GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bolt for oil pan - need to be changed often?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 07:14 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bolt for oil pan - need to be changed often?!

The guy I go to for all my oil changes, for years, told me that the bolt for the oil pan tends to go bad on the Lexus. He said its best to change the bolt every 2-3 oil changes. He said because of the black rubber washer tends to tear which would cause a small oil leak? Is he bull*****ting me to charge me a little extra every few oil changes or what?
Old 01-10-17, 07:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Only the oil drain gasketed washer needs to be changed, preferably at each oil change. The oil pan bolt itself should never need replacing...
The following users liked this post:
Chapp (03-08-21)
Old 01-10-17, 08:14 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GSLexTexas
The guy I go to for all my oil changes, for years, told me that the bolt for the oil pan tends to go bad on the Lexus. He said its best to change the bolt every 2-3 oil changes. He said because of the black rubber washer tends to tear which would cause a small oil leak? Is he bull*****ting me to charge me a little extra every few oil changes or what?
only the drain plug gasket should be changed every oil change u do. best is use the blue colored drain plug gasket cause it get crushed when u tighten so u wont over tight the drain plug and strip it. the other color is the black color one those are very hard to crush when u tighten the oil drain plug, so I don't ask for those.
Old 01-11-17, 09:22 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Only the oil drain gasketed washer needs to be changed, preferably at each oil change. The oil pan bolt itself should never need replacing...
The Toyota plugs that I got have a black washer as part of the bolt. The washers are not replaceable. Are you referring to generic drain bolts and using regular round oil gasket washers? I've been using the same bolt for about 3 changes, then replacing the bolt due to reasons mentioned above when the black washer insert gets flattened. Is there a way to replace just that black washer within a stock bolt?
Old 01-11-17, 10:02 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
The Toyota plugs that I got have a black washer as part of the bolt. The washers are not replaceable. Are you referring to generic drain bolts and using regular round oil gasket washers? I've been using the same bolt for about 3 changes, then replacing the bolt due to reasons mentioned above when the black washer insert gets flattened. Is there a way to replace just that black washer within a stock bolt?
that black washer is called the drain plug gasket and should be replace every oil change u do.
Old 01-12-17, 04:24 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
that black washer is called the drain plug gasket and should be replace every oil change u do.
We must be using different style drain plugs. The gaskets on some are not remove able/replaceable and therefore the entire plug must be changed.
Old 01-12-17, 07:20 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

The washer should come off on the stock drain bolt. It might take some effort depending on how badly it's been crushed out of shape. I guess that's why Toyota switched to the paper type crush washer.
Old 01-12-17, 07:54 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird... the drain bolt on my 2006 IS and my wife's 2015 RX has replaceable "crush" washers (blue colored). I haven't changed the oil on my 2016 GS yet, but I would assume it's the same. Looks like you have a different drain bolt. Can you spin the washer on your bolt but can't remove it from the threads? Or is the washer affixed to the bolt itself?

Last edited by ULTiMaX99; 01-12-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 08:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-12-17, 09:06 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does the dealership charge for the above?
Old 01-12-17, 09:41 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedtaco
My parts guy always tosses one in the box when buying an oil filter, no charge. It's basically just a paper gasket.
Old 01-12-17, 10:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wickedtaco
For the above what? An oil pan drain plug bolt, an oil drain plug gasket, or for an oil & filter change?

Last edited by bclexus; 01-12-17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-13-17, 12:28 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pricing

pricing minus the oil and filter change.
Old 01-13-17, 04:00 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We must be using different style drain plugs. The gaskets on some are not remove able/replaceable and therefore the entire plug must be changed.
I remember the first time I changed the oil on my wife's RX350, I thought it was odd that there appeared to be no crush washer/gasket, then I looked closely at the drain pan and it was stuck to it. The next time I changed the oil, it stuck to the oil drain bolt. Wondering if it yours is stuck to the bolt and it appears like there is no washer/gasket?
Old 01-17-17, 08:27 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The washer on my bolt is black. I didn't see a blue washer at all.

Quick Reply: Bolt for oil pan - need to be changed often?!