GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice Needed/ Course of action

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 05:43 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Advice Needed/ Course of action

I purchased a 2014 GS-Fsport with 27,000 miles on the odo back in November 2016. When I first purchased the car, I noticed that the car's cabin wasnt as quiet as my previous car, but i thought this car was louder because of the low profile tires. The temps dropped here recently and i noticed that the car's cabin had a draft coming from the rear, and the car wasnt as soundproof as I thought it should be. I took the car to the dealership, they kept it for a day and called me today to tell me that the car had to have been in accident because the rear door panels werent pushed all the way in, and the doors arent aligned.

What's my course of action in a case like this? I know the laws are different from State to State, but is it worth it to fight the car dealership that sold me the car? The carfax was clean, so can they just say that they didnt know? Trade it in to carmax? Trade it in at a dealership?

Thanks all
Old 01-31-17, 06:23 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of dealership did you buy the car from? Also, are you just taking the dealership's word on it, or is there obvious indications of the dealership's claim that it was in an accident? I'd definitely try going back to the dealership you bought it from and see if they're willing to work anything out.

Unfortunately, this sounds like it might be a case where you might have to take a hit financially because you didn't do your due diligence when purchasing the car (Had that issue with my TL - it ate the right rear tire like it was its job)
Old 01-31-17, 06:41 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

you are kind of screwed on this... I would just keep the car at this point or you will be taking a 15-20% hit. Maybe trade it in against a competitor like Mercedes/BMW/Audi. Lexus will give you crap for the car.
Old 01-31-17, 06:45 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple things come to mind, is the frame bent? Or are the doors simply misaligned?

For example, the previous owner could have scraped the side of the car or had a side impact that necessitated door removal and reinstallation. Is it a matter of simply adjusting the doors? Or reinstalling some missing sound deadening?

If there is frame damage or obvious damage to the vehicle you may have recourse against the selling dealer because their mechanic should have noticed significant damage. If its simply door hanging/sound deadening? Not so much...

Also make sure the carfax VIN matches the VIN on your car and that they didn't pull a carfax for a similar vehicle.
Old 01-31-17, 06:50 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought the vehicle from a dealership authorized by my credit union (the credit union has dealerships they recommend, but one doesnt have to use them). CTNYC, the dealership asked me to feel the rear panel of the car closest to the door where the panel was loose. I guess i was supposed to feel some sort of inconsistency, but i really didnt know what i was supposed to feel for because the paint looks and feels fine to me, but im not expert on body work.

Im going to the dealership tomorrow to see if i can work something out.
Old 01-31-17, 07:07 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkley45
Thanks for the replies guys. I bought the vehicle from a dealership authorized by my credit union (the credit union has dealerships they recommend, but one doesnt have to use them). CTNYC, the dealership asked me to feel the rear panel of the car closest to the door where the panel was loose. I guess i was supposed to feel some sort of inconsistency, but i really didnt know what i was supposed to feel for because the paint looks and feels fine to me, but im not expert on body work.

Im going to the dealership tomorrow to see if i can work something out.
My recommendation is that you go in armed with information but don't be a ****. Instead talk through the issue, why it's a concern, and how it should have been obvious if the vehicle had undergone a basic inspection and that you really would like to get a resolution.

If you go in guns blazing it could backfire and in many instances, if it's a real mistake, and they have a good reputation they may work with you.
Old 01-31-17, 07:13 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Thanks OUGrad. im a pretty laid back guy (arent most GS-f owners laid back and cool? lol). Im going in with facts with and a few State laws that may say things in my favor, but who knows. I honestly love the car, t this would bother me.
Old 01-31-17, 07:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

since it was a dealership authorized by your Credit Union, you might want to contact them about it..
Old 01-31-17, 11:48 PM
DP03
Driver

Just a word of caution about going the Carmax route. Although it's free, they know how to appraise cars, and they do a much better job than the average joe when determining if a car's been in an accident (because they're not all reported). They will know the car's been damaged.
Old 02-02-17, 07:58 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Just a word of caution about going the Carmax route. Although it's free, they know how to appraise cars, and they do a much better job than the average joe when determining if a car's been in an accident (because they're not all reported). They will know the car's been damaged.
Carmax will also tell you your car has frame damage when it really doesn't. Happened to both my wife and me when it was time to sell our respective vehicles.
Old 02-02-17, 08:04 AM
DP03
Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
Carmax will also tell you your car has frame damage when it really doesn't. Happened to both my wife and me when it was time to sell our respective vehicles.
Any panel, including most rear quarter panels that tie into the frame is considered frame damage. It's not just not the under box frame. If a panel that ties into the frame has to be cut out it compormises the strength of the frame. The two largest auctions in the US (Manheim #1, Carmax #2) require this disclosure at their auctions, and the resale values are affected.

The little, or roadside auctions don't have those disclosures and therefore you may fetch more from elsewhere if they don't know about the panel, or if they don't care.

Last edited by DP03; 02-02-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 09:03 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Any panel, including most rear quarter panels that tie into the frame is considered frame damage. It's not just not the under box frame. If a panel that ties into the frame has to be cut out it compormises the strength of the frame. The two largest auctions in the US (Manheim #1, Carmax #2) require this disclosure at their auctions, and the resale values are affected.

The little, or roadside auctions don't have those disclosures and therefore you may fetch more from elsewhere if they don't know about the panel, or if they don't care.
I believe if u sell the car now you'll be taking more hit then in couple of years cas the price will already be depreciated. Also you should talk to your credit union about it.
Old 02-02-17, 09:59 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

CarMax appraised my X5, when I knew it was in an accident due to the poor paint job but they said the car is extremely clean and powerful...coming from the #1 selling CarMax across the nation...

They appraised it at $19K but I traded it in to Lexus for $27K
The following users liked this post:
Mewannalex (02-02-17)
Old 02-02-17, 10:02 AM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
CarMax appraised my X5, when I knew it was in an accident due to the poor paint job but they said the car is extremely clean and powerful...coming from the #1 selling CarMax across the nation...

They appraised it at $19K but I traded it in to Lexus for $27K
Wow! Tell me more. I sold a Impreza to Carmax once and they gave enough to make a 1k profit of it. Tried a relatively new car and they lowball the heck out of me, I almost punched the guy. hehehe.
Old 02-02-17, 10:05 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
Wow! Tell me more. I sold a Impreza to Carmax once and they gave enough to make a 1k profit of it. Tried a relatively new car and they lowball the heck out of me, I almost punched the guy. hehehe.
Well CarMax did have MANY X5's in their systems already so probably why they low balled me. Lexus offered me $25K but I started to walk out but salesman said fine $27K. I literally bought the car 5 weeks prior but all the BMW gremlins started to come out so I was already over my head on repairs so just towed it to Lexus to keep it under 75K since that is the tipping point on BMWs and bit the bullet. I was really against keeping the Lexus but I think it will be a great buy once lease is up if they do some wiggle room on the pricing.

Last edited by djrabbi; 02-02-17 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed/ Course of action