GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport Radiotor Grill Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 07:05 PM
DTieu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport Radiotor Grill Removal

Hey, The other day I was parking and accidentally hit the curb and hit the chrome piece around my bumper. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove it. I found some replacement ones, and tried taking it off myself, But couldn't get the top piece of the chrome off. I know they're just clips. Can anyone help me. I don't know if theirs a forums about this already. I have a 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport Radiotor Grill Removal-img_0476.jpg   2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport Radiotor Grill Removal-img_0477.jpg  
Old 01-06-17, 03:36 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened - figured folks would end up damaging more of the grille with the redesign since its so forward/prominent with the refresh.

What did you do to try to remove the top part of the chrome? When i installed a mesh grille on my '13 GS, there were two hidden screws behind the bumper that helped to secure the bottom edge of the grille.

Since the chrome trim on the '16 looks like it in 3 pieces, the top piece may actually be part of the mesh grille grille itself. You will likely need to remove the rubber molding and then carefully look at any bolts or screws that are holding the chrome trim/grille together with the bumper.

Take a look at the chrome surround on this listing on ebay for a late model IS350. It shows that the upper part of the grille trim has two small cylinder looking holes that would indicate a screw is hidden behind the bumper at the top two corners when looking at it from the engine side/rear...its likely very similar with the '16 GS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/nv60910-Lexu...dX0yNP&vxp=mtr
Old 01-06-17, 04:53 PM
DTieu1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Sorry to hear about what happened - figured folks would end up damaging more of the grille with the redesign since its so forward/prominent with the refresh.

What did you do to try to remove the top part of the chrome? When i installed a mesh grille on my '13 GS, there were two hidden screws behind the bumper that helped to secure the bottom edge of the grille.

Since the chrome trim on the '16 looks like it in 3 pieces, the top piece may actually be part of the mesh grille grille itself. You will likely need to remove the rubber molding and then carefully look at any bolts or screws that are holding the chrome trim/grille together with the bumper.

Take a look at the chrome surround on this listing on ebay for a late model IS350. It shows that the upper part of the grille trim has two small cylinder looking holes that would indicate a screw is hidden behind the bumper at the top two corners when looking at it from the engine side/rear...its likely very similar with the '16 GS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/nv60910-Lexu...dX0yNP&vxp=mtr
Yeah, last night I ordered the two chrome pieces, so I'll see how it's looks in the back. I just don't want to take it to the dealership and they charge me 200 just to install it.
Old 01-06-17, 06:50 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DTieu1
Yeah, last night I ordered the two chrome pieces, so I'll see how it's looks in the back. I just don't want to take it to the dealership and they charge me 200 just to install it.
The dealership will overcharge. They may even break a clip or two themselves. I called my dealership once to get a quote on installing the f-sport grille on my non-f sport IS350 and they said something like $300. I did it myself in about 40min and bought the parts myself.
Def. try to do it yourself...Let us know how it turns out.

Beautiful ride btw
Old 01-06-17, 07:22 PM
DTieu1
Driver School Candidate

The dealership will overcharge. They may even break a clip or two themselves. I called my dealership once to get a quote on installing the f-sport grille on my non-f sport IS350 and they said something like $300. I did it myself in about 40min and bought the parts myself.
Def. try to do it yourself...Let us know how it turns out.

Beautiful ride btw
Thank you buddy. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 03-13-20, 05:21 PM
Wiredog73
Driver School Candidate

Thank you buddy. Hopefully all goes well.

I’m having the same problem. How did it go for you?
Old 04-14-20, 11:09 AM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey, The other day I was parking and accidentally hit the curb and hit the chrome piece around my bumper. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove it. I found some replacement ones, and tried taking it off myself, But couldn't get the top piece of the chrome off. I know they're just clips. Can anyone help me. I don't know if theirs a forums about this already. I have a 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport.
Oh man. I did the same to my driver's side one. Were you able to get them replaced? Where did you order yours from? I have the Base GS350 and am hoping that it will be the same.

Sorry to resurrect almost 3 years old thread.

Old 04-14-20, 11:11 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You probably have to take the bumper off to remove that chrome trim without damaging anything.
Old 04-16-20, 11:15 AM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Peasodos is correct. I decided to try out the super wrap vinyl spray. Wanted a really clean look so I fully removed the trim.The entire front bumper has to be removed. Both left and right trims use 6 screws each. The top trim is secured by tabs and the corners of the left and right trim. I broke one of the corner tabs of the top trim and decided to buy another one.

I used this youtube video for reference. It's about the same process.
. Thanks to Rodney for making this video.

Front grill trim secured in 6 locations.

Front air dam needs to be removed (4 screws)to access one of the trim screws.

Blacked out grill and tinted badge.

Last edited by TAURUSSLVR; 04-16-20 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added youtube video for reference.
The following 3 users liked this post by TAURUSSLVR:
AJLex19 (04-16-20), pogi89 (06-30-20), websurfer (05-15-21)
Old 04-16-20, 11:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by TAURUSSLVR
Peasodos is correct. I decided to try out the super wrap vinyl spray. Wanted a really clean look so I fully removed the trim.The entire front bumper has to be removed. Both left and right trims use 6 screws each. The top trim is secured by tabs and the corners of the left and right trim. I broke one of the corner tabs of the top trim and decided to buy another one.

Nice job, I also ended up removing the chrome trim on my 2013 GS to wrap it perfectly. Took a couple tries but worth it in the end.
Old 04-17-20, 11:49 AM
tmac100
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I used this youtube video for reference. It's about the same process. https://youtu.be/4Gps3vuTIDA. Thanks to Rodney for making this video.

Where did you order the OEM chrome trim pieces from? Is the middle piece of the grill on a 16+ a separate piece altogether? Mine has a rock chip.
Old 04-17-20, 01:31 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a separate piece on the F Sport which is nice IMO because it's cheaper to just buy the piece you need. I bought it from the dealership for $55. I'm pretty sure you could probably find one cheaper online.
Old 04-17-20, 04:55 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

@tmac100 The chrome surround is three separate pieces on both the f-sport and standard grille (the only difference is the mesh vs slat style insert). The upper chrome piece is ~$40:

Old 04-17-20, 05:57 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

@tmac100 The chrome surround is three separate pieces on both the f-sport and standard grille (the only difference is the mesh vs slat style insert). The upper chrome piece is ~$40:

Hi Alex,
Can you please screen shot the chrome side molding section too? I am looking for the part number for those moldings for my car.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-20, 06:48 PM
tmac100
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a separate piece on the F Sport which is nice IMO because it's cheaper to just buy the piece you need. I bought it from the dealership for $55. I'm pretty sure you could probably find one cheaper online.

thanks guys!

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus GS350 F Sport Radiotor Grill Removal