GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My solution to the missing sunglass holder and a bonus life hack!

Old 01-07-17, 01:37 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Center-C...RYCtXp&vxp=mtr

It took forever to arrive, but seems to be worth it.
Great idea! Thanks for the link.
Old 01-07-17, 01:50 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

That was a horrible idea, both for the sunglasses holder and the tissue box! Looks like a cluttered mess! But then again, that is your car.
Old 01-07-17, 02:06 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL great responses guys. I am actually trying to convince myself to not have the need to buy and drive a minivan. But because I have children it gets tiresome to constantly put my glasses in a case and into door compartment or center console and take it out and wear it again 40 times a day. I have multiple business so constantly in and out of the car aside from picking kids up from school and to swim class and back to little league and back to home. And children are mess generators. Always spilling something or vomiting all over the place when they are sick. Anyways as ugly as it is the convenience more than makes up for it in my opinion. What really bothered me more is when i had my glasses in a case in side door or center console it slides around and makes alot of noise making the driving experiance very annoying. If you think interior dash rattles is bad, stuff sliding around is worst, at lease this setup is silent.

I figured there would be more Dads in here that also feel my pain. If Lexus would get it right and build a car with sunglass holders i would not be here making this post. We need to all write letters to Lexus and demand these issues fixed on next gen Lexus's
Old 01-07-17, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Lets put it this way...I wouldn't do that in my minivan. In the Sedona we have two clips like the one I posted above, one on each visor. One for her sunglasses one for mine (it has no sunglass holder either). Way less obtrusive than your setup, and just as convenient.

Heres a picture:

I'm a dad and I'm in and out of the car a bunch during the day too. For one I just lay my sunglasses and gloves and such on the passenger seat. Only time I put them away is when somebody gets in the car.

And whats the need for a big box of tissues?

As for the sunglass holder. I have one in the LS, but my sunglasses don't fit (the sunglasses can't be a wraparound type style), so I'm back to making do just like I did in the GS.
Old 01-07-17, 02:20 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lets put it this way...I wouldn't do that in my minivan. In the Sedona we have two clips like the one I posted above, one on each visor. One for her sunglasses one for mine (it has no sunglass holder either). Way less obtrusive than your setup, and just as convenient.

Heres a picture:

I'm a dad and I'm in and out of the car a bunch during the day too. For one I just lay my sunglasses and gloves and such on the passenger seat. Only time I put them away is when somebody gets in the car.

And whats the need for a big box of tissues?

As for the sunglass holder. I have one in the LS, but my sunglasses don't fit (the sunglasses can't be a wraparound type style), so I'm back to making do just like I did in the GS.
Steve, i had a setup like yours before I went with this and the only reason I didn't continue continue using it is because of dust. I have to constantly clean my sunglasses because dust like to collect on them when they are in the open like that. When its in a case it keeps glass dust free longer.

And your right, your solution looks better.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 01-07-17 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I've never had that issue...my glasses get smudged and such way before they get dusty.

I'd still much rather wipe dust off my glasses every once and a while than do that to my interior...
Old 01-07-17, 02:30 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Anyone have successfully installed one of these?

Old 01-07-17, 03:23 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

eBay:

Thanks for the link!
Old 01-07-17, 04:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Anyone have successfully installed one of these?

Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of. Apparently replacing the grab handle with a sunglasses holder made for another vehicle is easier contemplated than accomplished.

If someone could modify a sunglasses holder to easily replace the grab handle - I suspect they could easily sell a bunch of them.
Old 01-07-17, 05:05 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of. Apparently replacing the grab handle with a sunglasses holder made for another vehicle is easier contemplated than accomplished.

If someone could modify a sunglasses holder to easily replace the grab handle - I suspect they could easily sell a bunch of them.
The link for grab handle sunglass holder I posted early in this thread has 2013 GS listed as a car compatible. It even has measurements between mounting points shown as 164 mm; so if someone would measure to verify then there is a good option for those who must have a sunglass holder in their car.
Old 01-07-17, 05:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The link for grab handle sunglass holder I posted early in this thread has 2013 GS listed as a car compatible. It even has measurements between mounting points shown as 164 mm; so if someone would measure to verify then there is a good option for those who must have a sunglass holder in their car.
Something tells me it won't fit - at least not without some degree of modification, but I can't be sure because it's difficult to determine what mechanical (clip system) connection is used...and how it may, or may not, match up.

Here is an image of what the grab handle connection looks like in a GS 350 (as posted by another member who was going to try to install a sunglasses holder in-place of the grab handle).

The member had ordered a Volvo sunglasses holder (for whatever it's worth) on eBay and this is what he said about his attempt to replace the grab handle with it; "I tried to line it up to see if it would fit, but couldn't really eye it up. So, I popped out front handle. By the way, not easy at all... I couldn't find anyway to make it work. First the length is too short to fit in the current holes. Also, the clip system works totally different. I spent about an hour trying to come up with a way to make it work, but finally gave up. If someone a lot smarter than me (not too difficult to achieve) can make it work, please let me know."

As you can see in the image below (that you provided the eBay link to) the sunglasses holder's mechanical (clip system) connection doesn't appear like it could be used with the GS 350 grab handle connection system. It looks to me more like this sunglasses holder is made to install using simple sheet metal screws, not to incorporate existing connection hardware from the grab handle.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-07-17 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 01:13 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
I understand the practical intent of this but man...from an aesthetic level that would kill the interior vibe of this car for me. It's got mini-van written all over it....
Lol mini van haha maybe he misses the mini van and want to have a similar feel in the GS just JK. Growing up I remember my dad used to have this in his corolla probably 15-20 years ago which I used to hate I clearly remember. Putting something like this in a GS naah I don't think so but everyone to their own it's ur car should do whatever pleases you instead of worrying about anyone else's opinion.
Old 01-09-17, 03:08 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did add a tray to my center console. Makes keeping things organized a lot easy. Plus my sunglasses stay on the "top level" so they are easy to get to. Insurance card, gloves, etc stay in the bottom area since they don't get used much.

very nice, was looking for something like this!
Old 01-09-17, 11:47 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

eBay:

The quality is good? No rattles?
Old 01-09-17, 09:59 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I want to play around with getting a sunglass holder in the grab handle location but can't figure out how to remove the grab handle. Anyone have any ideas? There are two notches on the side of each. I tried to pry it but it won't come off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My solution to the missing sunglass holder and a bonus life hack!