GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

It's a sauna on wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

If you have HUD the windshield is more expensive. $1,500 is right for a non HUD windshield.
Old 03-02-17, 05:38 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to give you an update on on 2014 GS-350 F-Sport. I took it to the Dealer yesterday, 3-1-2017. They supplied me a 2017 ES-350 loaner in which I really like. Anyway, they spent time today troubleshooting the leak. The Service Advisor emailed me this evening saying the sunroof drains are clear. They did some other testing and came up empty. He said they'd like to keep the car another day. I was a little disappointed when he told me that "sunroof drain" issues are not covered by the CPO warranty (as they are a maintenance item) or by the Lexus extended warranty we purchased. He also said there is zero coverage on the Windshield leaking since it's was replaced by the previous lessee with a non-Lexus brand. They suspect the windshield is the source of the leak but haven't proven that yet. If the windshield is leaking, it's going to be on my pocketbook. I had no idea that a CPO car had exclusions. I assumed since Lexus certified the vehicle, it was certified throughout. Was I wrong. I'm not sure what to do if they say the windshield needs resealing/replacing. The link below is pictures of my car's inside glass. I had the car dried out pretty good when I took it in so they're having trouble finding the moisture source.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/1990...il_share_media
Old 03-02-17, 08:37 PM
Longevite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That's too much water!

Originally Posted by kitra
I just wanted to give you an update on on 2014 GS-350 F-Sport. I took it to the Dealer yesterday, 3-1-2017. They supplied me a 2017 ES-350 loaner in which I really like. Anyway, they spent time today troubleshooting the leak. The Service Advisor emailed me this evening saying the sunroof drains are clear. They did some other testing and came up empty. He said they'd like to keep the car another day. I was a little disappointed when he told me that "sunroof drain" issues are not covered by the CPO warranty (as they are a maintenance item) or by the Lexus extended warranty we purchased. He also said there is zero coverage on the Windshield leaking since it's was replaced by the previous lessee with a non-Lexus brand. They suspect the windshield is the source of the leak but haven't proven that yet. If the windshield is leaking, it's going to be on my pocketbook. I had no idea that a CPO car had exclusions. I assumed since Lexus certified the vehicle, it was certified throughout. Was I wrong. I'm not sure what to do if they say the windshield needs resealing/replacing. The link below is pictures of my car's inside glass. I had the car dried out pretty good when I took it in so they're having trouble finding the moisture source.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/1990...il_share_media
The moisture look nasty, I wouldn't take the car back unless they fixed the issue, or contact Lexus Corp about it.
Old 03-02-17, 09:10 PM
kitra
Driver

Yes, it's not really drivable this way. Purchased in mid-September and only 1200 miles of driving. It was a high-mileage lease return - just short of 50K miles). If they can't fix it, I'll need to part with it as it rains a lot here in Oregon and currently do not have a usable garage to keep it dry. People at work think it's pretty funny I have a stack of white towels on the passenger seat to wipe the windows off with. They also know I've always driven Nordic Cars and going Japanese was a real stretch for me. I went this route purely for "trouble-free ownership". Despite Lexus Service never returning my voice-mails over the past few months, my Service Advisor does appear to be my advocate. So I am feeling much better than I was about Lexus Service.

A friend of mine that does HVAC work suggested he tape over all the vents, pressure vent for trunk if there is one, fresh air cabin intake and then fill the interior of the car with Freon. He said his leak detectors go down to the low PPM range and he will find the leak. Of course Freon is fairly expensive and the EPA doesn't like it released into the environment. I do give him credit for a great idea. I imagine the interior could be pressurized and soaped outside to look for bubbles too. On a better note, the weather should improve in the next few months and it will stay dry.
Old 03-03-17, 07:49 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

While lots of discussion on the windshield, have you checked the trunk area?
Old 03-10-17, 08:07 PM
kitra
Driver

I took my GS to the Lexus Dealer. They were provided the same pictures that I posted here. My loaner was a brand new 2017 ES-350. Nice car but a bit sloppy in the handling department. They had my car for 3 working days and over a weekend. My Service Advisor really became my advocate. I'm very pleased with his professionalism and trying to make it right. A+ for effort. They tested the sunroof drains, trunk, windshield, rear window, doors, etc. The verdict - no leaks found. And so how is the car now? Well, I haven't seen any signs of moisture. We've had a lot of rain so I will drive it tomorrow and see if it steams up. The Service Advisor said he will keep on this until they get it right. So this is a big turnaround from the initial contact with Lexus. Kind of nice driving it when I can see out.
Old 03-12-17, 08:43 PM
kitra
Driver

Vehicle not steamed up. Temperature outside, 52 - 64 degrees today. Pulled out front and rear floor mats. Carpet quite damp. Leather seats feel damp. Would love to be able to lift up the carpet and look under it but not sure how or for that matter, how to do it without damaging anything. Still wondering if the aftermarket windshield is the source of the leak?
Old 03-14-17, 06:06 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Saga continues.

So last update, damp carpets. Sent Service Advisor an email since that seems to work. Did that on Monday. Tuesday and no word yet. I suspect he isn't calling because either too busy, has time-off, or doesn't know what to do next. I checked the trunk of the car and bone-dry. So I'm very disappointed thus far. If this is Lexus's "Persuit Of Perfection" - they have a lot of work to do. My first Toyota product and likely my last. So far, their Service and Attitude is no better than other Automobile manufacturers. FIAT/Chrysler (FCA) has treated us very good with some issues on our Grand Cherokee.
Old 03-14-17, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't let this color your perception of Toyota or Lexus as a brand. This is clearly not a common issue, and your car was used and not new. Many things could have happened to it before you bought it that you would have no knowledge of.
Old 03-15-17, 05:51 AM
kitra
Driver

SW15LS, I thought about what I wrote last night a lot and I agree with you. I bought the car so I wouldn't have problems and it didn't work out as planned. It could very well be the windshield the prior owner installed is the source of the leak. I just wish Lexus would fix it, even if it isn't an OEM windshield and work out a deal to get it resolved. Share in the cost of the repair, etc. Since I spent good money for the car, if they truly cannot fix it, then I wish they'd offer me another vehicle. It's really raining out here all week. So I need to check and see if the car got wet again inside.
Old 03-18-17, 11:21 AM
kitra
Driver

Default Not sure what to do next?

I spoke to the Service Advisor again and they are at a loss. I think I might some mold/mildew issues now? I need a borescope so I can look under the carpet without having to remove it. Lexus doesn't know what to do next? I removed the trim around the windshield and water tested the best I could with soapy water and pressurizing the cabin some. No leaks detected. I drove the car this morning and the leather seat felt very damp. The carpets have dried out some but overall, this is a total drag. I've got 3 large pails of "Damp Dry" in the car now. I was searching for Lexus Customer Service and found a "Get Human" site. They claim they will call Lexus and work for you for $30. A gimmick?

Any advise besides taking the car to a wholesaler and see if they would buy it from me.
Old 03-18-17, 11:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would call 1-800-25-LEXUS and lodge your complaint, and I would tell the dealers GM that you want to work out a deal where you can trade out of this car into another car. Clearly this car has some issue they can't solve, and if it's that damp you will absolutely have mold, and that becomes a health issue.
Old 03-18-17, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And since it was CPO, I would expect them to stand behind the car and trade you into another car without it costing you a fortune. Stay calm and professional, but very stern about what a satisfactory outcome for you is (another car)
Old 03-18-17, 09:59 PM
kitra
Driver

Smile I called Lexus Customer Service Today.

My first call, the Gal had a very heavy accent. I finally told her I would have to call back. Called again and got Michelle, in Texas. Very nice. We discussed the issue and she finally commented how calm and passive I am. Anyway, maybe being calm is not getting me anywhere? So Michelle asked what I would like Lexus to do? I said fix the car but I'm also very concerned the moisture is doing damage, including mildew/mold. She said "maybe we need to get you into another vehicle?". I said that would be great. I also told her the Service Advisor said to locate the leak issue, they may have to strip the interior of the vehicle. I told Michelle I don't want that because it will never be the same after they put it all back together. Things may not fit the same, have scratches, etc. Told her of the aftermarket windshield that is no covered under CPO. I would be willing to "share some of the costs" to get a genuine Lexus glass installed if that will get things moving. She is going to assign a case to someone at Lexus to manage the issue for me since I work so many hours. I don't know if anything positive will become of this but I felt much better after the conversation. Appreciate the advice. Waiting.....
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-19-17)
Old 03-19-17, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't have indicated any willingness to repair your current car or share in any costs...

Quick Reply: It's a sauna on wheels.