GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Forward Facing Car Seats?

Old 01-31-17, 06:43 PM
RainbowTrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Facing Car Seats?

I was wondering if anyone has any forward facing car seat recommendations for the GS.

This is has something to do with just the back seat geometry of the GS but also the face that the rear seats have "bolsters" and a lower center area. I am worried the car seats I have in there are digging into the bolsters.

Are there any good car seats with a narrow base that aren't too bulky?
Old 01-31-17, 08:01 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

First I recommend searching, I recall seeing some threads on it a while back.

Second, is it safe to assume you're installing in the outboard positions? I have mine installed in the center and it works well. I haven't tried it in the outboard positions. I've used both Recaro ProRIDE (in a different vehicle) and presently have Recaro Performance Sport in 2 vehicles, works great in both. It's a fairly narrow base and the rear structure is compact with fairly smooth lines.
Old 01-31-17, 09:00 PM
DJP333
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I use the Graco Nautilus 65 LX 3-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat. I just lay a good quality car seat protector first and then put this car seat on with no problems.

Old 02-02-17, 05:27 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You could also just use seat protectors. I have one of these in my car...

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Auto...0001EM8I2?th=1

That link should take you to Amazon....

Last edited by jtrue28; 02-02-17 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 05:47 AM
GSHLNMTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Chicco Nextfit in my 2015 FSport. It is on the passenger side and seems secure and stable, and the bubble level is with in the acceptable range. It's an expensive seat, but I would recommend it to anyone. I have it in this position because I ride alone with my son a lot and need to be able to see him.

http://www.chiccousa.com/nextfit/

With that said, our son is 3.5 years old and 40" tall, so it's a little snug back there. I keep the front passenger seat pretty far up so that he doesn't destroy the back of the front passenger seat.

We don't use a seat protector. I have taken the carseat out a couple of times and the leather has gone back to normal.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-17, 10:16 AM
RainbowTrl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSHLNMTR
I have a Chicco Nextfit in my 2015 FSport. It is on the passenger side and seems secure and stable, and the bubble level is with in the acceptable range. It's an expensive seat, but I would recommend it to anyone. I have it in this position because I ride alone with my son a lot and need to be able to see him.

http://www.chiccousa.com/nextfit/

With that said, our son is 3.5 years old and 40" tall, so it's a little snug back there. I keep the front passenger seat pretty far up so that he doesn't destroy the back of the front passenger seat.

We don't use a seat protector. I have taken the carseat out a couple of times and the leather has gone back to normal.

Good luck!
Thanks, we have this in my wife's minivan. The one thing I don't like about convertible seats (front & rear facing) is that they are so bulky!
Old 02-02-17, 11:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We use the Diono seats. There pretty thin and fold up flat for airplane travel.

http://www.target.com/p/diono-radian...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-03-17, 08:52 AM
GSHLNMTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RainbowTrl
Thanks, we have this in my wife's minivan. The one thing I don't like about convertible seats (front & rear facing) is that they are so bulky!
Yeah, they are bulky compared to the others things some of the others have posted. The reason we got this one was that a friend, who has twins, was done with them, and was selling them to us 2 for 1. We wanted two seats, one for my car and one for the wife's car, so we couldn't pass this deal up!
Old 02-03-17, 09:36 AM
fungke
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, don't have a GS...yet...
but I currently use a Diono seat. Pick the Radian series as they are much more compact.
If you do go this rout, make sure you get the angle adjuster as well. It's just a piece of foam but
the front passenger will gain a couple inches of space because of it.
Old 02-03-17, 09:56 AM
nobodycare
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
We use the Diono seats. There pretty thin and fold up flat for airplane travel.

http://www.target.com/p/diono-radian...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Diono seats are by far the best I've had. I've usually stuck with Britax and then I found these and they are worth the price. I have the RXT and it great in the car. I have it in the middle with no problems at all.

http://www.target.com/p/diono-radian...t/-/A-15294177
Old 02-03-17, 09:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

The safest position for a car seat is in the center of the rear seat, but the GS 350 does not have the center car seat 'Latch' system. There is a center seat belt and even though the center seat is raised and not comfortable for an adult it can be used with seat belts - it just doesn't have the Latch system latch hooks. But there's a way to use the Latch system in the middle position.

Latch hooks have required spacing, and Lexus has installed them in the left-hand and right-hand rear seat positions, but not for the center position. Most car seat's Latch connectors (e.g. Chicco KeyFit) will not reach the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook in order to install the car seat in the center position because the [two inboard hook] spacing is a few inches too far apart, and also because the center seat is raised. The car seat's web straps that have the Latch connectors on the ends are about 1" shy of being able to connect to the two inboard Latch hooks. However, if you want to use a car seat in the center position (without using the seat belt to strap the car seat in-place), you can add a heavy duty chain link to the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook so the car seat's Latch connectors will then reach and latch to the added links. The chain links are rated at a higher tensile strength than the Latch hooks. Works like a charm!
Old 02-03-17, 10:05 AM
nobodycare
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The safest position for a car seat is in the center of the rear seat, but the GS 350 does not have the center car seat 'Latch' system. There is a center seat belt and even though the center seat is raised and not comfortable for an adult it can be used with seat belts - it just doesn't have the Latch system latch hooks. But there's a way to use the Latch system in the middle position.

Latch hooks have required spacing, and Lexus has installed them in the left-hand and right-hand rear seat positions, but not for the center position. Most car seat's Latch connectors (e.g. Chicco KeyFit) will not reach the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook in order to install the car seat in the center position because the [two inboard hook] spacing is a few inches too far apart, and also because the center seat is raised. The car seat's web straps that have the Latch connectors on the ends are about 1" shy of being able to connect to the two inboard Latch hooks. However, if you want to use a car seat in the center position (without using the seat belt to strap the car seat in-place), you can add a heavy duty chain link to the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook so the car seat's Latch connectors will then reach and latch to the added links. The chain links are rated at a higher tensile strength than the Latch hooks. Works like a charm!

bclexus, agree that the middle is the safest spot in the car, if you use the Diono RXT that I linked to you will have no problems at all mounting it in the middle (forward facing) without using anything else. I use the latch with the seat in the middle. It does make it a little more difficult to belt in on either side but kids can still figure it out.