GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 06:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Or an Audi S6/7 AND you get to pick YOUR choice of paint color along with interior leather choices, stitching and carbon/wood chices. Cones with 450hp 400lbs torque available at 1500 rpm. Also cylinder deactivation which nets you 28 mpg and while eating up those miles your Audi is a 4 G Hotspot with integrated wifi on the road. Kids, say thank you
Don't get me wrong I would like for Lexus to succeed with this but it seems a little bit behind the techno/power plant curve. At this price point why would you NOT appreciate customizing your order to a T?
I wouldnt call missing a turbo or two or missing some adaptive suspensive is behind the techno/powerplant curve. Who's to say the AVS will be right for all the racetracks anyways and I'm curious how many buyers will track their cars especially an $90k car. Also, it has 467hp and the speed limit in the U.S. is not very high. So you get your 4 second of fun blasting to 65mph and that's about it. Lastly, German cars lack personality, it's beyond sterile and cookie cutter or boring. Sure I can get up to highway speeds an whopping 1 second quicker, but seriously...
Old 12-16-15, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Strange how there are some recurrent posters who jump in on anything favorable to Lexus just to add their own subjective negative opinion : all without having driven the Lexus.

I especially like the post telling the OP (who has actually testdriven said GSF)that he should prefer a competitor's car when said poster hasn't even touched the GS-F and is just bench-racing internet numbers.
it is not strange at all, it is pattern that appears with almost every new Lexus vehicle... it is to find something thats supposedly missing and emphasize it above everything else.

Lexus head engineers said multiple times why F cars dont have adjustable shocks. They believe you will get overall better experience with settings they chose and non adjustable shocks in the sports sedan. And guess what - every review I have read so far agrees with them. Apparently suspension is very well sorted.

But lets disregard that, and talk about AVS or even better fog lights. Does it have fog lights?

I am glad not a single person mentioned weight so far. I wonder why is that. I think it should be commended that GS-F has 400 lbs less weight than other competitor in the class, something that you will surely feel when driving your vehicle and going at any curve even at 20 MPH.
Old 12-16-15, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

550i is under 5300lb, what 400lb are we talking about here? i definitely like the fact that gsf keeps a good chassis and the weight down. better than the rcf which is heavy and yet we get bunch of people trying to defend the heavier weight as a good thing. that's far more hilarious.

i am also glad that the gsf has no foglights and that lexus utilizes those space for real purposes just like the m cars. but i guess it's a concept very hard to understand and apply on the regular gs.
Old 12-17-15, 02:29 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
550i is under 5300lb...
Just to point out you typo'd 4300lb.
Old 12-17-15, 07:39 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not strange at all, it is pattern that appears with almost every new Lexus vehicle... it is to find something thats supposedly missing and emphasize it above everything else.

Lexus head engineers said multiple times why F cars dont have adjustable shocks. They believe you will get overall better experience with settings they chose and non adjustable shocks in the sports sedan. And guess what - every review I have read so far agrees with them. Apparently suspension is very well sorted.

But lets disregard that, and talk about AVS or even better fog lights. Does it have fog lights?

I am glad not a single person mentioned weight so far. I wonder why is that. I think it should be commended that GS-F has 400 lbs less weight than other competitor in the class, something that you will surely feel when driving your vehicle and going at any curve even at 20 MPH.
No its not strange at all, the numbers don't matter when you are loosing right? They only matter when you win
Old 12-17-15, 07:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
op probably realized you can get a 650hp cts-v for the same money.
That would be my choice.
Old 12-17-15, 07:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think the main reason they don't offer adjustable suspension is for weight savings.
I'm going with cost.
Old 12-17-15, 02:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Just to point out you typo'd 4300lb.
ooops, thanks for pointing that out. yes i meant 4300lb.
Old 12-17-15, 11:18 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As I understand it, the GS F DOES have adjustable suspension, but it's not adjustable on the fly as many would prefer.

Look at the underhood pics and when you look at the shocks look at the little manual dial on top of the towers. And, remember when just a nicely-tuned suspension was the desire to have? Now we're spoiled with Active suspensions that totally transform at the push of a button. How soon we forget that when BMW was TRULY "the ultimate driving machine", that this simply wasn't needed. From the 2002 to the venerable 3 and 5 series (1988-2000's) platforms needed none of this modern wizzardry... and to this day are considered benchmarks today. Gee isn't that something?

As far as the Audi and other competitors...welp I was looking seriously at the RS7...but I can't stand the sound of that engine at all. Yes it's a beast, but it sounds like a farting beast. Just an ugly exhaust note. Yes I know why that is.
Add to that the fact that I'll likely never need the extra HP (and as configured is another $50k to boot!)...AND the fact that the GS F is a N/A engine, and the overall reliability of Lexus I think it's a great car worthy of much consideration.

Let's not forget that there are few options offered on the GS F, and they aren't playing the "let's raid your wallet, stupid" game that the Germans play regarding the options and packages. The GS F is pretty well equipped for the pricetag. I think it's a quality car that offers MUCH value. YMMV, etc...

The there's that glorious 2016 CTS-V, which in spite of the extra 180hp (that can't really be used on the street anyway) that also commands a @$12k premium (all boxes ticked) over the fully loaded GS F; I still think the GS F is a great prospect. Again, YMMV, IMHO and all that.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-17-15 at 11:51 PM. Reason: removing those dumb automatic active links in the text
Old 12-18-15, 01:17 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys what's the point of comparing the cars, why can't we just admire the new GS-F for what it is. A NA V8 GS, so what if it doesn't have the most power look at the xfrs sure it's slower than the m5 but it can make anyone grin with its massive over steer. Remember that back in the day BMW's Ms weren't about power they were about driving dynamics. This is what the GS-F appears to be the last old fashioned pure driving experience. Chances are within a few years cars like these will disappear, even the hellcat v8 isn't going to survive past 2020, and its relavitly new. My point is we should admire the car, and focus on its triumphs not its shortcomings,
Old 12-18-15, 07:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDemon
Guys what's the point of comparing the cars, why can't we just admire the new GS-F for what it is. A NA V8 GS, so what if it doesn't have the most power look at the xfrs sure it's slower than the m5 but it can make anyone grin with its massive over steer. Remember that back in the day BMW's Ms weren't about power they were about driving dynamics. This is what the GS-F appears to be the last old fashioned pure driving experience. Chances are within a few years cars like these will disappear, even the hellcat v8 isn't going to survive past 2020, and its relavitly new. My point is we should admire the car, and focus on its triumphs not its shortcomings,
Well said! Regardless of the power equation, I would still choose one over a 5 Series, E Series or A6 in any trim. I'm sure it will be a great car in its own right.
Old 12-19-15, 06:22 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

really? there is NOTHING missing from the GS-F! ive driven all of the competitors cars and lexus flat out knocked the ball out of the park with this car! the IS-F was an incredible little car in its day and still is! the regular GS is a fun car to drive as it is and with the V8, the thing screams! the GS-F has that wonderful mechanical ride that everybody loved about the IS-F yet its bigger and has more guts. amazing ride, stellar fit and finish and dead sexy looks. the only thing missing from lexus is the history of the German cars, and that's pretty closed minded. the GS-F is a car that can be a sensible daily driver, classy enough to put on a tux and go to the club, and brutal enough to take to a track and not have to visit the shop after, or every month like BMW or a three pointed star.
Old 12-19-15, 06:25 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

hell has anyone even driven one besides myself that's had some real seat time in one? don't automatically pass judgment and write off a car that you haven't even given a chance to. go drive one and first and then talk trash. wow.
Old 12-19-15, 07:19 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Strange how there are some recurrent posters who jump in on anything favorable to Lexus just to add their own subjective negative opinion : all without having driven the Lexus.

I especially like the post telling the OP (who has actually testdriven said GSF)that he should prefer a competitor's car when said poster hasn't even touched the GS-F and is just bench-racing internet numbers.
Couldn't have put it any better
Old 12-19-15, 10:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
hell has anyone even driven one besides myself that's had some real seat time in one? don't automatically pass judgment and write off a car that you haven't even given a chance to. go drive one and first and then talk trash. wow.
Only about 15 minutes of seat time. Feels a little nose heavy like the IS F, but that was expected. Communicative steering and plenty of usable power. Once again this 5.0 likes to sing. I miss the 16-way power seats of the F-Sport but these 10-way with fixed bolster support the driver well, like the IS F-Sport and RC F. Very fond of the alcantara/suede inserts and the CF trim. Can't stand the '13-15 steering wheel controls (mainly the cheap rough plastic bezels). Wish they added the new one found on the GS, ES, RX and LX. The boat load of standard equipment is nice, most will only add ML and orange caliper options. This is a car that will make you grin ear to ear. Something about a V8 in the GS just feel right . Now if someone wants to depreciate one for me, I'd be forever grateful

Quick Reply: 2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.