GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery removal and car settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 10:17 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Battery removal and car settings

Do you loose your settings and presets after disconnecting the battery? Do you have to use one of these http://a.co/4HZgxXA ?
Old 01-21-17, 10:20 AM
sueszo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will lose the settings if you disconnect the battery. I just used the setting saver you referred to in your post to replace a battery in my Chevrolet and it worked perfectly.I feel it was worth the $10 purchase from Amazon
Old 01-22-17, 04:24 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sueszo
You will lose the settings if you disconnect the battery. I just used the setting saver you referred to in your post to replace a battery in my Chevrolet and it worked perfectly.I feel it was worth the $10 purchase from Amazon
Yup, have used one of these also. Worth it.
Old 01-22-17, 06:42 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All a "memory saver" does is it keeps 12 volts on your car's electrical system while the old battery is being removed. You can do the same thing by using jumper cables to connect a good 12 volt battery from another car to the jumper terminals on the car you are removing the old battery from. After the new battery has been installed and hooked up, remove the jumper cables. No voltage interruption = no lost memory data.
Old 01-22-17, 09:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
All a "memory saver" does is it keeps 12 volts on your car's electrical system while the old battery is being removed. You can do the same thing by using jumper cables to connect a good 12 volt battery from another car to the jumper terminals on the car you are removing the old battery from. After the new battery has been installed and hooked up, remove the jumper cables. No voltage interruption = no lost memory data.
Correct. But even easier is to just use jumper cables from the old battery (that is being replaced) to the battery terminals on the car. Then, once the new battery is connected to the terminals the parallel connected old battery and the jumper cables can be removed. The old battery was still able to deliver 12 volts to retain the car settings so there is no reason not to use it for the same purpose of retaining settings until the new battery is connected. All that is really needed is 5 volts with very minimal amperage capacity to retain settings.