GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Continental DWS 06 tested

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 08:18 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Continental DWS 06 tested

just had the dws 06 installed over the weekend, size 245/40/19 front, 275/35/19 rear. Very pleased at the overall ride...they handle well, very quiet. I tried the original dws on my last car 2010 TL SH and was less then impressed and had them swapped out quick. The new version is a great fit for the GS F Sport. If you think you are the next Mario Andretti then this isn't the tire for you.

on a side note, I managed to squeeze 30k miles out of the Bridgestone 050's
Old 01-01-17, 12:23 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the DWS on my MazdaSpeed3 and liked it, the snow traction was good BUT the sidewalls were wayyy too soft, I've read that this has changed on the 06. What's your take between the two, specifically related to the sidewall stiffness?
Old 01-01-17, 02:32 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I had the DWS on my MazdaSpeed3 and liked it, the snow traction was good BUT the sidewalls were wayyy too soft, I've read that this has changed on the 06. What's your take between the two, specifically related to the sidewall stiffness?
that was the reason I took them back on my Acura, you can definitely tell they made the side walls stiffer on the 06...still, don't think it's going to be as firm as the Bridgestone 050, that is a one trick tire, and the dws 06 does give up some in that department, but the gains far outweigh that, but overall I really like the tire and it's so much quieter and no doubt will handle the rain and snow
Old 01-01-17, 05:13 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
that was the reason I took them back on my Acura, you can definitely tell they made the side walls stiffer on the 06...still, don't think it's going to be as firm as the Bridgestone 050, that is a one trick tire, and the dws 06 does give up some in that department, but the gains far outweigh that, but overall I really like the tire and it's so much quieter and no doubt will handle the rain and snow
Thanks! I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 on my BMW and LOVVVEEEE those tires. But the DWS06 may be an option on my wife's car at some point.
Old 01-01-17, 05:17 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you post some picture please? Any rubbing?Thanks
Old 01-01-17, 05:43 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Can you post some picture please? Any rubbing?Thanks

no rubbing, plenty of room...I will take a few pics when I clean her up
Old 01-01-17, 05:59 PM
Dbaliko
Rookie

Thumbs up

just had the dws 06 installed over the weekend, size 245/40/19 front, 275/35/19 rear. Very pleased at the overall ride...they handle well, very quiet. I tried the original dws on my last car 2010 TL SH and was less then impressed and had them swapped out quick. The new version is a great fit for the GS F Sport. If you think you are the next Mario Andretti then this isn't the tire for you.

on a side note, I managed to squeeze 30k miles out of the Bridgestone 050's
i have had these on my car for 16,000 miles now, and I'm very pleased with them.

Doug
Old 01-02-17, 02:56 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Trying to post pics, but Photobucket won't cooperate

Last edited by vinnier6; 01-02-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-02-17, 03:55 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Old 01-02-17, 04:28 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice rim, did you powercoat it? The tires look nice! The side wall look sporty

Old 01-02-17, 04:51 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The crafted line had black wheels from the factory.
They look good.
Old 01-02-17, 08:31 PM
atrac7
Driver

I see comfort and road noise as selling points for this...which is what I am looking for.

I had the pirelli p7 on my previous TL and I liked the balance of comfort and some handling. Can anyone chime in on if this set of continental tires are comparable?
Old 01-03-17, 08:03 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
I see comfort and road noise as selling points for this...which is what I am looking for.

I had the pirelli p7 on my previous TL and I liked the balance of comfort and some handling. Can anyone chime in on if this set of continental tires are comparable?
I purchased the Conti EC DWS 06, 245/40/19, a couple of months ago for my new AWD GS350. I narrowed my search down to the DWS 06 and the Pirelli P7, and it was essentially a toss-up. Ratings, reviews, etc. were stellar for both, and IIRC, may have swayed slightly in favor of ride and comfort for the P7, and traction in snow and rain for the DWS 06, but I may be mistaken and the differences in reviews and ratings between the two were slight anyway.

Tire store believed that these were the two best options for this car in the mid-Atlantic for an all-season tire. The DWS 06 were a good bit cheaper than the P7, and there was an additional $70 rebate on top of that. So that sort of sealed the deal for the DWS 06. Bottom line, I have been very pleased with the DWS 06, and have felt very comfortable on them for everyday use, and have felt safe on them alone and with my family in wet and snowy weather. Solid, reliable and affordable tires IMHO.
Old 01-03-17, 09:09 AM
atrac7
Driver

Originally Posted by jeffreyr
I purchased the Conti EC DWS 06, 245/40/19, a couple of months ago for my new AWD GS350. I narrowed my search down to the DWS 06 and the Pirelli P7, and it was essentially a toss-up. Ratings, reviews, etc. were stellar for both, and IIRC, may have swayed slightly in favor of ride and comfort for the P7, and traction in snow and rain for the DWS 06, but I may be mistaken and the differences in reviews and ratings between the two were slight anyway.

Tire store believed that these were the two best options for this car in the mid-Atlantic for an all-season tire. The DWS 06 were a good bit cheaper than the P7, and there was an additional $70 rebate on top of that. So that sort of sealed the deal for the DWS 06. Bottom line, I have been very pleased with the DWS 06, and have felt very comfortable on them for everyday use, and have felt safe on them alone and with my family in wet and snowy weather. Solid, reliable and affordable tires IMHO.
Thank you for the detailed response! Being down south in Texas, it seems the P7 is more suitable if the DWS 06 are geared more for traction/snow. However, i will comment that the sidewalls and overall "look" of the DWS seem to be more appealing. On my SH-AWD TL, the P7s's looked kind of bland if I remember correctly. This may be a tough decision for me.
Old 01-03-17, 10:26 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Thank you for the detailed response! Being down south in Texas, it seems the P7 is more suitable if the DWS 06 are geared more for traction/snow. However, i will comment that the sidewalls and overall "look" of the DWS seem to be more appealing. On my SH-AWD TL, the P7s's looked kind of bland if I remember correctly. This may be a tough decision for me.
If you don't need snow traction look for the Extreme Contact DW. Those have better dry and wet performance than the DWS since it's a summer tire.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS 06 tested