposable income to plop down on a performance sedan are less value/price conscious and will pay the extra for both performance and prestige. Unfortunately, a GS-F without close to 600 hp and that is was less in price than its German counter parts won't lure these buyers. This segment is much more fickle, smaller and more demanding than the $70k sports car segment.

Anyway, a good read and makes fairly decent points, but at the end of the day very few coupe buyers will purchase a GS-F and the high end German sedan purchasers probably won't even be terrible tempted to test drive one to see what it is all about.
Old 01-19-16, 01:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm considering the RC F and GS F, but leaning towards the RC F and I would keep my IS AWD as my daily driver and winter "beater" . I like the Godzilla coupe look of the RC F, different rear vs the regular RC, and cool-factor of the active rear-wing over the GS F's more understated styling, fixed spoiler, and plain-looking rear (no added fender or bumper bulges compared to the regular GS). I do like the GS's added interior refinement and 5-seater though and in Canada, we get the rear HVAC, radio, and seat warmers at back.

Tough one!

PS. I'm not into track use for any of these cars and the appeal to me with both of these cars is owning possibly one of the last generation of N/A Lexus V8's in production.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-19-16 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 05:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am confused as to why there is no mention of the American options?

Chevy SS
Cadillac CTS-V
Cadillac ATS-V (This only gets placed here since the GS-F is a dog hp wise)
Charger SRT8
Charger SRT8 Hellcat

As I mentioned in another thread, these cars (with the exception of the CTS-V) all have a huge price point advantage for the buyer looking for a high hp sedan. All of those cars contain the highest trims of their respective brands. I don't wish to start a fire on this thread, but lets not ignore quality built sports cars.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-20-16 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 07:06 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I am confused as to why there is no mention of the American options?

Chevy SS
Cadillac CTS-V
Cadillac ATS-V (This only gets placed here since the GS-F is a dog hp wise)
Charger SRT8
Charger SRT8 Hellcat

As I mentioned in another thread, these cars (with the exception of the CTS-V) all have a huge price point advantage for the buyer looking for a high hp sedan. All of those cars contain the highest trims of their respective brands. I don't wish to start a fire on this thread, but lets not ignore quality built sports cars.
There's no mention on American options due to the fact that they're not considered direct competitors in their respected segments. With the exception of the Cadillac lineup all the other models you mentioned will never have the same build quality and refinement as the Lexus or its German rivals. Just go ask a dodge owner if they consider Lexus a competitor? They'll laugh in your in your face with all their horsepower capability. But with all that horsepower comes a sacrifice. American highest quality trim will never equal the same as foreign. Again, with the exception of the Cadillac perhaps being the closest. I think if you drop money on a Lexus you get a bit of everything, somethings you'd wish you had more of but unfortunately the brand isn't there at this point. My point is when you sit in a Lexus, you know it's a Lexus...it has the refinement and build quality that makes you feel awesome. The American brands are moving along in this segment as well but there will always be a gap. Just like there's a performance gap with the Japanese. If you ever attend a Lexus Track event. They always have a competive track course, the cars they let you drive are BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz. All this is just my opinion, I don't mean to start any fued.
Old 01-20-16, 08:22 AM
kdphan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
There's no mention on American options due to the fact that they're not considered direct competitors in their respected segments. With the exception of the Cadillac lineup all the other models you mentioned will never have the same build quality and refinement as the Lexus or its German rivals. Just go ask a dodge owner if they consider Lexus a competitor? They'll laugh in your in your face with all their horsepower capability. But with all that horsepower comes a sacrifice. American highest quality trim will never equal the same as foreign. Again, with the exception of the Cadillac perhaps being the closest. I think if you drop money on a Lexus you get a bit of everything, somethings you'd wish you had more of but unfortunately the brand isn't there at this point. My point is when you sit in a Lexus, you know it's a Lexus...it has the refinement and build quality that makes you feel awesome. The American brands are moving along in this segment as well but there will always be a gap. Just like there's a performance gap with the Japanese. If you ever attend a Lexus Track event. They always have a competive track course, the cars they let you drive are BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz. All this is just my opinion, I don't mean to start any fued.
ditto on Cadillac being the only competitor out of the list of american cars.

All the other american cars have a long ways to go with build quality.
Old 01-20-16, 10:12 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have no idea what lexus is doing with the gsf. about 5 years late to market if you ask me.

a better bet would be the audi rs7. Audi lately has gotten more reliable, and this is the best car they make. Blows away the gsf and rcf in terms of performance and power.
Old 01-20-16, 10:50 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i have no idea what lexus is doing with the gsf. about 5 years late to market if you ask me.

a better bet would be the audi rs7. Audi lately has gotten more reliable, and this is the best car they make. Blows away the gsf and rcf in terms of performance and power.
HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE real world difference in price there. There are two near me for sale $121k to $134k. I paid dang near half that for my RC F.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-20-16 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 03:25 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

This is a great read hits the points Ive been debating on it, which has been the hp at the end when I pull up in a GS-f and the M5 is next to me he will be the one who wins.
Old 01-21-16, 09:16 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Better late than never......and let's hope lexus will continue to improve on it

same goes for why jag and bentley finally having an suv when porsche came out with one

seeing how lexus called the new LC "500" with the same 467hp rating from the GS F and RC F shows that lexus finally listened.
Old 01-21-16, 11:32 AM
Malu59RT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Better late than never......and let's hope lexus will continue to improve on it

same goes for why jag and bentley finally having an suv when porsche came out with one

seeing how lexus called the new LC "500" with the same 467hp rating from the GS F and RC F shows that lexus finally listened.
The 500 comes from the engine size (5.0). That keeps up with the 3.5L V6 designation (GS350), 4.6L V8 (LS460) and so on.
Old 01-21-16, 01:57 PM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Malu59RT
The 500 comes from the engine size (5.0). That keeps up with the 3.5L V6 designation (GS350), 4.6L V8 (LS460) and so on.
Right. But given that it's called the "LC 500" and not the "LC F" implies that there is a more powerful engine in the works that has not yet been revealed. Probably the approx. 600hp twin turbo version of the V8 that people have been chatting about (though it is still rumor at this point). So, there is an argument that Lexus "listened" to audience response to low horsepower in the current V8. More to come, obviously.
Old 01-22-16, 02:26 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicWing
Right. But given that it's called the "LC 500" and not the "LC F" implies that there is a more powerful engine in the works that has not yet been revealed. Probably the approx. 600hp twin turbo version of the V8 that people have been chatting about (though it is still rumor at this point). So, there is an argument that Lexus "listened" to audience response to low horsepower in the current V8. More to come, obviously.
thats good news. they also need to make the cars AWD please. All power cannot be going to rear wheel, its just not safe. Lexus should learn from the GTR!
Old 01-25-16, 07:28 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully Lexus will take a chance and invest on turbo's for future F models...
Old 01-25-16, 04:08 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicWing
There is a more powerful version in the works. My sources claim they've literally just strapped on 2 turbos onto the RC-F motor to make a twin turbo pushing out 600hp.
Old 01-26-16, 08:58 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats good news. they also need to make the cars AWD please. All power cannot be going to rear wheel, its just not safe. Lexus should learn from the GTR!
I prefer rear wheel drive... It's the debate of being a true drivers car

Quick Reply: Why Purchase GS-F or RC-F article and who does GS-F hope to target