GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 03:35 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
I love lexus, I think they build some great cars. But if you are buying a performance sedan and you're not gonna buy the gs-f if you can get this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS...m=371501804017
Or an Audi S6/7 AND you get to pick YOUR choice of paint color along with interior leather choices, stitching and carbon/wood chices. Cones with 450hp 400lbs torque available at 1500 rpm. Also cylinder deactivation which nets you 28 mpg and while eating up those miles your Audi is a 4 G Hotspot with integrated wifi on the road. Kids, say thank you
Don't get me wrong I would like for Lexus to succeed with this but it seems a little bit behind the techno/power plant curve. At this price point why would you NOT appreciate customizing your order to a T?
Old 12-14-15, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus of Riverside (CA) has (supposedly) sold the first 2016 GS-F available in the U.S....but I don't have any real confirmation on that....other than it's not listed in stock any more.

Kaizen Factor also has a reference to it.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2479844&type=3

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Supposedly the F suspension is dialed in to the point it renders an adaptive suspension pointless.
dialed in for what though? short of a fully (re)active suspension, no suspension can be dialed in for all circumstances.

obviously for highway cruising it's nice to have a softer setup than for slalom or the track.
Old 12-14-15, 11:27 AM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dialed in for what though? short of a fully (re)active suspension, no suspension can be dialed in for all circumstances.

obviously for highway cruising it's nice to have a softer setup than for slalom or the track.
For performance maybe. I remembered the last gen R8 v10 Plus having non adjustable suspension vs the adaptive ones on the standard vehicle.
Old 12-14-15, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it was a disappointment to a lot of rcf owners that the fsport has avs but not the rcf. i agree, there is no suspension that is dialed in to everything, why lexus did that is up to everyone's guesses. but it's possible that we will see the same on the gsf too

hey at least we can argue the lfa doesn't have it too
Old 12-14-15, 01:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i guess people know they're not buying a comfy highway cruiser when they get a gs-f or rc-f but then again porsche provides 2 settings on every 911:

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

PASM is fitted as standard in all 911 models for the first time. This electronic damping control system continuously adjusts the damping force on each wheel, based on current road conditions and driving style.
PASM has two modes, which can be selected using a separate button on the centre console: ‘Normal’, which is a blend of performance and comfort, and ‘Sport’ where the setup is much firmer.
The results are tangible: increased driving stability, improved comfort and enhanced performance.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...nagement-pasm/
of course their price points are higher and they've been at the game a very long time.

just looked up bmw m4 - it has 3 suspension modes:

Adaptive M suspension.

The Adaptive M suspension's electronically controlled shock absorbers constantly adjust to road conditions as well as driving style within milliseconds, guaranteeing optimal road contact in every situation, the best possible traction and even more agile handling.
The suspension settings can be adjusted from comfortable to sporty-dynamic via the Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes.

Comfort mode ensures comfortable handling during everyday driving, and also increases safety in case sudden swerving is necessary. In Sport mode, ample comfort is maintained, but dampening is reduced and contact with the road is more direct – ideal for country roads and uneven racecourses. Sport+ mode offers minimal dampening and maximum driving dynamics on level roads and racetracks.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...nsion.html#t=l
ok what the heck, here's mercedes on the e63:
AMG Adaptive Sport SuspensionAMG-developed front steel spring-struts and self-leveling rear air springs deliver highly responsive tracking and cornering with a balance of comfort and control, even as driving conditions vary. Advanced electronically controlled damping instantly adapts to reduce body roll, pitch and dive, while offering three modes at the touch of a button.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-14-15 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i guess people know they're not buying a comfy highway cruiser when they get a gs-f or rc-f but then again porsche provides 2 settings on every 911:
A good point. Most vehicles in this class would be expected to have at least the typical Comfort / Normal / Sport settings for the suspension. Some high-performance Subarus (in a lower price class than this) go a step further and include a Sport-Sharp setting.
Old 12-14-15, 02:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A good point. Most vehicles in this class would be expected to have at least the typical Comfort / Normal / Sport settings for the suspension. Some high-performance Subarus (in a lower price class than this) go a step further and include a Sport-Sharp setting.
Eh...Subaru's SI-Drive has nothing to do with the suspension. Furthermore, it consists of 3 modes (Intelligent, Sport, Sport Sharp).

BMW's M (comfort, sport, sport+) and Mercedes S-AMG (Comfort, Sport, Sport +, Race), however, tie in the suspension along with other transmission/throttle response changes.
Old 12-14-15, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Eh...Subaru's SI-Drive has nothing to do with the suspension. Furthermore, it consists of 3 modes (Intelligent, Sport, Sport Sharp).

BMW's M (comfort, sport, sport+) and Mercedes S-AMG (Comfort, Sport, Sport +, Race), however, tie in the suspension along with other transmission/throttle response changes.
Yes, you're correct...my bad. I forgot that Subaru's system affects only the engine's throttle-response and torque-curve, not the underpinnings.

But many upmarket vehicles DO have variable damping/suspension settings. It is one of the things expected for the price....although my experience has been that sometimes the different settings are significant or perceptible between them...other times they are not. And some vehicles have suspensions so stiff that even the COMFORT setting can be firm....others give you a fairly compliant ride even in the SPORT setting.
Old 12-14-15, 03:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

of course their price points are higher and they've been at the game a very long time.

just looked up bmw m4 - it has 3 suspension modes:

ok what the heck, here's mercedes on the e63:
yes, my e93 m3 also had adjustable suspension (makes big difference between soft and firm).

it's just more money
Old 12-14-15, 03:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not trying to put down the gs-f which i expect to be a REALLY REALLY great drive. but it does seem like it should have that feature. not the same kind of vehicle but the similar hp jeep grand cherokee srt has suspension/throttle/etc. modes which definitely make the car softer/stiffer.
Old 12-14-15, 03:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

not trying to put down the gs-f which i expect to be a REALLY REALLY great drive. but it does seem like it should have that feature. not the same kind of vehicle but the similar hp jeep grand cherokee srt has suspension/throttle/etc. modes which definitely make the car softer/stiffer.
i have been in agreement since 2008 when the isf came out, and the fact that is350/gs350/rc350 have that capability
Old 12-15-15, 10:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the main reason they don't offer adjustable suspension is for weight savings.
Old 12-15-15, 03:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I sold the very first RC350 F sport in florida I used to be a salesman at the dealership
Old 12-16-15, 12:08 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Strange how there are some recurrent posters who jump in on anything favorable to Lexus just to add their own subjective negative opinion : all without having driven the Lexus.

I especially like the post telling the OP (who has actually testdriven said GSF)that he should prefer a competitor's car when said poster hasn't even touched the GS-F and is just bench-racing internet numbers.

Quick Reply: 2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.