GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Chair

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 07:14 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Chair

Damn if I wasn't on a two lane stretch, right lane, at about 65, riding along with traffic, trying my best not to tailgate, probably 4-5 car lengths behind a uhaul pick up truck...and along comes this bouncing out the back...

Chair-photo676.jpg

As it skids in front of me I'm on the brakes pretty hard trying not to collide with it, the cars to my left or the close shoulder rail to my right (was on a bridge). Not getting hit from behind would be preferred.

I get it al slowed down fairly quickly and ended meeting the chair in the roadway as I brought the car to a stop in the shoulder.

No evidence of dents, but lots of whitewash paint transferred

Chair-photo906.jpgChair-photo264.jpgChair-photo788.jpgChair-photo266.jpgChair-photo972.jpg

So, needless to say I'm all on edge about being behind trucks with unknowingly unsecured loads.

Truck didn't stop by the way. Kept right in going. Insurance is notified.
Old 03-19-17, 07:32 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Man thats terrible, this town is notorious for stuff flying off the back of peoples trucks and they dont even care. In my other car I was behind a car in the left lane going about 70, they switched lanes and then as soon as I know it I hit a huge piece of wood in the road and it busted my bumper up, had to shell out $900 for the bumper and paint. I remember cruising too and there was a entire baby crib in the fast lane that fell off a truck. Another time my mom had a matress fall off the back of the truck around a dangerous curve on to her windshield. She somehow managed to pull over. The truck that had stuff fall out stopped only to go retrieve the mattress not even seeing if she was OK or apologize. I try to stay far away from trucks that have anything in them or even 18 wheelers. Are you going to go thru insurance or just buy a new numper or get it repainted? I generally don't even want to mess with insurance despite having good insurance so my rates don't go up which sucks.
Old 03-19-17, 08:08 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Ouch! Looks like most of it can buff right out. At least you have a nice new chair for your kitchen! Haha.
Old 03-19-17, 08:55 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Most of it looks like a buffing job and Lexus touch up paint, I think not worth the hassle of insurance and get the bumper repainted.
Old 03-20-17, 02:31 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kamskeez
Ouch! Looks like most of it can buff right out. At least you have a nice new chair for your kitchen! Haha.
Damn real. Kept that SOB despite how much I wanted to throw it in the Bay. My son just bough a house, probably look good in his kitchen minus the road rash.

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Most of it looks like a buffing job and Lexus touch up paint, I think not worth the hassle of insurance and get the bumper repainted.
I've already ran a quote through them. Progressive has been good to me for a long while now. I probably would just buff it myself but I've got that installed ceramic (which might be way easier to remove the scuffs). Either way, it'll probably be fine.

Last edited by MustangSal; 03-20-17 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 05:40 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks. My car's front end got slapped on the highway by flying roofing material from a pickup truck two weeks ago. It happens all the time here in Texas where pickup trucks outnumber cars 10 to 1. You always see cargo flying out of them from the zillion contractors, landscapers, DIY movers, and worst, pallet carriers who are always trying to stack two more pallet onto their quarter ton F150s. I hate those pallet carriers.
Old 03-20-17, 08:45 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

My old accord years ago was hit by a bolt that fell off the back of a flatbed truck. It put a dent and deep gouge in the hood and cracked the windshield. I got the trucks insurance info and company info and called them. They apologized and said they will contact their insurance and let me know next steps. Well I get a call the next day from the company manager saying their insurance requested to inspect the bolt that hit my car or a video of the incident showing the bolt fell off the truck. I told him we were on the freeway and it would require me to stop all traffic on the six lane freeway to look for the bolt and of course I did not have a video (this was two decades ago and dash cams were very rare). He told me unless I have physical or video evidence, they will not pay and will defend if I try to sue. So I was left to pay for it myself.
That is one of the reasons I have a dash cam on every car I drive now and also have a 'suction cup' dash cam for when I travel and drive a rental car.
Old 03-20-17, 08:50 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Damn real. Kept that SOB despite how much I wanted to throw it in the Bay. My son just bough a house, probably look good in his kitchen minus the road rash.I've already ran a quote through them. Progressive has been good to me for a long while now. I probably would just buff it myself but I've got that installed ceramic (which might be way easier to remove the scuffs). Either way, it'll probably be fine.
I had a similar situation few years ago on the turnpike where I was driving around 80 mph and some jack____ had bad busted tire but he kept driving for some reason and I was driving my wifes new RX350 and the peices of rubber dented/scratched the front bumper from several places and the side view mirror. I pulled over to check my car but he kept driving lol. Car being a lighter shade I just used compound polish and the touch up paint.
Old 03-20-17, 08:50 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

We have mattresses, ladders, hubcaps, bumpers, rims with tires, rims without tires, tires without rims, refrigerators, fans, ricers body kit, u name it we got it here on the streets of socal.
Old 03-20-17, 09:32 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
We have mattresses, ladders, hubcaps, bumpers, rims with tires, rims without tires, tires without rims, refrigerators, fans, ricers body kit, u name it we got it here on the streets of socal.

You forgot, truck bedliners, truck snugtops, kids toys, couches, recliners, kids playschool slides, shoes, clothes, 2x4 wood, 4x4 wood, tarps, tube TV's, carpet rolls, bags of yard trimmings, bumpers with license plate still attached. I see that more in L.A. County than in the O.C.
Old 03-20-17, 09:46 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Ah hell yes.
Old 03-20-17, 05:18 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

That sucks I'd be pissed for sure
Old 03-21-17, 08:58 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Here in Texas almost every time i get on the road I have to dodge something on the highway. I now have a BlackVue dashcam front and back so if I need the evidence for an insurance claim I have it. I don't use the GS as a DD so it's not so bad for me but I feel for those who do.
Old 03-21-17, 09:05 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lamikela1
Here in Texas almost every time i get on the road I have to dodge something on the highway. I now have a BlackVue dashcam front and back so if I need the evidence for an insurance claim I have it. I don't use the GS as a DD so it's not so bad for me but I feel for those who do.
I've seriously contemplated the dash cam. More so now than ever before.

How hard are they to string up and what's the storage like? Do you have to constantly blank out the Hardrive? Or does it just keep a running log?
Old 03-21-17, 10:05 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Absolutely sucks to hear especially since I knew you just got your vehicle not long ago! I feel for you - my GSh just had to go through some minor cosmetic work as well.

Hope you can get it resolved with insurance smoothly.

~ Im2bz2p345

Quick Reply: Chair