GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Made a mistake and stopped by Lexus dealer today...GS350 F Sport vs my 335i

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 03:20 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Made a mistake and stopped by Lexus dealer today...GS350 F Sport vs my 335i

I made the mistake of stopping by the Lexus dealer today, mostly looking for my wife but on the showroom floor was a 2017 GS350 F Sport in white with the saddle leather. Gorgeous car and I've been dealing with my love for the car since my first drive of the current gen two years ago. It drives SOOO much better than any previous lexus and better than anything else in the class except the Caddy products. By drive better I mean, more sporty, better suspension tuning, steering weight with decent feedback etc....

I'm giving serious consideration to trading my 335i when the 2016 CPOs start to roll in. What surprised me the most though was that there's not a lot more room in the GS for rear seat passengers. Maybe an inch or so of additional leg room. With front seats in both cars all the way back the rear legroom was identical (within an 8th of an inch) but the GS did have more front legroom. I didn't test drive today, I was afraid it might push me over the edge, but I do remember it was the drivetrain that turned me off a couple years ago. The 6 speed auto and the peaky power delivery in comparison with BMW's turbo 6 and Audi's supercharged 6 weren't doing it for me at the time...I'm thinking I could live with the GS NA V6 though, especially with the Toyota/Lexus reliability of that engine, I could run it hard all day and it'll never miss a beat....

Anyone gone from a 3 series (Preferably F30 current gen) to the GS? Thoughts?
Old 12-23-16, 04:15 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I made the mistake of stopping by the Lexus dealer today, mostly looking for my wife but on the showroom floor was a 2017 GS350 F Sport in white with the saddle leather. Gorgeous car and I've been dealing with my love for the car since my first drive of the current gen two years ago. It drives SOOO much better than any previous lexus and better than anything else in the class except the Caddy products. By drive better I mean, more sporty, better suspension tuning, steering weight with decent feedback etc....

I'm giving serious consideration to trading my 335i when the 2016 CPOs start to roll in. What surprised me the most though was that there's not a lot more room in the GS for rear seat passengers. Maybe an inch or so of additional leg room. With front seats in both cars all the way back the rear legroom was identical (within an 8th of an inch) but the GS did have more front legroom. I didn't test drive today, I was afraid it might push me over the edge, but I do remember it was the drivetrain that turned me off a couple years ago. The 6 speed auto and the peaky power delivery in comparison with BMW's turbo 6 and Audi's supercharged 6 weren't doing it for me at the time...I'm thinking I could live with the GS NA V6 though, especially with the Toyota/Lexus reliability of that engine, I could run it hard all day and it'll never miss a beat....

Anyone gone from a 3 series (Preferably F30 current gen) to the GS? Thoughts?
I don't feel that the Cadillac drives better than the Lexus, IMO I feel like the Caddies are sluggish!
Old 12-23-16, 05:40 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Originally Posted by PAPI007
I don't feel that the Cadillac drives better than the Lexus, IMO I feel like the Caddies are sluggish!
Chassis/turn in is better on the caddy IMO. The drivetrains are a different story...I probably should have been more specific.
Old 12-23-16, 05:45 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Haven't driven a caddy.

The 335i would be closer to an IS. It sounds like you wanting to upgrade a little to a bigger car and a little more luxury.

I have not gone from a 3 series per se. I don't think I could ever not have a BMW in the stable. Particularly a 3 series or smaller. Anything larger and I start to question why I want a BMW boat.

I have a 435i convertible for sunny days and when I want to get crazy. And then we have the Lexus CT and the NX for daily drivers.

But the BMW 5 series and the GS are my top picks for luxury sports sedans.

Last edited by chuckNX; 12-23-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 05:58 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Haven't driven a caddy.

The 335i would be closer to an IS. It sounds like you wanting to upgrade a little to a bigger car and a little more luxury.

I have not gone from a 3 series per se.I don't think I could ever not have a BMW in the stable. Particularly a 3 series or smaller. Anything larger and I start to question why I want a BMW boat.

I have a 435i convertible for sunny days and when I want to get crazy. And then we have the Lexus CT and the NX for daily drivers.
Actually, I want something that's a bit more engaging to drive. My 3 series is good, it's got the M Sport package, but the steering is blah, ESPECIALLY compared with my wife's X3 which drives fantastic, great steering, great turn in, well tuned suspension (i.e. firm without being harsh).
Old 12-23-16, 06:15 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Actually, I want something that's a bit more engaging to drive. My 3 series is good, it's got the M Sport package, but the steering is blah, ESPECIALLY compared with my wife's X3 which drives fantastic, great steering, great turn in, well tuned suspension (i.e. firm without being harsh).
I am not sure what year the X3 is. BMW went to electric steering a few years ago and hasn't seemed to get the software just right across the models. On my 435i the steering is electric but it sport mode it tightens up to what I was used to from BMWs of yesteryear.
Old 12-23-16, 08:02 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I am not sure what year the X3 is. BMW went to electric steering a few years ago and hasn't seemed to get the software just right across the models. On my 435i the steering is electric but it sport mode it tightens up to what I was used to from BMWs of yesteryear.
2014 X3, my 335i is a 2015, I'm not sure either with regard to electric steering deployment but the difference in the feedback her X3 has vs my 3 series is ridiculous, here's is MUCH better.