GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Leased car servicing requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 11:14 AM
conboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leased car servicing requirements

For those that leased their Lexus, do you get maintenance services done at the dealerships or do it yourself/outside shop? Are we required per the agreement to bring into a dealership?
Old 02-21-17, 11:38 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5k and. 10k services are free at any dealership. The 15k only changing air filters you can do it yourself, just note it on the lexus website. The 20k you can change the oil yourself but i prefer bring it in to the lexus dealer; in so cal there are coupon that only cost 100 for oil change. But if you prefer do it yourself or to a third party just need to note on the website and keep the receives.
There are mix reviews regarding to lease return, some said it is easy especially if you lease another car from lexus. Some said it is hard will cost a lot. Personally, if you take care of the car as you support to you wont have any problem.
Ps: fsport will cost you a bit more on maintainence such as brakes and tires.
just my 2cents 😁
Old 02-21-17, 12:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I skipped my free 5K service cause it's a waste of time, then I brought it in for the free 10K miles to do whatever they needed to do (pretty much only oil change really). Then I skipped the 15K miles and did oil change only at 20K miles. I did change the cabin and engine filters and front brake pads myself at around 23K miles, and skipped the 25K miles and went in for another oil change at 30K miles. My car has been running like new with no issue. They do the visual inspections and refill fluids at the oil change anyway and it's only $100.

I also changed my remote battery myself, got 3 batteries for $1 at the dollar store and it has been working great.
Old 02-21-17, 01:30 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

5k mile intervals would only really make sense for the AWD crowd, since they rotate the tires...
Old 02-21-17, 03:13 PM
conboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I skipped my free 5K service cause it's a waste of time, then I brought it in for the free 10K miles to do whatever they needed to do (pretty much only oil change really). Then I skipped the 15K miles and did oil change only at 20K miles. I did change the cabin and engine filters and front brake pads myself at around 23K miles, and skipped the 25K miles and went in for another oil change at 30K miles. My car has been running like new with no issue. They do the visual inspections and refill fluids at the oil change anyway and it's only $100.

I also changed my remote battery myself, got 3 batteries for $1 at the dollar store and it has been working great.
What I was trying to ask is it ok for us to do the services ourselves/pay a shop to do it? Instead of taking it to the Lexus dealership. Since not doing it at the dealership will not keep a history of the services done to the car. What are the consequences, if any taking to dealership vs. doing it at home?
Old 02-21-17, 03:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You are not required to have your car serviced at the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
conboi (02-21-17)
Old 02-21-17, 05:02 PM
eXtremeoak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
You are not required to have your car serviced at the dealer.
Do you just provide the receipts for proof?
Old 02-21-17, 05:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

They wouldn't take my receipts. They simply did not care.
Old 02-21-17, 06:01 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Like already mentioned...You do not need to service your leased car at the dealer. Just have proof (receipts) handy just in case your dealer asks if you bring it in for warranty issues. Log your services in drivers.lexus.com. Also, I take my car in for the free 5K (address any rattles and set any LPS such as program key fob to open windows) and 10K mile services. Then I skip the 15K and 25K (since can't rotate tires on RWD). I take it in for 20K and 30K, but pick and choose things that I will let them do since some things are unnecessary IMO (i.e., key fob battery replacement). No hassle from Lexus about skipping the 15K or 25K mile services.
For changing brake pads, I purchase them online from an OEM Lexus parts site and take it to a local shop.
Old 02-21-17, 07:58 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by conboi
For those that leased their Lexus, do you get maintenance services done at the dealerships or do it yourself/outside shop? Are we required per the agreement to bring into a dealership?
I bought the maintenance package from the start of the lease and has it covered until I return the car - so I get it serviced at the service center. For me, its just one less thing to worry about - reason why I lease - just drive it Usually get a loaner while they service my car.
Old 02-22-17, 01:24 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shameless plug here: you can use Carista to set your "Lexus Personalized Settings" by yourself (including the "dealer-only" ones!) So that's one more reason to skip the dealer if it's not convenient for you.
Old 02-22-17, 07:56 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yea they don't care as long as u return the car in good shape. Especially when u trade it in for a new car, I've never been asked for proof of maintenance. If they give u a hard time about it just go to a different dealer.
Old 02-22-17, 08:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

The only time your DIY maintenance service would come into play would be if there was an issue which brings into question whether adequate service was performed, or not. Most things that break or fail due to lack of maintenance or inspection (e.g. brakes, rotors, suspension parts, alignment, etc.) can be remedied at only moderate expense, but a problem with the internals of the engine is a whole different matter that will often cost many thousands of dollars. For example, if a cam lobe wore down, or a connecting rod or main bearing spun or became scored or scarred I suspect Lexus is going to question whether the engine oil and oil filter was changed as required. Having a receipt for engine oil and oil filters does not mean the service was actually performed... Personally, I don't want the hassle of such a controversy with the engine. It's just not worth it...
Old 01-16-18, 10:02 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
I ran into this this week. No oil changes done on a female leased (Florida car) Lexus ES w/ 27k miles. Up for sale as a CPO. I cancelled the sale after sampling the history of others that were for sale and could find very few that didn't have at least the 10 and 20 k showing up. I also searched for info on leasee's not doing oil changes and apparently there is a percentage of them who never bother. This is by their own admission. I never imagined someone would be so ignorant as to not do the minimum on a 40k dollar vehicle or that Lexus wouldn't require said minimum.
There is a special place in hell for people like that!
Old 01-16-18, 10:05 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Which Dealership is doing oil changes for $100 in SoCal. I usually go to Longo Lexus, they charged me $145 last time for oil change.

Quick Reply: Leased car servicing requirements