GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

It's a sauna on wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 06:49 AM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof drains and others.

I purchased the car in mid-September. Noticed in October the carpet was damp. Called Lexus Service and was told the carpets could be wet from their detail shop. November car still damp. Then we had snow and ice and they graveled all the main roads. Quit driving car except limited use on weekends. December car really wet. Lexus said they've never have seen this model leak. Idle car in driveway heat on high and used buckets of damp dry in car plus space heaters. Made multiple calls to my Service Advisor and never got a return call. We have no fir or pine trees trees where I live. At work, car underground parking. I still am convinced IF the drains are plugged, they were that way when I got it. Car has never had debris or needles on it since I've owned. I looked at the sunroof channels and perfectly clean. The previous owner lived in Washington State and drove the car a lot. If things are plugged up, not done while I've owned it. I am positive. I only have 1300 miles on the car since my purchase because I don't like driving a car that steams up. Having a stack of towels on the seat to wipe the windows clear is ridiculous.

Now I've driven the car to work a couple of days this week. It has been raining non-stop! So I need to check out the carpets again. Sunroof still sealed off. I don't know where the other drains are for the front cowl. I wish you all could look at my car. It's a really clean example for having 50K miles. I've peeled back the rubber trim where pine needles would get stuck and none. The good news is the car appears to be drying out. Windows are clear. We are going to look at some other brands when I get over the Flu.
Old 03-24-17, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

So the dealer never looked to see if the sunroof drains are clogged?
Old 03-24-17, 06:37 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Leak testing.

The Dealer said they did leak testing. I don't know what that entailed? Anyway, I have an appointment on April 9th with a Sunroof shop. They have a full-time employee that does nothing but leak testing. Another really good shop says they can fix it but are booked until mid-June. Idiots here crash their cars here when we get a bit of ice and snow. The highways looked like a destruction derby. Pretty funny except it makes everyone's insurance rates escalate. So body shops will be busy for months. BTW, Lexus did tell me that plugged drains are very common. So, if you are selling a Certified Car, wouldn't "checking" the drains be part of the certification process? Just saying. Another option is selling the car to a wholesale lot such as Car Max. Take the loss to get it out of my hair. Too bad I didn't rent (lease) a Lexus instead.
Old 03-24-17, 07:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
The Dealer said they did leak testing. I don't know what that entailed?
kitra - what you are saying is very confusing.

In a previous post you said; "I've been told by Lexus of Portland that any plugged drains will be on my pocketbook." But now you are saying that the dealer has done leak testing on your car, but you don't know what that entailed. So, did the dealer change their mind about leak testing without charging you? Or, was the dealer really going to leak test your car at no charge, but charge you only if they found a plugged drain? That's very strange!

Are you sure the dealer really did do a leak test of the drains in your car? Did the dealer tell you the results of their leak test? If they did tell you the results, were any drains in your car plugged...or possibly disconnected from the outlet that empties water to the exterior?

Why (and when) did the dealer tell you that you would be charged if any plugged drains were found? The dealer has now already leak tested according to you, so they obviously know the results of their test... What did they find with the test? Was anything wrong found?

Last edited by bclexus; 03-24-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 08:42 AM
kitra
Driver

Default Leak testing.

Apparently they found no plugged drains? All I have is "leak tested car and no leaks found". The sunroof shop I talked to said it would be extremely rare for the sunroof drains to plug on such a new model car. They said even if it were fir needle exposure, they wouldn't slip by the sunroof seal unless it was opened. They said it's normally the front or rear glass or broken body seams of the car has been wrecked. Also, I posted the wrong date. I have an appointment with them on 4/7/2017. Sorry for the confusion but I'm confused myself. I did find a rubber plug on the firewall, drivers side, that's very loose. I popped it out and sprayed a hose and it pours into the driver's foot well. So I will silicone it in but doubt it's got anything to do with the issue, just a possible source. Right now, the back carpets seem to have gotten wetter. I need to figure out how to removed the back bench seat. I don't see any bolts to remove.
Old 03-25-17, 11:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,418 Posts

kitra - Do you know if your car has ever been in an accident?
Old 03-25-17, 06:37 PM
kitra
Driver

As far as I know, no accidents. I see no signs of repaint - over spray, tape lines, etc. This would also be a very difficult color to repaint and have it look right. The bright white metallic ( I don't know to correct name but I think color code 083). I'd like to say a Certified car would be accident free but my friend just bought an ES-300H Certified and found the hood, bumper, and right front fender was replaced and repainted. On mine, I'm about 95% certain no accidents. I have a way to find the original owner (lease) so maybe I should pursue that and possibly talk to them about the car. Taping off the sunroof didn't stop the leak. I still wonder if the replacement front windshield is the culprit, even though I can't get it to fail a bubble test? I'd like to remove the back seat so I can see if water under there. I made another post asking how to remove the rear bench seat. If it turns out to be dry under the back seat, and the sunroof taping did not stop the leak, I'd probably gamble on a new windshield. I got a price from a reputable shop of $670 installed.
Old 03-25-17, 06:49 PM
kitra
Driver

I have another question? My car has the Cold Weather package. :-). This includes a windshield wiper de-icer. It appears that my Pilkington glass windshield doesn't have a heater grid for the wipers. Do heater wiper de-icers have a grid on the glass?
Old 03-25-17, 07:51 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently they found no plugged drains? All I have is "leak tested car and no leaks found".
Am I missing something here? "leak testing" and testing for "plugged drains" are two completely different things. You do "leak testing" when you suspect your windshield (among other things) is allowing water to infiltrate through places that are supposed to be sealed. You test for "plugged drains" when water is not draining from the built-in drains, such as the holes at the bottom of the doors, the evaporator coil drain hose or the drain hoses from the sunroof. The dealership should be especially adept at finding "plugged" or clogged drains because they know where those drains are located. Water leaks can be a little hard to find because they can potentially be anywhere, but a good burst of compressed air should clear any clogged drains.
Old 03-26-17, 09:53 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have another question? My car has the Cold Weather package. :-). This includes a windshield wiper de-icer. It appears that my Pilkington glass windshield doesn't have a heater grid for the wipers. Do heater wiper de-icers have a grid on the glass?
Yes, if you have the wiper deicer, there is a grid in the glass. It's hard to see with the reflection of my garage ceiling, but I have the wipers popped up and lifted. The pic is upside down, but you can see the metallic strips in the windshield where the wipers normally rest.
Attached Thumbnails It's a sauna on wheels.-wind3.jpg  
Old 03-26-17, 08:53 PM
kitra
Driver

OK, Spideyman1. Thanks you! My windshield wiper defroster did not function during our bout of inclement weather. Turns out my windshield does NOT have the defroster grids, just a black mask. My car does have the cold weather package yet my windshield doesn't support it. So, if I have it correct, Lexus certified my car with one of the factory options not being available/functional. Wouldn't a certified car require that all of the standard and optional equipment be functional? With this, I have what I need to go to the top, if need be - "The Oregon Attorney General's Office". Since the Lexus Corporate Customer Service Department sided with the Dealer, what options do I really have? I have a Service Appointment next Saturday for the 6 month service. I could bring it up then, however, they typically do not have a Service Manager on weekends, IIRC.

Does this change my odds in getting the vehicle's aftermarket windshield replaced? I suspect it's where the leak is originating from too.
Old 03-26-17, 09:00 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmm that might your ticket to getting a new windshield. Only problem is it's been a few weeks since you purchased the car and at this point, the dealership might be less fond of you and less willing to replace the windshield on their own dime. It doesn't hurt to start there though. As others have said, being courteous but firm is key.
Old 03-27-17, 03:04 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

..... Wouldn't a certified car require that all of the standard and optional equipment be functional? .......Does this change my odds in getting the vehicle's aftermarket windshield replaced? I suspect it's where the leak is originating from too.
I am no lawyer, but this isn't even an issue of a function of the car not working, there is no way it could work because of the windshield not being correct for that particular car. I believe you have an excellent case for having the windshield replaced with the correct one (unless Lexus or the dealer will try to say you replaced it after you took delivery.) If the water source turns out to be clogged sunroof drains then that's going to be tough to force them to cover that because there is no way to tell/prove when the debris clogged the drain (after you took delivery or prior.)

Good luck, I know it is beyond frustrating dealing with this on a new (to you) vehicle. I hope you get it worked out soon!
Old 03-27-17, 07:10 AM
kitra
Driver

I'm not sure I want to endure the stress or excuses from them on why they cannot make it right. The windshield is clearly the wrong one for this vehicle. If I get time at work today, I will call the Oregon Attorney General's office. This is clearly in violation of a certified vehicle to have a non-working option. I called Sales at Lexus yesterday and the Salesman I talked (my Salesman wasn't in) to told me that part of the certification process is to make sure the vehicle and its options are 100% functional.
Old 03-27-17, 07:46 AM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd call or write a letter to the owner of the dealer and tell him your story. They should at a minimum replace the windshield no questions asked as it's CPO. Might get lucky and it will fix the issue.

Quick Reply: It's a sauna on wheels.