GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Torn

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 10:47 AM
DodgeMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn

So if you'd ask me a few years ago I would never probably have considered Lexus outside of an ISF. To me the performance wasn't their.
Anyhow fast forward to now where the IS-F is gone and the RC-F is lacking 2 doors for my liking and we move to the GS-F which is WAY over priced!!
Part of my thought about looking for an GS350 F Sport, I like the looks of the car, reliability, and it seems to have decent power. Just curious on any feedback on this vehicle. I have a Charger R/T now which is affordable and has decent power but it does lack the refinement and reliability of luxury cars.
Just want to hear opinions from owners.
How does the car feel performance wise?
Seems like that 60k is a bit steep and for only 311hp....
Old 01-26-17, 11:23 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Buy one used. I just got mine last night, I've barely driven it but I love it so far. I was considering the usual stuff but didn't want to go the BMW route again. Lexus has really made some nice sporty feeling stuff in these last few years. The car doesn't have as much HP as other cars maybe have but do you really need 400/500hp? Honestly when I had my m3 that was highly modified the first think I thought was that this power is pretty much useless on public roads unless you want to get tickets. 0-60 times don't matter to me or 1/4 mile times, I'm intrested in how it feels and if it makes me smile. For me I wanted the relability of Lexus. I bought my LS430 a few years ago and while its not sporty, its the best car I've ever owned. Its one of the most comfortable luxurious rides. I wanted something more sporty and decent space so the GS was the best option. The interior is my favorite compared to the 5series/a6/eclass of the same year. Go check out at at carmax or something to test drive it. I bought this car without even driving it first.
Old 01-26-17, 11:25 AM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This GS is actually a very capable car even though is has only 311hp. Surprisingly faster than an F10 535i around the track and straight line. You won't get disappointed for how good it is performance wise since it is a sports luxury sedan. You can always tune it to around 350 hp........
Old 01-26-17, 11:43 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought mine used also (with only 16k on the odo). The GS hits that sweet spot of performance, reliability and practicality. My only issue is the rapidly falling bluebook values and the dated user interface designs. With that said, I'm extremely happy with the purchase and plan to hold on to it for a long time.

Like many other ex-BMW owners, I've learned my lessons of painful ownership and have finished my "European Tour" (for now).
Old 01-26-17, 11:53 AM
DJP333
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here are the Motortrend reviews that had me sold:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/...luxury-sedans/

I came from an IS350 that I use to speed around in and I still really appreciate the performance of my GS350 F Sport. It really is a perfect blend of luxury and performance. In Sport mode the power delivery is more than adequate for regular driving conditions, and the car feels light and nimble during high speed turns. Overall I'm very satisfied.
Old 01-26-17, 12:05 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeMan
So if you'd ask me a few years ago I would never probably have considered Lexus outside of an ISF. To me the performance wasn't their.
Anyhow fast forward to now where the IS-F is gone and the RC-F is lacking 2 doors for my liking and we move to the GS-F which is WAY over priced!!
Part of my thought about looking for an GS350 F Sport, I like the looks of the car, reliability, and it seems to have decent power. Just curious on any feedback on this vehicle. I have a Charger R/T now which is affordable and has decent power but it does lack the refinement and reliability of luxury cars.
I can speak to this personally since I came from a Charger R/T last September. It was the best decision that I have made when it comes to purchasing a car. The performance is ten times better and no comparison in regards to the Charger. Even though you're coming from a V8, you won't be able to tell a difference in the lighter and quicker GS350 F Sport. The ability to switch in between 3 driving mode options is another reason why performance is better. The comfort and luxurious feel of the inside is another reason for me to make that move as well. The Charger just doesn't compare in any category. You should find great deals on 13-15 models, unless you just want to a brand new car. Just my 2cents.
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (02-10-17)
Old 01-26-17, 12:34 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought mine with ~20k on the odometer. Been a fan of the GS since 2006. Definitely a nice combination of performance/reliability/luxury!
corpnupe85 (02-10-17)
Old 01-26-17, 12:51 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I have a non-F sport GS that I bought certified about two years ago. The car has been flawless and an absolute pleasure to drive and highly recommend the GS lineup

If you are considering buying a brand new GS350 F-Sport and you feel its underpowered when you test drive it, then consider a lightly used, certified 2016 GS F. It has a 467hp V8 available in RWD only (compared to 311hp for a standard 2017 GS350). A brand new 2017 GS350 F Sport will be close to $60k out the door price (if there are no incentives) while a used/certified 2016 GS F will be in the mid-$60s.

For most people, the GS350 Premium/Luxury/F sport variants check all the boxes for day-to-day driving. For those enthusiasts where its just not enough...the V8 GS F steps it up in almost every department.
Old 01-26-17, 02:08 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That previously mentioned 2012 Motor Trend review that put the GS #1 said it all. Now, some of those other cars have stepped up their game since, but that does not mean the GS is now no good!

Frankly I've owned Porsches, MBZ E Class, BMW 540i, and still have an Infiniti G Coupe. Our '16 Lexus F Sport is the best combination of sport and luxury I have come across. The very definition of a sports sedan. The 311 hp is more than adequate and enough for fun spirited driving in S/S+......unless you want a drag racer....than get another car.

I am most impressed with the AVS suspension, which by the way adjusts the ride at all times....not just in S+....S+ is just firmer. We had a '15 GS non-F sport previously, and I cannot believe how much better the F Sport is, the ride is totally different in the best possible way.

I also have seen people complain about engine noise.....that I don't get at all?
Old 01-26-17, 04:24 PM
DodgeMan
Driver School Candidate

Great responses. I too believe the 311hp should be adequate enough. My only gripe is I can buy an SRT Charger for 55k or less and it'll have great handeling luxury features and 485 hp. Is it a need ? No.
I also feel they should have made the car have 350-400 hp somewhere in that range. (The Infiniti Red Sport is 400.) Non the less I feel it's a great car judging off the looks alone.
I also think the GSF would be a great choice, but the prices for those things are absolutely ridiculous.
The darn F Sport should cost about 50k.

To the other person that had an R/T what year was it?
I too believe 311 is enough power, but I want more.
i was actually hoping they'd bring back the ISF....? Any clues on that? They say it wasn't selling well then they drop a GSF....
Old 01-26-17, 04:28 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Great responses. I too believe the 311hp should be adequate enough. My only gripe is I can buy an SRT Charger for 55k or less and it'll have great handeling luxury features and 485 hp. Is it a need ? No.
I also feel they should have made the car have 350-400 hp somewhere in that range. (The Infiniti Red Sport is 400.) Non the less I feel it's a great car judging off the looks alone.
I also think the GSF would be a great choice, but the prices for those things are absolutely ridiculous.
The darn F Sport should cost about 50k.

To the other person that had an R/T what year was it?
I too believe 311 is enough power, but I want more.
i was actually hoping they'd bring back the ISF....? Any clues on that? They say it wasn't selling well then they drop a GSF....
Im sure you'll feel comparable differences between the two models but you won't be disappointed. I literally got my 2016 GS F Sport that day it came out...I have not been anything less than satisfied. There's a lot of great owners and excellent mods in this whole forum...you'll def find the things you'll need with all these enthusiasts! Best of luck brother!

Last edited by Chavez562; 02-11-17 at 04:56 PM.
corpnupe85 (02-10-17)
Old 01-26-17, 08:09 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I had to add emphasis, that cracks me up! Lexus definitely hits the reliability in luxury cars, and Audi has made good strides, but Acura is no better than Honda, and BMW, Mercedes, and Land Rover are legendary for their ever-busy mechanics.

I've spent some time in a Charger R/T and Challenger SRT-8. First thing I've got to say is, no matter how I may enjoy the mechanical aspects of those cars such as HP, I am always significantly relieved and have lower blood pressure when I step out of the car and distance myself from their UConnect (U do NOT Connect!) system. O...M...F...G.

Every time I get in my GS, I feel so relaxed. It does not dazzle or otherwise intrude upon my being, rather it is a sophisticated elegance that may seem plain or simple to some, but is quite well thought out and at peace with my being.

Last edited by spoogenet; 01-26-17 at 08:09 PM. Reason: fix tpyos
Old 01-26-17, 09:40 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well you can't really compare a muscle car (i.e. Charger, etc.) to any of these sports sedans. If you want a high horse power sports sedan for about the same sticker price as the GS350 F Sport, get a Cadillac CTS V-Sport....420 HP. When I was recently shopping for a new car, I drove all the sports sedans and the CTS V Sport blew them all away. It was basically like a 4 door Corvette with all the same luxury as the GS. It was the most impressive sedan I've ever driven. Only reason I didn't buy the CTS is because there was very little discount off the $60K sticker and terrible lease deals. No 20% off sticker like I got on the '16 GS F Sport and/or about $300/mo more on a lease for CTS V-Sport.
Old 01-26-17, 11:51 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only Dodge (Chrysler) car that I regret selling in lieu of my GS was my '13 Chrysler 300 SRT8. They no longer make them, but that was a nice car with great hp. I sold it however, when gas was over $4.00 and I was seeing real world mpg of about 12 on my commute. Still miss that car, though...
Old 01-27-17, 07:17 AM
DodgeMan
Driver School Candidate

Is there a redesign coming up for the GS in another year or 2?
I also heard it was to be d/c'd all together.
One final question where are you folks fining 20k off sticker on the GS F Sport?

Quick Reply: Torn