GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 12:16 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a bad *** car no doubt about it but there are obviously other vehicles out there with more horsepower other technology features, customization, etc. That being said that doesn't make those cars better just different. Lexus offers quality unmatched in the industry, vastly different styling, etc. There's a car for everyone and I think these will sell just fine. While they won't sell huge volumes of this car that's not the intent. This is a great step in the right direction for Lexus to step up their game in performance and styling and I for one applaud their effort. I'd love to be able to afford this car and hope to one day.
Old 12-19-15, 05:14 PM
DavidL
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
hell has anyone even driven one besides myself that's had some real seat time in one? don't automatically pass judgment and write off a car that you haven't even given a chance to. go drive one and first and then talk trash. wow.
I have. I bought one too. 400 miles worth of seat time so far

Old 12-19-15, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^^ those triple LED's really set it off! The CF is also incorporated very nicely
Old 12-19-15, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidL

Beauty! Please post your experience. My S5 lease is up in January '17, I used to have a GS F Sport and this bad boy is calling my name.
Old 12-20-15, 10:26 AM
3ivato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=DavidL;9293516]I have. I bought one too. 400 miles worth of seat time so far

Any Plans 4 Any Type of Mods on this Beast? ? Congrats ::
Old 12-20-15, 02:20 PM
DavidL
Driver

[QUOTE=3ivato;9294032]
Originally Posted by DavidL

Any Plans 4 Any Type of Mods on this Beast? ? Congrats ::
Thanks. Not sure what mods might be available/needed. Sounds like a new thread needs to get started!
Old 12-20-15, 05:17 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have much to add here except to say I'd really appreciate an awd GS-F. It's got enough hp and tq to satisfy me even though it doesn't match the perf #'s of the more expensive big guns from Germany. Let's not even go there on reliability!

As shrewdly pointed out by another poster, the appearance of the new Caddy CTS-V at a similar price point to the GS-F has to be a bitter pill for Lexus to swallow. Excepting for badge snobbery, the previous-gen V was apparently as good and sometimes better than the E63. The encore from Caddy is supposedly better still. I'll bet Caddy is giving fits to the big guns from Germany and not just Lexus.
Old 12-20-15, 05:31 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In another post elsewhere here, I wondered aloud how Lexus would react to Infiniti's new 400hp twin turbo six. It's headed for their Q50 and likely other offerings. I expect the M56 will get an even higher output version of this new powerplant to replace its V8. Bottom line is the GS needs a bigger motor option to compete in my humble estimation - it's been true for years and it's more true today.

Enter the GS-F. One option (dreamland?) is for Lexus to commercialize a slightly less expensive (and probably decontented) GS-F to counter the current and future hi-po offerings from Infiniti, Audi S (not their silly Sportline appearance pkg), Merc, BMW, Caddy V-Sport, etc. Most of these are AWD, so an AWD GS-F makes sense.

On the bright side, Acura appears asleep at the wheel so Lexus will stay ahead of them! Ha.
Old 12-20-15, 06:01 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
In another post elsewhere here, I wondered aloud how Lexus would react to Infiniti's new 400hp twin turbo six. It's headed for their Q50 and likely other offerings. I expect the M56 will get an even higher output version of this new powerplant to replace its V8. Bottom line is the GS needs a bigger motor option to compete in my humble estimation - it's been true for years and it's more true today.

Enter the GS-F. One option (dreamland?) is for Lexus to commercialize a slightly less expensive (and probably decontented) GS-F to counter the current and future hi-po offerings from Infiniti, Audi S (not their silly Sportline appearance pkg), Merc, BMW, Caddy V-Sport, etc. Most of these are AWD, so an AWD GS-F makes sense.

On the bright side, Acura appears asleep at the wheel so Lexus will stay ahead of them! Ha.
Nobody really knows the real reason why Lexus is not putting a trubo in their sports cars do they? Sure they have the turbo out in the IS300 and that NX model I think it is. Are they waiting to see how it holds up reliability wise before they start putting it into their more expensive lines? I mean hell the Ford Ecoboost is in their truck line and the block is apparently made by a very prestigious manufacturer (read in Autoweek can't remember where) but that doesn't mean the turbo is. If there V8 has been doing good with reliability in the ISF then maybe that's what they are leaning on. Ya Acura is dead. But Infinite? Let's get some power behind charging $85k

Last edited by mmartin061; 12-20-15 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-15, 12:28 PM
JaponesV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Nobody really knows the real reason why Lexus is not putting a trubo in their sports cars do they? Sure they have the turbo out in the IS300 and that NX model I think it is. Are they waiting to see how it holds up reliability wise before they start putting it into their more expensive lines? I mean hell the Ford Ecoboost is in their truck line and the block is apparently made by a very prestigious manufacturer (read in Autoweek can't remember where) but that doesn't mean the turbo is. If there V8 has been doing good with reliability in the ISF then maybe that's what they are leaning on. Ya Acura is dead. But Infinite? Let's get some power behind charging $85k
When your whole brand identity is around reliability, I imagine you're not first to market with new tech. Sure, if you have $90k to drop on a car you plan on keeping two years and taking a $30k-50k loss on. By all means, get a Mercedes, Cadillac or BMW. For those two years they will arguably be better drivers cars....faster and more refined

If you plan on keeping your car longer (I pay cash and drive them until they die) I'd much rather have a slightly slower more reliable vehicle that I can modify and make my own.

I love the GSF and if the new Tundra redesign doesn't wow me, I might pick one up used in a few years when they cross the $50-60k mark.

I'd LOVE if they came out with Supra-like power and reliability again no question, but I may be one of the few that puts reliability and value first.

If I had money to burn, I'd take a Porsche everyday and twice on Sunday over anything discussed.
Old 12-27-15, 03:34 PM
Kev99sv
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 37 Posts

Lots of interesting points of view. I just bought a GSF and appreciate it for what it is.
Most buyers of the GSF probably could buy any of other brands if they so desired but decided on the Lexus for their own reasons.
Merc AMG, BMW M, AM Rapide... Been there and not going back. Never bought an Audi but never wanted one either. Cadillac, nah. It's not just about horsepower. Also about fit, finish, build quality, reliability and dealer service. My Lexus dealer, Sterling McCall, in Houston is incredible. The Lexus may not be the fastest or highest tech but it is still a great car and I am glad to have one. Most said many of the same things about the LFA but still a magical car even though it isn't the fastest one around.
Old 12-29-15, 08:24 AM
DavidL
Driver

Originally Posted by Kev99sv
Lots of interesting points of view. I just bought a GSF and appreciate it for what it is.
Most buyers of the GSF probably could buy any of other brands if they so desired but decided on the Lexus for their own reasons.
Merc AMG, BMW M, AM Rapide... Been there and not going back. Never bought an Audi but never wanted one either. Cadillac, nah. It's not just about horsepower. Also about fit, finish, build quality, reliability and dealer service. My Lexus dealer, Sterling McCall, in Houston is incredible. The Lexus may not be the fastest or highest tech but it is still a great car and I am glad to have one. Most said many of the same things about the LFA but still a magical car even though it isn't the fastest one around.
+1
What he said ---------^
Old 12-29-15, 09:22 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
The turbo engines are coming to the F line. Lexus officially discontinued the N/A V8 a month or two ago😩. You gotta get them while they last. It is rumored an RC F GT3 will be released for 2017 with a V8 bi turbo 600hp. Yukihiko Yaguchi, once said the "F" line can't exist without a V8 hopefully he'll keep his word.
Old 12-30-15, 12:24 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a race ready 4L bi-turbo V8 that was made at Higashi-Fuji not put to use. Wonder if that could be the basis for high performance turbo's in future F cars?
Old 12-30-15, 05:07 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lexus is a little late to turbo game as well as nissan.
but the next q50 will even be turbo based as mentioned above.

imho the best 4wd sports sedan was the infiniti g35x from 2005-6. Timeless beauty and no car comes even close to looking like it except maybe the M3. When modded properly, looks just incredible.

lexus really effed up imho with this GSF. They need to put a twin turbo v8 in this.
Way underpowered compared to competition. And its not really all that attractive or distinctive from regular gs series.

here is news from infiniti.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...twin-turbo-v-6

Last edited by T4Fun; 12-30-15 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.