GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tires and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 07:11 AM
GS350fSpt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and warranty

I know there have been numerous threads on here regarding tires and what fits best given the slim options. The consensus seems to be go bigger to save money and get a better tire. I agree and also appreciate those threads. My question is, does anyone know if it voids the warranty? We can argue all day that it doesn't change the handling, ride, etc but if something goes wrong with the transmission or engine will it be covered? Thoughts......
Old 01-03-17, 03:48 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I think the question lies more in line with each individual's comfort level with modifying wheels/tire sizes and suspensions/drops. The GS has wheel sizes from 17" to 19" with some AWD models with a non-staggered setup, while other AWD setups have a stock staggered setup similar to the RWD models. Rolling diameter is most important. Essentially take your OEM wheels specs, punch in your anticipated wheel/tire size changes to see how much of a difference it will make into a wheel calculator (http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator).

As far as warranty, if your drivetrain or suspension starts to show problems under warranty based on a mod you made, if you take it to the dealer you will need to put back your "stock" wheelset and hope they don't pick-up on the fact that the change was because of your modification...otherwise they won't honor any type of warranty. If you move one or two sizes up, you should be fine as long as you stay within the boundaries of Lexus recommendations - e.g. if you have 17" stock wheels and then upgrade to 19" staggered F-Sport wheels, you should be fine since the drivetrain you have has been tested within those specs. Anything beyond will require you to do the math with sizing/offsets/camber/rolling diameters/etc.

I was obsessing over this topic when i had my 2IS AWD. I never pulled the trigger but wished I had because my mechanic eventually just said to me "stop worrying so much, you have a Lexus differential with 40k miles CPO and you're only going up one size." I sold the IS and got a GS with bigger wheels standard.

Suspension/wheels/tires are tough because they tend to be wear/tear items which are typically excluded from most warranties unless you buy a warranty which EXPLICITLY states that it covers those items.